VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Dude, you really shouldn't speak of which you do not know.

Cute quote, but you notice it actually does NOT say specifically which actual lenses are that way. But I checked out your lens (ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar® T*, as per the manual) and it is NOT parfocal, but vario-focal. Just like its NAME says. And - surprise - a simple google search of "parfocal lens for nikon dslr" will show you that, while nikon itself only has made 1, there are PLENTY of options out there, since those lenses are swappable. And you didn't even check to see which ones LS has.

Plus, parfocal is not such a game changer that you want to make it out to be. Any veteran cameraperson can and WOULD be able to pull focus if necessary while zooming. I can do it with my cameras (all of which are variofocus).
    This argument reminds me of a driver that doesn't know how to break AND clutch at the same time so needs to brag about automatic transmission.

Also, for MOST applications, a Deity mic is a MUCH more appropriate tool for on-camera-viewpoint sound than a built-in mic. It has better directionality, better quality transducer with better sensitivity, and can be outfitted with deadcat to muffle wind noise - which built-in mics can never do. Yeah, it isn't stereo, but there ARE stereo attachable mics, and I would ALWAYS recommend those over ANY built-in camera mic. And speaking as a live sound recordist for 30+ years, doing binaural and ambisonic work, the "surround" audio from built-in mics is a bit of a gimmic.

Of course, if you were really into audio quality, you would be doing double system, with the mic(s) positioned optimally for audio, not for video.

Scott
    Scott, I maintain my previous statements, Almost ALL Japan brand prosumer Camcorders have parfocal lens, while still cameras DSLRs did not have that, and you can not even buy such a lens system for still cameras under 10 000 $

The direct ancestor of AX700 , the Ax100 had parfocal lenses. https://photographypx.com/best-professional-video-cameras/

External mounted mics like Deity has very bad quality, if you try to record a couple of people sitting in a room, because they are often too directional. To record a party of a conversation where there are a lot of people around you, the internal mics of camcorders provide better quality audio.
    Last edited by Truthler; 7th Dec 2021 at 16:06.

Search PM
    No.

You claim all these camcorders have true parfocal lenses? Which ones? Want to list them, with references?

That article lists the 100 yes, but that is not your camera.
    And their info may be flawed - I see no actual specs from Sony that states it is capable of that, nor that yours is. I suspect the reviewer of the article just felt it was within the margin of focus to be considered as such.

You really are out of your depth WRT sound. If you are trying to record people sitting in a room, probably one of the WORST choices for audio is to use a camera mounted mic, whether it is a 3rd party add-on (Deity) or a built-in one.

ALL of the respected pro/semipro audio sites and most of the videographer ones recommend directional shotguns over built-ins. Not least of which has to do with isolation from camera, and cam operator, noise. As well as better transducer quality.

Look at it this way in terms of your referenced example production:
    Whether you are recording from an onlooker perspective or an insider/participant perspective, you DO want directionality to "focus" the intended voice as the dominant one at that moment, but you also need nearness for clarity and reduction of confounding room ambience - AND you want stability of perspective. The best choice is a directed overhead shotgun boom mic (mono), or a ceiling directional mic array, or a tabletop boundary mic(s), or set of lavaliers (mixed together), or even old-school sets of mics on stands (table or floor).
    Or if you want to stage it as a "found environment" with natural multichannel ambience and less speaker dominance changes, you would use a floorstand/ceiling-mounted stereo/multichannel/binaural/ambi mic set that NEVER moves, and the mind would gloss over the A/V perspective disconnect.

But if ONLY on-cam mics were available, a directional mono mic would more closely match any change in camera "perspective" exhibited by repositioning or panning, while not also affecting viewer playback environment. Look to the left, person A is being focused on and their sound gets louder in relation, look back to the right and person B gets louder. And it matches the camera's movements, yet is still the same stable environment to the end listener, who may be listening with speakers or headphones. A stereo or multichannel built-in setup that follows panning would exhibit a form of "shifting room" effect, as the ambience/environment would be shifting perspective along with the direct sound source, and that is more distracting/confusing to the viewer. NOT professional.

I suspect you keep thinking like a video person and not an audio person, forgetting the the 2 should not be approached the same way and the choices made for optimum quality diverge greatly with respect to positioning and perspective.

