VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello there. This might be one for the archivists amongst you...

I've just acquired a Daewoo DVD recorder + VCR (DF-4501PV) from a charity shop to record a number of old VHS tapes I have. It plays prerecorded both but won't recognise blank discs when I insert one hoping to record. I've tried DVD-R and DVD+R and for both the icon showing the disc in the settings is greyed-out.

Is there another type of disc that might work, or do you think the record function is broken?

Many thanks for your time, any advice gratefully received.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The user manual states that it accepts DVD -R/+R and -RW/+RW. There are no other types of recordable disks.

However the manual, or at least the page I read for the above, does not state what recording speed disks it supports. Older units tended only to support 1x or 2x (maybe 4x/2x) whereas these days disks are 16x (The unit would still record as 1x since these speeds are for PC work). My older recorder refused to accept faster disks.

Mind you, using a dvd-recorder to transfer VHS is not the best method. Even getting it working you could end with poor quality/noisy recordings. Better to use the VHS and a capture device to a PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pgd19 View Post
    won't recognise blank discs when I insert one
    That's why it was in that shop.....even the big name DVD Recorders didn't last very long.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you, guys, this is terrific. I will take your advice DB83 and look into what you recommend. I really appreciate you taking the time to look over the manual and post a reply, very good of you. I clearly came to the right place here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Cleaning the lens of the drive is worth a try. I fixed DVD-players that were skipping discs and it was just due to dust on the laser's lens.
    Soak a soft Q-tip in alcohol so that it does not drip and then gently and ever so slightly hold it on the laser's lens and turn it (no swiping motions).

The drive is pretty much the same as an ordinary computer drive, minus the casing. Opening the top of the unit is often enough to reach the lens.
    Quote Quote  
  6. There actually lens brushes for this that will not scratch the lens...

I would try that before the Q tip (cotton swab) and alcohol...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Did the OP not say he can play dvds ?

I thought there was only one lens/laser in a dvd drive to do both reading and burning.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ^^ Did the OP not say he can play dvds ?

I thought there was only one lens/laser in a dvd drive to do both reading and burning.
    This is a significant point: when it comes to aging dvd recorders, a unit that doesn't recognize any discs at all (for either playback or recording) is perversely often easier to repair than a unit that will play but not recognize blanks. I just used the Q-tip + 91% alcohol trick to revive a friend's Magnavox H2160 that was not recognizing any discs at all. The Q tip came away blackened from accumulated pollution on the laser lens, probably because his apt is located over a highway and the AV cabinet is near windows. After cleaning, this old Magnavox recognized and burned discs like new.

You've typically got about a 50/50 chance that lens cleaning will revive a recorder that won't recognize discs. Cleaning discs may or may not be sufficient: sometimes only the Q-tip works. The "gotcha" with the Q-tip is you must be careful in handling it, and gaining access to the laser lens can be difficult in units with complicated drive enclosures. The Magnavox required removing the top cover and front panel before a Q-tip could be positioned carefully enough.

My experience with cleaning recorders that play discs but won't recognize blanks is far less successful: cleaning almost never restores the record function, because a dirty lens isn't the issue. When the unit can play but not record, it means either the laser is failing and can't muster the power to read blank discs, or the recorder is so old it can't handle today's super-fast, super-crappy blanks. You could try the two RW blank types (-RW and +RW): some units that can't cope with current 16x -R or +R will still work with the slower 4x RW media. If you can get it to work with RW, those discs can later be re-copied to more archival -R/+R in your PC.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pgd19 View Post
    Thank you, guys, this is terrific. I will take your advice DB83 and look into what you recommend. I really appreciate you taking the time to look over the manual and post a reply, very good of you. I clearly came to the right place here.
    see page 31 - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/688810/Daewoo-Df-4501pv.html?page=31#manual
    does the recorder not give you the option to format the disc ??
    Last edited by october262; 24th Aug 2021 at 14:01.
    Quote Quote