VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/254043600986?hash=item3b262db85a:gz0AAOSwxDBe6Tz9

[Attachment 60468 - Click to enlarge]

Has anyone else tried them yet, or know anything about them one way or the other?

I'm inclined to be suspicious of them, since I've never even heard of this brand before, and everything I've read in the forums here says CMC Magnetics is the actual manufacturer of "Taiyo Yuden" media nowadays. Not to mention that $17 for a pack of 50 kind of implies that they're not A-list media no matter what their eBay listing claims...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Note that they only say that the MID (Media Identification Code) is the same as Taiyo Yuden. Nothing about the formula. Which isn't stated to be Taiyo Yuden and for their glass CDs, they state it's not, just the MID is Taiyo Yuden. Add to this that despite their claim to be Japan Quality, the factory, Litec is in Taiwan. Bottom line, we're pretending to be Taiyo Yuden discs under liecense.

Google translated:

"What is the Legend with PRO series?

We are committed to Japan quality and provide recording media that you can use with peace of mind under a thorough quality control system.

Legend with PRO is the culmination of optical disc technology cultivated by OBs in this industry over many years of experience! From the standpoint of optical disc design, from the standpoint of materials, from the standpoint of equipment and quality control, the know-how is passed on to the production contractor, Litec, Taiwan, and by realizing Japan quality, you can use it with confidence. It is an optical disc that can be used.

At the factory, in order to distinguish it from the conventional products of Litec, we have set up a dedicated production line for the purpose of this series and always provide stable and high quality discs.

Legend with PRO Overview

1) Recording characteristics equivalent to Japanese optical discs
    Not only materials, but also material preparation and material coating processes have been tuned on a dedicated production line of Litec to create optical discs that can be used under the same recording conditions as Japanese optical discs.

2) Playback characteristics equivalent to Japanese optical discs The
    Legend with PRO series has the same playback characteristics as Japanese optical discs, so it has excellent playback compatibility and can be used with peace of mind.

3) Achieves low error rate Achieves low error rate in
    various systems, making it ideal for business use.

4) Optimal for mass disk copying
    Since there is no disc sticking in the disc stacker that can be seen at duplication sites, you can use it with confidence with an automatic duplicator."

https://www.j-disc.com/product

The non-use of the Taiyo Yuden formula is confirmed by their statement about their glass CDs, which apparently went nowhere:

"Background of the birth of the glass CD-R

This product was commercialized in May 2016 by our company inheriting the technology accumulated from the joint research of Taiyo Yuden and Sailor Pen Co., Ltd. from 2012 to 2015.

As for the pigment, we procure and use cyanine, which was used under the That's brand. The dye is applied to a substrate made by the Sailor Pen Co., Ltd. glass disc manufacturing method, and it is manufactured using the know-how of both companies. The production line basically consists of equipment transferred from both companies.

The MID (manufacturer identification code) is TY (Taiyo Yuden), but a dedicated writing device TEAC DV-W5000U-SL is required to optimize the writing conditions for glass discs. Since you can play it on any drive device, you can play it on your own CD player."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what you quote is about cd-r's not dvd-r's.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the only time you needed "professional" dvd-rs was with multi-stack dvdr recorders that were making many copies at a time. the only dvdr that would work in them was this.

[Attachment 60469 - Click to enlarge]
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    what you quote is about cd-r's not dvd-r's.
    The second quote is about their glass CD-R, Legend Pro Crystal. The first quote is about both CDs and DVDs, Legend with Pro. The DVDs are are in the picture above the info.

Here's the Press Release .pdf that's much the same as what's on the website.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @aidepuss

Completely off topic, but there may, possibly, kinda sorta be a Versus sequel, https://elementsofmadness.com/2021/01/29/versus/

Given Kitamura's promises in the past, I'm not holding my breath, but definitely holding out hope! https://forum.videohelp.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=2629531

Edit: OMG! It's real! At least they filmed more than the trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AK7pehho0A

Edit 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbsLT6_Alwc
    Last edited by lingyi; 27th Aug 2021 at 23:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Note that they only say that the MID (Media Identification Code) is the same as Taiyo Yuden. Nothing about the formula. Which isn't stated to be Taiyo Yuden and for their glass CDs, they state it's not, just the MID is Taiyo Yuden. Add to this that despite their claim to be Japan Quality, the factory, Litec is in Taiwan. Bottom line, we're pretending to be Taiyo Yuden discs under liecense.
    That's pretty much what I suspected, really -- not actually Taiyo Yuden in any way; just a knockoff brand trading on TY's name recognition to try to lure in customers who don't realize it's not the same company anymore. I was just mildly curious if anyone had actually heard of these or tried them out already, and if anyone had anything good to say about them. Sounds like the answer to all three of those questions is "NO."

Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    the only time you needed "professional" dvd-rs was with multi-stack dvdr recorders that were making many copies at a time.
    Which is what I have, actually; I still have need of media that will work reliably in a duplicator stack like that. Fortunately, when the word went out that Taiyo Yuden and JVC were getting out of the DVD-R market and handing everything over to CMC Magnetics, I stocked up on 100pc spindles of the "good stuff" before the sub-par CMC discs started getting into the distribution channels, so I should be set for a while yet, but it would sure be nice to have some other viable options... (Wishful thinking at this point, I suppose...)
    Quote Quote