So, I'm curious, what does this or any of the last 20-odd posts have to do with lossless NVENC HEVC capture with camlink?
    You have been going off on different tangents to boost your cam's cred, but it's really unnecessary. As I stated, your cam is pretty decent as a prosumer cam. Would I recommend it for moviemaking? Probably not, unless "guerilla" or "indie" style. Would I recommend it for its audio? NOPE, in that respect it is just average for its class.
    But if you have been given suggestions on ways to avoid quality issues in capture, there's no need to deflect as a defense mechanism. Just take the suggestions and try them out, using scientific methods as your guide.

Scott

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Truthler View Post
    AX700 is not a consumer product, but a prosumer product.
    Prosumer is a transition between consumer and professional level.
    Semantics. Prosumer is used by serious/rich consumers/hobbyists, and as backup by pros. The difference is generally that consumers fail to understand it's not "pro", and the pros tend to overly dismiss it as "not pro". Neither are correct.

ALL Prosumer camcorders have parafocal objectives
    No.

Moreover AX700 have built in ND filters too.
    That's a good thing?

About audio. Deity is a good mic for the external outdoor street recording category, but it is not even close to the sound quality of built-in mics of pro-sumer camecorders during indoor (room) recordings.
    In room recording? That camcorder will equally suck, due to reverb and single location. My concern was outdoor audio, but not "street". Sometimes indoor studio setting, audio is narrative, and pets, I'm not recording music.

Deity produces only dual mono sound instead of real stereo (My two AX700s have real stereo, my FDR Ax53 has dolby 5.1 mic set.
    Single-mic stereo is (usually) a gimmick, "surround" is just laughable nonsense.

Deity is produced in USA, a country which is generally not trustable in the quality of its industrial products. That's why USA was ousted from global industrial export markets of the first world countries by Germany both in quantity and quality terms since the late 1980s . Especially in audio-visual electronics, the American products were superseded by Japan products since the 1970s.
    WTF? No.

And you didn't even check to see which ones LS has.
    FYI, I prefer primes for video. Zooming is generally newbie fodder, or style, or need (ie, baseball games). Not a newbie, not my style, no need. The new pancake Nikkor Z f2 has minimal breathing.

And honestly, what's the big deal with parfocal? Dynamic focus is amazing these days. And the breathing is generally far less worse than the style of "shake the hell out of the camera" (a style I've hated for the past 2 decades now). In fact, there's something to be said for a zoom and slow deblur, style.

I suspect you keep thinking like a video person and not an audio person, forgetting the the 2 should not be approached the same way and the choices made for optimum quality diverge greatly with respect to positioning and perspective.
    This is a great example of video skills. Again, I'm not a shooter, I currently do well to not make technical mistakes. Shooting audio is a unique skill set, and again for video. Adjacent concepts, but very different. And it's complete different again from post-edit projects, where my skills are. Not just mere conversion, but restoration (salvage, even). Too many novices think they are masters of every video/audio skill simply because they (usually partially) know one (aka, "know enough to be dangerous", such as vomiting out misinformation which another newbie may unknowingly believe to be fact).

As I stated, your cam is pretty decent as a prosumer cam.
    Same for me. It's not bad at all. Just don't pretend it the best camera ever, and all other cameras are bad. No. Nonsense. It has strengths, it has weaknesses.

lossless NVENC HEVC
    This is such an oxymoron. It's compressed, the end. I can get H.265 from my Atomos Ninja V. Next on my shopping list is a post-M1 Mac Mini. C'mon Apple, gimme that M2! Without horsepower, editing HEVC/265 is a PITA. For me, it's a great compromise for space (and thus costs). It seems so odd to see Truthler argue some imagined ultimate" quality in one breath, and then wants to compress it in another. Make up your mind.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    AX700 is not a consumer product, but a prosumer product.
    Prosumer is a transition between consumer and professional level.
    Semantics. Prosumer is used by serious/rich consumers/hobbyists, and as backup by pros. The difference is generally that consumers fail to understand it's not "pro", and the pros tend to overly dismiss it as "not pro". Neither are correct.

ALL Prosumer camcorders have parafocal objectives
    No.

Moreover AX700 have built in ND filters too.
    That's a good thing?

