VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    VideoController.info
    Search PM
    Hello everybody, I want to share a new extension with you all: Video Controller (Firefox)

    It scans network traffic for video links and when found, it creates m3u playlists that can be used to send videos directly to VLC player with 1 click.

    Some of the advantages include:

    1. No more advertisements/interruptions (Only the direct link to the chosen video is sent to VLC so ad's cannot be inserted by the origin website).
    2. Watch videos in full screen, even if the originating website doesn't allow it. (Useful on betting sites such as Bet365, Betfair, Ladbrokes, William Hill etc).
    3. Watch an unlimted number of events from multiple sites at once (multi screen)
    4. Record/save videos with VLC whereas this would not be possible when viewing videos online
    5. Save CPU resources by sending videos to VLC and closing down the website. (4 videos in VLC is roughly equal to displaying 1 online video and it's corresponding web page).
    6. It's also possible to open videos in a new tab and play them in a lightweight player (again saving CPU resources, as the originating website can then be closed)

    Here is a video of the extension in action: Youtube Video

    Video Controller is compatible with a vast number of websites, including:

    Image
    [Attachment 60491 - Click to enlarge]


    Video Controller Homepage

    It's currently pending verification on the Chrome store and will be available for Chrome as soon as approved by Google.

    Feedback is welcomed and appreciated. If you find encounter any problems or have any feature requests, please post here or get in touch via Email

    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Your extension may have some value. Whether it is appropriate to 'sell' it on the basis of Gambling or Porn sites is questionable.


    But your website is the 'pits'. You appear to have simply borrowed a template from another and not bothered or inacapable of adapting it for your own. For example your contact page will go no where - and even if it did you would not have a clue who sent the message and a means of replying.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    VideoController.info
    Search PM
    Well, the extension is, and always will be, 100% free so nothing is for sale here. Gambling and porn are both 2 perfectly legal pastimes that are enjoyed by many millions of people daily. This extension would be very useful to those people as it removes limitations and adds many new features to enhance their viewing pleasure. I don't see how it's questionable to point that out.

    The website is a 1/month Ionos setup that, as you guessed, is simply a re-useable template. I'm aware that it needs a couple of finishing touches, I'm quite capable.

    Anyway thanks for the input, I hope you find the extension useful.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Your extension ...
    Sigh. Everyone is a critic. Methinks you pushed those sticks too far up your nose.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ChasVideo View Post

    Sigh. Everyone is a critic. Methinks you pushed those sticks too far up your nose.

    At least my sticks are up my nose. I hate to think where yours are


    For the record I was not being critical of the actual extension. No doubt it will have some usefulness - I do not need it since I can record/download anything I so desire.


    My issue was with it's 'selling' point - that has nothing to do with commerce. I do not gamble. I do respect anyone's choice to do that even if it can turn in to an addiction - gamble all the more to try and get back your losses.


    I have been known to visit some of those Pron sites. I state this not to appear hypercritical. However, AFAIK, online pron is not legal in the UK - governments have made several attempts to outlaw it and in the end left it to ISP's and parental controls to, hopefully, ensure that only adults could access it (personal choice) - it is tolerated.


    Surely the OP could have chosen more family-friendly sites to 'sell' this. That is my critique.


    But the website needs more than 'a couple of finishing touches'. That was IMHO a justifial remark.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Could be useful in certain situations especially for inexperienced users who are incapable of discovering their own m3u8s.

    For me, a better option would have been to launch it in VLC or OBS, although I realize OBS is not a user-friendly app for beginners - or have an option/choice to do so - because VLC-record is about as bad as it gets.
    Last edited by codehound; 30th Aug 2021 at 06:57.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    VideoController.info
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    Could be useful in certain situations especially for inexperienced users who are incapable of discovering their own m3u8s.
    That's true, but I'm a user that can find my own m3u fles and I use the extension every day because instead of 7+ steps:

    1. Open dev console
    2. Network traffic
    3. Search
    4. Copy link
    5. Open VLC
    6. Open menu and "open network stream"
    7. Paste link and open

    The extension simplifies and streamlines that whole process down to a single click.

    Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    For me, a better option would have been to launch it in VLC
    I'm not sure what you mean by this because this is what it currently does (as seen in the video)

    Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    For me, a better option would have been to launch it in VLC or OBS
    It can do this, in fact it can open the m3u with whatever program you have set as your default file handler for m3u files. If you have VLC as the m3u default file handler on your device, then VLC will open. But if you have OBS as the default handler, then the m3u will be opened with OBS.

    For example in Windows 10: "Under Win10 settings, click Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type, then choose the program you want to associate."

    If you do this for m3u files, whichever program you choose, will open the m3u when they are clicked in the extension.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    VideoController.info
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But the website needs more than 'a couple of finishing touches'. That was IMHO a justifial remark.
    I just spent 10 seconds on the site and removed the unedited pages. It seems pretty fine to me now. What else more would you suggest it needs?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Nah.


    You are the web 'master'. You work out what is required.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VideoController.info View Post
    Well, the extension is, and always will be, 100% free so nothing is for sale here.....
    Just how dumb do you think all the users here are? They're not so dumb that they can't spot a 2 bit hustler. The users are for sale.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VideoController.info View Post
    Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    Could be useful in certain situations especially for inexperienced users who are incapable of discovering their own m3u8s.
    That's true, but I'm a user that can find my own m3u fles and I use the extension every day because instead of 7+ steps:

    1. Open dev console
    2. Network traffic
    3. Search
    4. Copy link
    5. Open VLC
    6. Open menu and "open network stream"
    7. Paste link and open

    The extension simplifies and streamlines that whole process down to a single click.

    Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    For me, a better option would have been to launch it in VLC
    I'm not sure what you mean by this because this is what it currently does (as seen in the video)

    Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    For me, a better option would have been to launch it in VLC or OBS
    It can do this, in fact it can open the m3u with whatever program you have set as your default file handler for m3u files. If you have VLC as the m3u default file handler on your device, then VLC will open. But if you have OBS as the default handler, then the m3u will be opened with OBS.

    For example in Windows 10: "Under Win10 settings, click Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type, then choose the program you want to associate."

    If you do this for m3u files, whichever program you choose, will open the m3u when they are clicked in the extension.
    not all websites allow opening of dev tools though and you'll get the dreaded "paused in debugger" error.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    VideoController.info
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Originally Posted by VideoController.info View Post
    Well, the extension is, and always will be, 100% free so nothing is for sale here.....
    Just how dumb do you think all the users here are? They're not so dumb that they can't spot a 2 bit hustler. The users are for sale.
    You say this with no knowledge whatsoever about the inner workings of the extension. Just FYI, it has no tracking in it whatsoever, it doesnt even have google analytics. If you care to verify this you can add the extension, navigate to the folder in your FF user profile where it's installed, unzip the contents and check the code.

    Jealous and offensive people like you are generally best ignored, and normally I would have done that. But I thought I'd point out that you are totally wrong before ignoring any other incorrect and offensive comments you care to make.

    Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    Could be useful in certain situations especially for inexperienced users who are incapable of discovering their own m3u8s.
    That's true, but I'm a user that can find my own m3u fles and I use the extension every day because instead of 7+ steps:

    1. Open dev console
    2. Network traffic
    3. Search
    4. Copy link
    5. Open VLC
    6. Open menu and "open network stream"
    7. Paste link and open

    The extension simplifies and streamlines that whole process down to a single click.

    Originally Posted by codehound View Post

    not all websites allow opening of dev tools though and you'll get the dreaded "paused in debugger" error.
    Yes I have come across such websites. In such cases the extension would be of great use because it's able to bypass the pause break and offer the m3u/mpd/mp4 links to the user, without the need to open dev tools.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hey this is quite cool.

    Just wanted to bring this other software to your attention since it might be easier to manage "Grid" or the layout; it call GridPlayer https://www.videohelp.com/software/GridPlayer

    It used VLC as it player I believe, perhaps it is something you may consider looking into.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    VideoController.info
    Search PM
    That's really cool man, I haven't seen that before, would be cool for users of the extension. I'll have a play around with it, cheers.
    Quote Quote