VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Photog Trans - TO VIDEO!! StudioGalvan's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    According to Filmmaker Andy at Sierra Descents, the Canon XA10 (which I own) actually records at 60p but puts it in a 60i Wrapper, so it looks like an interlaced file but it's actually progressive.
    See his article here:
    http://www.sierradescents.com/reviews/canon/xa10.html

I have the Canon XA10 and the very similar Sony NX30. I do need at least 60p as I'll be creating some Slow Mo videos of people walking and other moderate movement.
    After several hours of experimentation with both, I feel the Canon is slightly better in several categories including:
    ~ Slightly Bigger & More accurate screen
    ~ Better close focusing (unless engaging special mode in Sony software)
    ~ Ability to Custom White Balance

Looking at the files from both cameras using MediaInfo, I don't think I see any evidence for the Canon shooting 60p, EXCEPT that the Video Stream rates are nearly identical with the Canon being just 2.5 mb/s smaller (22.7 vs 25.2). If it was indeed filming at just 60i wouldn't the stream be half the rate, or ... ?

Who knows of another way to confirm Andy's assertion?
    I've attached test files from both cameras.

P.S. I can't buy another camera right now but do also have a DJI pocket. Unfortunately the battery life on it is just too short.

[Attachment 60362 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. 00016.MTS is interlaced content, not progressive - you examine the individual fields in motion .

That website did not mention "60p in 60i" . It only mentions "the XA10 shoots progressive footage but encloses it in a standard 60i AVCHD wrapper." which could easily mean 29.97p in 59.94i when shooting 29.97p mode
    Quote Quote  
  3. Photog Trans - TO VIDEO!! StudioGalvan's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Poison Death Ray! You just killed my Canon hope!

Thanks for the quick reply though. I can "Move On".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah sorry canon hdv cams also put "30p" in "60i" wrappers.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. I am a bit surprised to see that both cameras produced overexposed (clipped/crushed) whites loosing details. The Canon (e.g.frame 490 to 550) even more than the SONY (e.g. frames 1450 to 1600).
    Quote Quote