VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum and have a question about a problem I have when capturing video from an Hi-8 camcorder with a cheap Top-Longer USB video capture device I found on Amazon. I tried with 2 camcorders I have, on 3 different computers, tried drivers provided on the installation CD and online, using the provided Arcsoft Showbiz software or Soft4Boost Video Capture.

You can see footage of the image breaking that I captured using this setup on this youtube video

What is strange is that a while ago I didn't have any problem with this setup as you can see on this youtube video

Moreover, when the footage is watched through the camcorder, everything works fine.

Do you have an idea of where this problem might come from? Is it possible that a windows update could have changed something in the setup? Could it be the capture device that's broken?

Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's a combination of multiple factors, lack of line TBC in the camcorder, lack of external TBC, crappy capture device, crappy Windows OS, Some find partial success with inserting a DVD recorder in the stream such as the Panasonic ES10 or 15.

Capturing video nowadays is harder than it use to be despite the powerfull CPU's we have now, It's because OS's like Windows 10 are not designed for such tasks, The crappy capture devices sold now are not designed for VCR's, they are made for streaming from webcams using OBS. Not much can be done about it unless you are willing to go down the rabbit hole and start buying more devices and test what works best.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Martouf View Post
    Hello everybody,

Do you have an idea of where this problem might come from?

Is it possible that a windows update could have changed something in the setup? Could it be the capture device that's broken?
    It definitely could be a windows update, especially if your using Windows 10.

If you have an older complete backup of your PC from the time when you first installed the video capture device, you might be able to restore it and continue to use it as it was before.

Just make sure to perform a complete backup of your PC before restoring the older backup so that you don't loose any files.

And make sure to disconnect from the Internet, or disable your Windows Update service until you have finished capturing the video.

VTop online shopify store where you can download device drivers for the USB grabber

They appear to be well aware that Windows and Mac regularly disable or decline to continue supporting many types of video capture hardware, their temporary solution is to release a new model of their capture devices per year.. along with new device drivers.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks everybody for your answers!

So apparently updating the hardware every now and then is the route to go to stay on the cheap side, I've received a new interface in the meantime and the capturing works correctly.

Again, thanks a lot, you've been very helpful!
    Quote Quote  
  5. It definitely could be a windows update, especially if your using Windows 10.

If you have an older complete backup of your PC from the time when you first installed the video capture device, you might be able to restore it and continue to use it as it was before.

Just make sure to perform a complete backup of your PC before restoring the older backup so that you don't loose any files.

And make sure to disconnect from the Internet, or disable your Windows Update service until you have finished capturing the video.

VTop online shopify store where you can download device drivers for the USB grabber

They appear to be well aware that Windows and Mac regularly disable or decline to continue supporting many types of video capture hardware, their temporary solution is to release a new model of their capture devices per year.. along with new device drivers.
    Its not windows fault the first tape and second are not the same the darker one is dropping frames use used es10/es15( much cheaper if dvd drive broken) it will sort the problem
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its not windows fault the first tape and second are not the same the darker one is dropping frames use used es10/es15( much cheaper if dvd drive broken) it will sort the problem
    I agree. There's far too much sledging of Windows 10. Dodgy stick.
    Quote Quote