VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I am about to dump my TV licence (uk) for Netflix, but Netflix won't give me everything I would like to watch on tv.

My TV is an LG THX plasma with wifi usb and hdmi inputs.

What I would like is to be able to watch youtube on my tv without having to have a laptop booted up, along with a keyboard and mouse on the sofa with me.

YT took the app away from my tv some time ago, so that's a non starter, and even if it was still available, searching YT with a tv remote is no fun.

I could buy a chromecast and 'cast' my laptop screen to my tv, but that means having a laptop booted up and dealing with that from the sofa.

Is there an elegant solution that means I can watch YT on my tv with minimal fuss?

I don't mind a bluetooth mini keyboard with a trackpad on it to find my way around YT videos.

Cheers.

How are you watching YT on your tv without all the laptops keyboards and a mouse on your sofa?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I only have a 'dull' tv which means $ky. The tv in the other room is much 'smarter' and when I last looked there was YT support both on the tv or via the BD player.

Even if your tv has web-browser support or you plug in another usb dongle for such support you are back to some form of remote input.

But there surely is a potential 'catch' in your desire to drop the tv licence. That nice man in a van could still knock your door to satisfy himself that you have no means to receive any tv channels (not just the BBC) even if you are not going to watch them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

But there surely is a potential 'catch' in your desire to drop the tv licence. That nice man in a van could still knock your door to satisfy himself that you have no means to receive any tv channels (not just the BBC) even if you are not going to watch them.
    I look forward to the day I can unplug my 75ohm coax and melt it down.

I am really done with terrestrial tv.

It's time to not be fed with 'box ticking' viewing any more. My choice.

That said, there is no legal precedent for allowing a tv licence pirate to cross my doorstep unless he is accompanied by a police officer with a warrant.

I get what you are saying, I will need some kind of input device, I would just like an input device that doesn't mean a snake of usb leads across my sitting room to watch you tube cat videos.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    I am about to dump my TV licence (uk) for Netflix, but Netflix won't give me everything I would like to watch on tv.

My TV is an LG THX plasma with wifi usb and hdmi inputs.

What I would like is to be able to watch youtube on my tv without having to have a laptop booted up, along with a keyboard and mouse on the sofa with me.

Is there an elegant solution that means I can watch YT on my tv with minimal fuss?

How are you watching YT on your tv without all the laptops keyboards and a mouse on your sofa?
    https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Shield-Android-Streaming-Performance/dp/B07YP9FBMM/ref=s...0007214&sr=8-5
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At least you wrote 'cat'

(I guess that few if any on here get this 'joke' in the current context)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    At least you wrote 'cat'

Unfortunately, yes.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    Are you talking about the youtube live TV service? https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

Or do you just want to watch random youtube videos like you do in a brower, going to youtube.com and selecting videos?

A much cheaper alternative to the Nvidia Shield is the Google Chromecast with GoogleTV (US$50 rather than US$200):

https://store.google.com/us/product/chromecast_google_tv

It supports both the free Youtube app and the subscription YoutubeTV. It accesses the internet via WiFi, plugs directly into an HDMI port, and the remote is BT so it doesn't require line of site. It does need power from a wall wart, like the Shield. It's the best option if you can access everything you want via WiFi.

You can add a BT keyboard/mouse/trackpad. I've heard this one works:

https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Learning-Universal-iPazzPort-Bluetooth/dp/B077N9XJ7Q
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Maybe roku expiress for 30 bucks you can still download youtube app from the store for free.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    At least you wrote 'cat'

Shussssshhhhh...he may be like gamey, mention him too many times and he might suddenly appear! ....meowwwwwwww... See!

The only one I ever want to Beetlejuice us is lordsmurf!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Chromecast:

It does need power from a wall wart
    USB power; if the TV has a spare USB port, it power the Chromecast.

You can add a BT keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
    You can also use your Android phone/tablet by casting the YT phone app to your Chromecast.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My vote is for a Android box, which the Shield is a very nice customized version of with lots of bells and whistles, but you can get a really good Android box for less than half that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To everyone.

No. I am NOT referring to 'Cat Man'. More of a 'private' joke between me and the OP
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks for your advice and comments.

I think I will go for a firestick.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Chromecast:

That depends on which Chromecast someone owns. Unlike previous Chromecast versions, the Chromecast with Google TV can't use the TV's USB as its power source. It draws more current than a TV's USB ports provide.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Chromecast:

That depends on which Chromecast someone owns. Unlike previous Chromecast versions, the Chromecast with Google TV can't use the TV's USB as its power source. It draws more current than a TV's USB ports provide.
    Yes, the Chromecast with Google TV (the only one I would recommend) comes with a 5V 1.5 Amp (output) power supply. Typical TV USB ports can only supply 0.5 Amps (USB 2.0) to 0.9 Amps (USB 3.0). I tried using the USB 2.0 port on my TV -- it did not work.

