VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've recently discovered that homebrew app on my nintendo wii has one media playing feature, that can play both PAL and NTSC dvds from all regions. Now the real question is: does it worth it? Is wiis analogue output any good
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No.

Read this for the different options for Wii output: https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiHacks/comments/gzfzbn/the_complete_guide_to_wii_video_output/

Bottom line, use it for what it's intended for as even a $20 DVD Player with HDMI will give you better picture quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    No.

Read this for the different options for Wii output: https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiHacks/comments/gzfzbn/the_complete_guide_to_wii_video_output/

Bottom line, use it for what it's intended for as even a $20 DVD Player with HDMI will give you better picture quality.
    Is there any other way I can play NTSC dvds as a pal user?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A mod is the only way to play NTSC dvds on a PAL wii, and vice versa. The output is comparable to a standard dvd player. I never noticed any difference between a wii vs my admittedly cheap dvd player using component outputs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Multi-region DVD players are <$50 and many cheap non-name brand players are region-free and will play both NTSC and PAL DVDs out of the box because they're made to be sold in multiple markets worldwide. If they don't work out of the box, they can often be hacked to make them region-free. https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks. But be aware that many of the hacks are old and may not work on newer players with the same model number.

If you can hook up your computer or laptop to your TV and your DVD drive isn't region locked (usually not with current drives), you can use your software media player which is TV system agnostic.

Bottom line, much better quality options than the Wii.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you can hook up your computer or laptop to your TV and your DVD drive isn't region locked (usually not with current drives)
    I guess I was still living in the past in which computer drives are region locked. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Drives are classified as RPC-1 (region changeable) or RPC-2 (region locked). All current drives are RPC-2 and have been for more years than I can remember.

However Region Codes are controlled by software which is why official players such as PowerDVD exist to change the Region (limited to 5 times per drive and then you require another program to clear that setting) or programs such as DVDFab Passkey which effectively makes the drive Region Free.

However software players such as vlc ignore Region Codes and will play any dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Drives are classified as RPC-1 (region changeable) or RPC-2 (region locked). All current drives are RPC-2 and have been for more years than I can remember.

However Region Codes are controlled by software which is why official players such as PowerDVD exist to change the Region (limited to 5 times per drive and then you require another program to clear that setting) or programs such as DVDFab Passkey which effectively makes the drive Region Free.

However software players such as vlc ignore Region Codes and will play any dvd.
    Thank you, that was useful
    Quote Quote