About audio. Deity is a good mic for the external outdoor street recording category, but it is not even close to the sound quality of built-in mics of pro-sumer camecorders during indoor (room) recordings.
    In room recording? That camcorder will equally suck, due to reverb and single location. My concern was outdoor audio, but not "street". Sometimes indoor studio setting, audio is narrative, and pets, I'm not recording music.

Deity produces only dual mono sound instead of real stereo (My two AX700s have real stereo, my FDR Ax53 has dolby 5.1 mic set.
    Single-mic stereo is (usually) a gimmick, "surround" is just laughable nonsense.

Deity is produced in USA, a country which is generally not trustable in the quality of its industrial products. That's why USA was ousted from global industrial export markets of the first world countries by Germany both in quantity and quality terms since the late 1980s . Especially in audio-visual electronics, the American products were superseded by Japan products since the 1970s.
    WTF? No.

And you didn't even check to see which ones LS has.
    FYI, I prefer primes for video. Zooming is generally newbie fodder, or style, or need (ie, baseball games). Not a newbie, not my style, no need. The new pancake Nikkor Z f2 has minimal breathing.

And honestly, what's the big deal with parfocal? Dynamic focus is amazing these days. And the breathing is generally far less worse than the style of "shake the hell out of the camera" (a style I've hated for the past 2 decades now). In fact, there's something to be said for a zoom and slow deblur, style.

This is a great example of video skills. Again, I'm not a shooter, I currently do well to not make technical mistakes. Shooting audio is a unique skill set, and again for video. Adjacent concepts, but very different. And it's complete different again from post-edit projects, where my skills are. Not just mere conversion, but restoration (salvage, even). Too many novices think they are masters of every video/audio skill simply because they (usually partially) know one (aka, "know enough to be dangerous", such as vomiting out misinformation which another newbie may unknowingly believe to be fact).

As I stated, your cam is pretty decent as a prosumer cam.
    Same for me. It's not bad at all. Just don't pretend it the best camera ever, and all other cameras are bad. No. Nonsense. It has strengths, it has weaknesses.

lossless NVENC HEVC
    This is such an oxymoron. It's compressed, the end. I can get H.265 from my Atomos Ninja V. Next on my shopping list is a post-M1 Mac Mini. C'mon Apple, gimme that M2! Without horsepower, editing HEVC/265 is a PITA. For me, it's a great compromise for space (and thus costs). It seems so odd to see Truthler argue some imagined ultimate" quality in one breath, and then wants to compress it in another. Make up your mind.
    AX700 have parfocal lens, and exactly the same system as AX100. You will never have parfocal lens.
    Deity is worse than the built in mix set in indoor conditions.

And I will repeat the simple hard-fact (learn economic history, it is an interesting subject )
    That's why USA was ousted from global industrial export markets of the first world countries by Germany both in quantity and quality terms since the late 1980s . Especially in audio-visual electronics, the American products were superseded by Japan products since the 1970s.

Haven't you heard about the mathematically lossless HEVC encoder of NVIDIA cards? It's an old story. LEARN: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Nvidia_NVENC
    You can simply record the uncompressed HDMI signal of the camera with the help of the Nvidia card.
    Why is it so complicated to understand for you?
    Last edited by Truthler; 10th Dec 2021 at 06:17.

Search Comp PM
    Parfocal? No.

Deity worse than built-in? Right.

USA wasn"t "ousted" from anything. No, it was desire to cut costs that moved manufacturing to Asia. Yes, that started in the 70s, you got something right at least. But since the 90s, Japan and Europe now outsource as well. Japan to rest of Asia, Western Europe to Asia and Eastern Europe. You act as if this isn't common knowledge. It's why Walmart is full of cheap Chinese shit. Or eBay and Amazon, etc. Great example = those horrid Easycap cards, garbage. Some UK person had the "bright idea" to make/dropship it from China, and then it got further KO'd by Chinese stealing plans (typical) and making it cheaper/worse (typical). Some/most/all of your precious Sony camcorder is made in non-Japan Asia. We live in a global economy, and have for decades.

The fact is you're calling a highly compressed format "lossless", which is fine in the right context. But to act as if it means "uncompressed" is false.

6. Banned
    Search PM
    Parfocal? No.

Deity worse than built-in? Right.