Note that the Chromecast with Google TV is very unlike the original Chromecast devices. It has much more n common with the Android TV devices. Google TV is essentially an updated Android TV.
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Aug 2021 at 10:52.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    My vote is for a Android box, which the Shield is a very nice customized version of with lots of bells and whistles, but you can get a really good Android box for less than half that.
    Buyers should keep in mind that Android boxes with regular Android as their interface may not qualify as an approved device for some streaming apps.

If one can be found, an Android box with Android TV or Google TV as its operating system is a better option if someone wants to use the box mainly for watching subscription streaming services. Even then, some apps only install on devices officially approved by the service provider.

Also, with any Android box, controlling the apps that are designed for Android phones with a non-touch interface presents some challenges. A Bluetooth keyboard with a touchpad is an essential accessory if you want to use phone apps with an Android box. Even so, some are difficult to use or won't run on anything other than an approved Android phone.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have heard of some people who use a computer monitor with speakers connected to a streaming device or an all-in-one PC for streaming. Since there are no tuners present, would the TV license requirement apply?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ I have not done full research in to this but when you invoke BBC I-Player on a PC you can get asked to confirm that you have a tv licence. Of course anyone who accesses from anywhere can confirm but there must be some legal element to this as far as UK residents are concerned.

Mind you there has been quite a backlash lately about the licence fee. And not just from senior citizens who now have to pay when up to last year all IIRC 80+ had a free one.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ I have not done full research in to this but when you invoke BBC I-Player on a PC you can get asked to confirm that you have a tv licence. Of course anyone who accesses from anywhere can confirm but there must be some legal element to this as far as UK residents are concerned.
    That makes sense since BBC iPlayer content and service is funded by TV license fees. However, most streaming services (i.e. Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube Premium) content acquisition/production is funded entirely by subscription fees and advertising revenue or is provided by the public at no charge (YouTube).
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    To everyone.

No. I am NOT referring to 'Cat Man'. More of a 'private' joke between me and the OP
    The cat detector van?
    Quote Quote  
  21. I use Roku Express for years now, not sure how many years,
    always reliable, it is simple, just HDMI and power as inputs , it needs wi-fi. For Youtube there is an easy interface. If searching, sure there is a classic letter selection menu, but as soon as it finds key feature it is shown so you mostly never type the whole title. If there is an add to skip (after 5sec type of skip), you just press a button on remote control and it just goes back to a video. This also works like that for amazon or netflix interfaces, although there is less and less a sane content to be watched, so naturally youtube is watched a bit more.

Can android be set up to get rid of ads? Not sure. Using a PC together with a browser it is not a problem. So if ads are problem, then Roku is not a solution.
    Last edited by _Al_; 27th Aug 2021 at 15:07.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I have bought myself a Firestick Lite. £22. due to arrive on tuesday.
    Quote Quote  
  23. By the way, with many of the devices you can search by voice. Just hold down a button on the remote and speak into it. From personal experience this works pretty well on the Chromecast+GoogleTV and Roku Ultra. Probably some of Amazon devices too.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    If I never see Iplayer again, you won't hear me complain.
    I am so done with the BBC.

Back in 1964 I could trust the BBC to give me something I enjoyed, be on on the radio or the tv.
    Today my views are very different about this company.

The sooner I can choose what I pay for to watch or listen to, the better.
    The days of paying for something I don't care for, but 'have to pay for' are about over.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    I have bought myself a Firestick Lite. £22. due to arrive on tuesday.

Hope it works for you.

I linked to a more up-to-date version (for just a few tins of Whiskers extra). The potential issue is Alexa and the requirement of the Amazon app to set it up. My dad had an older Echo and the app could not see it. He bought the latest model and it set up real easy. Maybe through a tv things will be easier.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I thought the OP requested 'elegant' not cheapest solution. Nvm. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    I thought the OP requested 'elegant' not cheapest solution. Nvm. Good luck.
    It is elegant in the way it plugs right in to the tv out of sight and I can speak in to the remote control.

No keyboard or mouse.

Cost has nothing to do with it, so no need for your hollow criticism thanks.

As it is my first foray in to streaming tv this way I am not about to throw hundreds of pounds at it.

It has Netflix and Youtube so it fills the brief.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I repeat, good luck
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    I have bought myself a Firestick Lite. £22. due to arrive on tuesday.
    It seems OK for what you want to watch and the TV you want to use it with. My only concern is whether or not the device's processing power is sufficient at that price and whether it will overheat. You will soon find out if either of those problems exist. BTW, you essentially have an Android device. Fire OS is based on Android. Some people even sideload Android apps to run on their Fire TV device.
    Quote Quote