VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently imported hours of video from my Dad's MiniDV camcorder to .avi files using Scenalyzer. Yesterday I tried to play them on my Samsung TV (off portable HD) but the files weren't recognized. This is the first time I've had a video file not recognized by the TV as I've played numerous video files/formats on it over the years without any issue(s). I'm an amateur when it comes to this stuff but I've deduced the issue is the code. The files are DVSD codec and I don't see it listed as a supported codec https://developer.samsung.com/smarttv/develop/specifications/media-specifications/2016...fications.html

I don't intend to burn the files to DVD or anything like that so my questions are, whats the best codec to use so that I can play the files on my TV and that would have the broadest compatibility without loosing quality. Second, whats the best software to make the change?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DV is rarely supported outside a computer. Try converting to interlaced h.264 and aac in MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    DV is rarely supported outside a computer. Try converting to interlaced h.264 and aac in MP4.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I don't see an aac option but I see a h.264 and h.265 + MP4.
    Would the h.265 circled in the screenshot be better?
    [Attachment 60338 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Edit: I see the aac is the audio codec.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Encode to h.264,most tvs won't play h.265.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Encode to h.264,most tvs won't play h.265.
    Thanks!
    I'm using VLC to convert to avi format with h.264 and aac for audio, I'm seeing two issues.
    1. Testing on 189MB file, after conversion, the file size goes to 8MB. Is this normal? Is there quality loss?
    2. I'm also not getting any audio after conversion.

[Attachment 60339 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 60340 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 60341 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 60342 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use vidcoder for encoding,easier to use and less errors.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. ffmpeg is a good choice.
    Quote Quote  
  9. VLC isn't a good choice for converting interlaced DV. It doesn't seem to be set up to handle interlaced DV prooperly.

Converting NTSC DV to interlaced h.264 with ffmpeg is a little tricky. Use a command line like:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i DV.AVI -vf scale=w=-1:h=-1:interl=1,setsar=sar=10/11,format=yuv420p -c:v libx264 -crf 18 -x264opts bff -c:a aac OUTPUT.MP4
    DV.AVI is the NTSC DV AVI file. OUTPUT.MP4 is the interlaced h.264+aac mp4 file that will be created.

A drag/drop batch file to do this:

Code:
    "c:\program files\ffmpeg64\bin\ffmpeg" -i %1 -vf scale=w=-1:h=-1:interl=1,setsar=sar=10/11,format=yuv420p -c:v libx264 -crf 18 -x264opts bff -c:a aac "%~dpn1.mp4"
    That will convert the file you drag onto the batch file to an mp4 file with the same base name (MyVideo.avi will convert to MyVideo.mp4". Change the path to ffmpeg if it's installed in a different location on your computer.

If you put that batch file in Windows' SendTo folder you can right click on any DV AVI file and select Send To -> DV2MP4.BAT (or whatever you name the batch file) to do the conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ffmpeg seems more advanced so I started using vidcoder. AVI is not an option for container so I'm using MP4...not sure how/whether it matters.
    Also, they have so many video encoding options, I'm not sure which one to choose where I won't loose quality. My videos, according to VLC are 720x480 resolution. Which encoding option would be good from the options on the left in the screenshot.
    [Attachment 60349 - Click to enlarge]

This is the video codec metadata for the files I imported from the MiniDV.
    [Attachment 60350 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The presets don't matter too much, it's just a starting point, it can all be overridden in the settings.
    The main problem with Vidcoder, it will convert the output file to progressive; it does a reasonable job
    of deinterlacing/decombing but you lose half the smoothness of motion that existed in the source.

May/may not be an issue depending on the nature of the footage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Remember that players often don't understand interlaced H.264, as deinterlaced/progressive is expercted. This happens with a lot of "smart" (dumb) TVs, player boxes, etc.

For archiving with interlace, stick to MPEG.
    For copying for viewing as H264, deinterlace with QTGMC.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Remember that players often don't understand interlaced H.264, as deinterlaced/progressive is expercted. This happens with a lot of "smart" (dumb) TVs, player boxes, etc.

For archiving with interlace, stick to MPEG.
    For copying for viewing as H264, deinterlace with QTGMC.
    I understand what you're saying. I was under the impression my 2017 LG 4k Ultra TV didn't play them;
    I only very recently found out that's false.
    There was a thread a few weeks ago where something similar came up, some interlaced source
    needed to be converted to something the TV would play. My suggestion was double rate deinterlace.
    jagabo pointed out that it was worth trying the interlaced AVC; I tried it myself and I was
    gobsmacked when my TV played it back just fine

So anyway, I don't want to dismiss it out of hand as I used to. If the device plays it, it's certainly worth
    considering over the progressive output from Vidcoder.

I never had any problem with double rate deinterlace, I don't think Vidcoder can do it, I always used
    a script and Virtualdub
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Shobuddy, did you manage to sort out your task? If not, I can help as I’ve got 20+ miniDV tapes that were captured and saved as interlaced .avi files a few years ago. Modern progressive scan TVs won’t play interlaced video files. I’ve kept my .avi files but have developed my own preset in Handbrake (free, uses Ffmpeg as its engine but has a much more user friendly interface and doesn’t need code) to convert to a modern progressive scan h.264 format. The preset was arrived at after extensive trials of different interlacing filters. If you still want it, I can post it here.
    Quote Quote