USA wasn"t "ousted" from anything. No, it was desire to cut costs that moved manufacturing to Asia. Yes, that started in the 70s, you got something right at least. But since the 90s, Japan and Europe now outsource as well. Japan to rest of Asia, Western Europe to Asia and Eastern Europe. You act as if this isn't common knowledge. It's why Walmart is full of cheap Chinese shit. Or eBay and Amazon, etc. Great example = those horrid Easycap cards, garbage. Some UK person had the "bright idea" to make/dropship it from China, and then it got further KO'd by Chinese stealing plans (typical) and making it cheaper/worse (typical). Some/most/all of your precious Sony camcorder is made in non-Japan Asia. We live in a global economy, and have for decades.

The fact is you're calling a highly compressed format "lossless", which is fine in the right context. But to act as if it means "uncompressed" is false.
    USA was outsed from European first world markets, due to lack of competence and quality of engineering. No wonder , due to the low level of education, USA have very low ratio of native-born scientific Nobel awards per capita. Very low.

Why do you call the mathematically lossless codecs like NVENC HEVC Ut video Huffyuv etc... as highly compressed?
    Last edited by Truthler; 11th Dec 2021 at 07:41.

Search PM
    So what you you are saying is:

You need confimation that your capture method is of the highest quality.

But when confronted with holes in your methods, you go down an increasingly divergent and bizarre series of rabit holes of topics and hyperbolic proclaimations and braggadocio, even when repeatedly faced with facts counter to those claims.

Culminating in national and personal insulting and taunting.

Yep, classic TROLL.

No need to engage further.

Scott

8. Banned
    Search PM
    So what you you are saying is:

You need confimation that your capture method is of the highest quality.

But when confronted with holes in your methods, you go down an increasingly divergent and bizarre series of rabit holes of topics and hyperbolic proclaimations and braggadocio, even when repeatedly faced with facts counter to those claims.

Culminating in national and personal insulting and taunting.

Yep, classic TROLL.

No need to engage further.

Scott
    Dear Corni, which of my statements has been refuted? Neither of them.

9. Banned
    Search PM
    https://youtu.be/IjzYaSBaD1U?t=607

As I told you, the AX700 has PARAFOCAL LENS, it is not so common even among the professional camcorders.

Search Comp PM
    NP. This must be only topic that has been started by you that has not been closed for whatever reason.

Believe what you want to believe. Believe that a lens costing more than the total cost of your pro-consumer camera has such a feature.

But do not attempt to fool even an avg user - I do not know where that reviewer got his 'facts' from. And that his critical here. Any 'John Doe' can make spurious claims yet he is rarely challenged to back up such claims. And even Sony could, themselves, make the same. Is it in your user manual ?

But Sony's own info, unless I am wrong , contained info that the lens had a coating to minimise certain issues. The coating that you removed. If we are to believe what you removed.

11. Banned
    Search PM
    Yes, DSLRs don't use that parfocal lens tech, only high end camcorders in studios. This is the first time ( with Ax100 ad AX700) that a prosumer camcorders use such technology.

So according to you the professional cameraman of a big TV company in the video is a liar.

Here is another source for that, written by Allan Tepper: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:lOw646UTRkEJ:https://24hinh.vn/th...trip=1&vwsrc=0

Yes that Allan Tepper: https://allantepper.com

Doug Jensen professional also confirm it speaking about Z90 (the very same camera with professional XLR audio addition)

here at DV info: https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-536100.html

Doug Jensen
    "July 31st, 2018, 06:50 PM
    Hi Simon,

Yes, the lens is parfocal.
    Yes, you can pull focus manually."

Yes, that Doug Jensen::
    https://dougjensen.com/
    Last edited by Truthler; 4th Mar 2022 at 14:56.

Search Comp PM
    As I told you, the AX700 has PARAFOCAL LENS, it is not so common even among the professional camcorders.
    Some random on Youtube said so --- it must be true!

only high end camcorders in studios.
    Studios don't use camcorders.

So according to you the professional cameraman of a big TV company in the video is a liar.
    I know you're just a kid, and when you're young, here's a secret: professionals can be incompetent, a-holes, etc. Being a pro means you generally (a) have some education and experience, (b) get paid in that field.

So is this guy a liar? Could be.
    But more likely is mistake, slipshod, even incompetent. It happens. Too often.

