VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.
    i am a newbie to the forum so a quick hello to all members and please go genital on me.
    i was wondering if Anyone would happen to Know What DVD Player Is being Used In This Rare DVD Player that i own? also would there happen to be a multi-region hack for it.
    thanks so much in advance guys. any help would be so much appreciated.
    here is some photos of the Player.

[Attachment 60217 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 60218 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 60219 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 60220 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 60221 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 60222 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 60223 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 60224 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 60225 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lol. take it apart and see what drive is in it if you want. it's not like it's likely to be anything but the cheapest drive available at the time.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think (hope?) you meant genial or gentle, not genital.

Regardless, aedipuss is correct, a special consumer tie-in item like that is going to have the bottom of the barrel internals, as that is not the prime selling point of the piece. You can also tell by looking at the cheesy knock-off remote.

While it would be possible to gut it and replace with a decent player (possibly from a former mobile/portable disc player), it might not be possible without doing some damage to the ouside face (might not even be possible with the same model without special tools).

My suggestion is to leave it as it is (whether to keep or sell). And use a standard player for your disc-playing needs.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1 to both posts.

Any value (which is probably minimal as with most collectibles of this type) is in the case, not the internals. Anything to do will lower the value more than the <$50 you'd spend on a regular DVD player.

Edit: Looking it up, it's super craptastic because video is only composite out. Another indicator of super cheap internals.
    Last edited by lingyi; 7th Aug 2021 at 23:19.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I think (hope?) you meant genial or gentle, not genital.

Regardless, aedipuss is correct, a special consumer tie-in item like that is going to have the bottom of the barrel internals, as that is not the prime selling point of the piece. You can also tell by looking at the cheesy knock-off remote.

While it would be possible to gut it and replace with a decent player (possibly from a former mobile/portable disc player), it might not be possible without doing some damage to the ouside face (might not even be possible with the same model without special tools).

My suggestion is to leave it as it is (whether to keep or sell). And use a standard player for your disc-playing needs.

Scott
    Hi Scott. yes i meant gentle. i think i must of hit the wrong spelling correction in spell checker by mistake. lol
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    +1 to both posts.

Any value (which is probably minimal as with most collectibles of this type) is in the case, not the internals. Anything to do will lower the value more than the <$50 you'd spend on a regular DVD player.

Edit: Looking it up, it's super craptastic because video is only composite out. Another indicator of super cheap internals.
    the drive probably is a crap cheap drive. i can imagine because of the country wear it was made. i would love to through that drive out and put something in more reliable. but you can pay up to $100 for these players as there were only a limited number of them made.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324025167908?hash=item4b7167b024:g:Rq0AAOSwhaFg09iL
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Changing the drive doesn't change the fact that it's only composite out. It's not the drive that's the real issue, it's the video output.

Also, your link shows that it's ~$1000, not $100 and I've seen others asking $400-$500. It's your choice to ruin a collectors item just to get nearly the worse possible video output (RF out is worse) just for the novelty of using something that never was intended to be practically used.
    Quote Quote  
  8. thanks lingyi
    yes you are right. i think it is best just to be left as a collectors novelty item.
    and yes i meant to say $1000 i mist a 0
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I, personally, would not give this house room

Not so sure about the earlier comment of this not intended for practical use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnnS-HJ2qv4&t=309s
    Quote Quote