Note: I didn't watch/read those reviews, don't care, no time for this nonsense.

Here is another source for that, written by Allan Tepper:
    Yes that Allan Tepper:
    I'm always amused by this "cult of personality" that we seem to now live in. I have no idea who that is. And I don't really give a rat's ass. It looks to be a guy with a review blog. Well good for him.

Doug Jensen professional also confirm it speaking about Z90 (the very same camera with professional XLR audio addition)
    Doug Jensen
    Yes, that Doug Jensen:: https://dougjensen.com/
    OH WOW, the ... oh wait ... who? Namedropping isn't really that impressive. It's some guy that shoots video. Good for him. Education, experience, job.

Keep going to school Mr. Student, learn stuff, do stuff, and someday maybe you too can be namedropped!
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 5th Mar 2022 at 12:03.

13. Banned
    Search PM
    Some random on Youtube said so --- it must be true!

only high end camcorders in studios.
    Studios don't use camcorders.

I know you're just a kid, and when you're young, here's a secret: professionals can be incompetent, a-holes, etc. Being a pro means you generally (a) have some education and experience, (b) get paid in that field.

So is this guy a liar? Could be.
    But more likely is mistake, slipshod, even incompetent. It happens. Too often.

Here is another source for that, written by Allan Tepper:
    Yes that Allan Tepper:
    I'm always amused by this "cult of personality" that we seem to now live in. I have no idea who that is. And I don't really give a rat's ass. It looks to be a guy with a review blog. Well good for him.

Doug Jensen
    Yes, that Doug Jensen:: https://dougjensen.com/
    OH WOW, the ... oh wait ... who? Namedropping isn't really that impressive. It's some guy that shoots video. Good for him. Education, experience, job.

Keep going to school Mr. Student, learn stuff, do stuff, and someday maybe you too can be namedropped!

According to Canon, this is a camcorder:

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-861d3d8933d5d9868e836d520142753e.webp

According to Sony, this is a camcorder:

http://www.photographybay.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Sony-NEX-EA50UH.jpg

According to JVC, this is a camcorder: https://image.shutterstock.com/z/stock-photo-professional-tv-camcorder-with-huge-zoom-...1277401774.jpg

Yes, broadcast cameras are camcorders too.

I proved that AX700 had parafocal lens system. You don't have even the camera, but you want to know better than these professional guys, who worked with contless cameras during their career. What is the credibility behind your statement? Now you had to find reference quote, which clearly DENY the parafocal lens sysem in AX700. You can't find such.....

I think you are just envy, because DSLRs don't have that tech.
    Last edited by Truthler; 4th Mar 2022 at 16:10.

Search Comp PM
    You have proved nothing. I have watched other reviews of this camcorder that make no mention.

Even Sony do not use the term

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/handycam-camcorders/fdr-ax700#af-headline

Search PM
    You might get a bit more traction if you understood the difference between "parfocal" and "parafocal" and used them appropriately.

Also, "camcorder" = "camera" + "recorder". IOW, if you don't have a recorder then it isn't a camcorder.
    But nowadays, some people stretch the meaning of recorder to include any form of storage. If taken to the extreme, a smartphone could be called that, but in reality, nobody in their right mind would. So there are limits. You seem to like to frequently step beyond those limits in your hyperbole.

And I already showed you earlier in the thread and I think via PM how those reviews do not say what you seem to think they say.

Scott

16. My understanding of camcorder is a device made for recording video without any addons (such as external display, converter and storage space)

Search Comp PM
    FTR I took the OP's use of 'Parafocal' as a typo. Even when I search for the word I am redirected to 'Parfocal'

If there is such a word then maybe we can both learn from the difference.

But Sony use the word 'varifocal' and 'Hybrid autofocus' so are quite careful not to mislead the majority of people who purchase this kit.

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm surprised, a thread started by Truthler that hasn't been locked yet, so I've just wasted half an hour of my life to see what ridiculous garbage he is spouting this time and haven't been disappointed. First I had a look at the Sony site to see what this amazing AX700 he keeps going on about and the clue is in Sony's own description, Handycam. It's, in their own words, a consumer camcorder with some pro features. Take note that pros even use a Go-Pro if it suits the need but that doesn't make it a pro piece of kit, it's a tool to do a job. Sony go to great lengths, as do you, on the auto focus and the lenses that stay in focus when zooming but most pro's don't use auto focus, that is done by the camera operator. It has, "More functional, enhanced menu Adapted from Sony professional camcorders" (which looks remarkably similar to that on my Sony HVR-Z7E) and "Versatile, professional-style functions".

Face it, it's a Handycam, it's intended for the consumer market. One that is capable of decent quality (in the right hands) but it is still a consumer market product with a few pro style functions. These https://pro.sony/en_GB/products/handheld-camcorders/ are pro market camcorders.

As for suggesting that the built in mic does a good job, what a joke! Depending on what you are shooting a shotgun, or number of shotgun mics and a separate, remote, audio recorder then sort out the relative levels in post. I would say all the gear no idea, but you don't even have all the gear.....

19. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    FTR I took the OP's use of 'Parafocal' as a typo. Even when I search for the word I am redirected to 'Parfocal'

If there is such a word then maybe we can both learn from the difference.

But Sony use the word 'varifocal' and 'Hybrid autofocus' so are quite careful not to mislead the majority of people who purchase this kit.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parfocal_lens

Parfocal lenses are superior in a comparison with non-parfocal lens systems. NO DSLRs have ever contained such parfocal systems.
    Last edited by Truthler; 5th Mar 2022 at 06:19.

20. Banned
    Search PM
    Simple user manual handbook what DB83 posted is not a detailed description of the camcorder, because it contains few info. It is not a detailed service book for the technicians in special repair shops.

IT does not say which type of lens system the Camcorder has, there is not more technical info about the camcorder in such user's manual what an average web shop share with the buyers...
    Last edited by Truthler; 5th Mar 2022 at 06:24.

21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It isn't a user manual, it's Sony's own webpage extolling the virtues of the camcorder and also includes detailed specs if you care to look at it. A service book tells you how to take it apart when it breaks and gives circuit diagrams and calibration information, not the specification of it. If you scroll to the bottom of the webpage you'll see a button marked Full Specifications, where it clearly states the lens is a ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T*, so all your bragging about parfocal lenses is irrelevant, you don't have one, you have a varifocal lens, it says so on it.

22. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    It isn't a user manual, it's Sony's own webpage extolling the virtues of the camcorder and also includes detailed specs if you care to look at it. A service book tells you how to take it apart when it breaks and gives circuit diagrams and calibration information, not the specification of it. If you scroll to the bottom of the webpage you'll see a button marked Full Specifications, where it clearly states the lens is a ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T*, so all your bragging about parfocal lenses is irrelevant, you don't have one, you have a varifocal lens, it says so on it.

No it is not enough detail, Only Service repaiaring books show sufficient technical details. C'mon you must prove that it does not have parfocal lens system, DESPITE the professional guy mentioned (who made a paid non public video series with 30 parts about the usage of the camera) it in the linked video and the above cited 3 other professional cameramen stated the parfocal lens system too. IT will be hard to prove your fantasy.

DSLRs are not for video, but for amateur teenagers, they don't have even parfocal lens systems, no wonder that the users of DSLRs make bad quality zooming.
    DSLRs don't have even dedicated buttons ... so they can do everything slowly, missing the important moments of the events. Why ?
    Last edited by Truthler; 5th Mar 2022 at 07:47.

23. Banned
    Search PM
    https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4486245

Another guy praise the AX700 PARFOCAL lens system: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4486245

This is the article about the uncountable advantages and superiority of camcorders over DSLRs. IT mention their parfocal lens system, which is impossible for DSLRs:
    https://lorrainecparker.tumblr.com/post/171457628818/traditional-camcorders-in-the-era-of

24. DSLRs are not for video, but for amateur teenagers
    You use Handycam unironically, making you the "amateur teenager". Maybe Mirrorless's and DSLR's have got no Parfocal lenses but zoom lenses are still available for them.

And let's not get into the laughable sensor size and image processing your camcorder uses

25. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    DSLRs are not for video, but for amateur teenagers
    You use Handycam unironically, making you the "amateur teenager". Maybe Mirrorless's and DSLR's have got no Parfocal lenses but zoom lenses are still available for them.

And let's not get into the laughable sensor size and image processing your camcorder uses
    Handycam has no meaning, it is a registered trademark only.

Sony PXW-Z90 , PXW-NX80 are not handycams, but professional camcorders, because thy have mounted XLR audio input, all of their other features are the same, lens system and imege sensor, menu system buttons etc... See: https://pro.sony/en_FI/products/handheld-camcorders/pxw-z90

However there is possiblity for XLR panel with audio adjust buttons for AX700 via the hotshoe.

26. It ain't professional it's pro-consumer.

Also, try making good photos with your camcorder.

27. Banned
    Search PM
    It ain't professional it's pro-consumer.

Also, try making good photos with your camcorder.
    Pro-summer Really?
    Can you read it?

https://pro.sony/en_FI/products/handheld-camcorders/pxw-z90

Who cares about photos?
    Last edited by Truthler; 5th Mar 2022 at 09:42.

Search Comp PM
    My understanding of camcorder is a device made for recording video without any addons (such as external display, converter and storage space)
    Pretty much. It's an all-in-one unit for consumers. "All that fancy stuff" is too hard for normal users. Try getting Joe Sixpack to change lens. Just be sure it's a camera and lens that you don't mind losing.

Sony's own description, Handycam. It's, in their own words, a consumer camcorder with some pro features. Take note that pros even use a Go-Pro if it suits the need but that doesn't make it a pro piece of kit, it's a tool to do a job.
    Face it, it's a Handycam, it's intended for the consumer market. One that is capable of decent quality (in the right hands) but it is still a consumer market product with a few pro style functions.
    The reason is that it does a bare minimum expectation, but it's essentially disposable. I have certain tool like that. It's used in places where I'd dare not take pricey tools. So if it gets destroyed, meh. Pros have consumables that most consumers would have fits about losing. That's true beyond video, but cars, sports -- anything.

what a joke!
    It's just a mouthy kid defending his purchases. We all know it. Open secret.

29. Banned
    Search PM
    My understanding of camcorder is a device made for recording video without any addons (such as external display, converter and storage space)
    Pretty much. It's an all-in-one unit for consumers. "All that fancy stuff" is too hard for normal users. Try getting Joe Sixpack to change lens. Just be sure it's a camera and lens that you don't mind losing.

Sony's own description, Handycam. It's, in their own words, a consumer camcorder with some pro features. Take note that pros even use a Go-Pro if it suits the need but that doesn't make it a pro piece of kit, it's a tool to do a job.
    Face it, it's a Handycam, it's intended for the consumer market. One that is capable of decent quality (in the right hands) but it is still a consumer market product with a few pro style functions.
    The reason is that it does a bare minimum expectation, but it's essentially disposable. I have certain tool like that. It's used in places where I'd dare not take pricey tools. So if it gets destroyed, meh. Pros have consumables that most consumers would have fits about losing. That's true beyond video, but cars, sports -- anything.

what a joke!
    It's just a mouthy kid defending his purchases. We all know it. Open secret.
    Professionals don't use DSLRs. DSLR is a stuff for guys who love to shot photos rather than videos. I also suggest to read the articles about the numerous advantages of camcorders over DSLRs. Click here: https://lorrainecparker.tumblr.com/post/171457628818/traditional-camcorders-in-the-era-of

No wonder that TVs & News gathering would never use such amateur devices like a DSLR. Neither serius film makers with big budget.

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So some bloke on a forum raves about a feature that he thinks it might have, I'd prefer to go by what the people that made it say. It has a ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* lens. Get it? The clue is in the name. The only 'advantage' of a parfocal lens, if you can call it that, I prefer to be in control of what is in focus and what isn't, is that the focus point doesn't change when zooming. I think even you would admit that? But as the manufacturers of your camcorder go to great lengths to describe the amazing high speed auto focus, doesn't that tell you something? The focus won't change when zooming because the auto focus system adjusts to keep whatever you are pointing it at in focus.

As for comparing it to a DSLR, what planet are you on? A DSLR is to take photographs and has far more options that your camcorder, or at least my obsolete Nikon D300S has so I suspect more recent ones can do even more. It can shoot video too, I even tried it once and decided it is a feature that is completely unnecessary. A camcorder is to shoot video not take photographs, although manufacturers may add the feature to keep the consumer happy. It isn't the tool you use, it's how you use it that gets quality.