VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @lordsmurf
    Sure you are right, there are much better solutions. So yes this is not the best way to go but time and budget may play a roll why TS want to use it anyway.

So even a easycap will produce better quality then this card? Interesting, i have a Chinese clone with a chip-set that should be supported in Linux, maybe i give it a go sometime.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Your washed-out captures look terrible. I don't know why you're wasting your time on this card, and butchering quality in the process. Even a craptastic Easycap card doesn't monkey with quality as badly as this specific Hauppauge card.
    They look terrible because they are only intended to illustrate the issue I am having. As I said, the contrast/brightness/noise reduction controls were at random values when I recorded those clips - I just didn't bother to adjust them before recording those samples.

Please don't keep telling me that this is a bad capture card. It is good enough for what I want to capture, and although many people had issues with it in the past, it does povide semi-professional MPEG-2 encoding. Other than that, since it does not mute the audio track when the picture is noisy (as others do), it DOES meet my needs. The only issue I am having are the aforementioned artifacts. Yes, of course I will switch to other models if I don't manage to solve this problem or to find a 100% working unit, but there's a popular saying in my country which says "better known bad than good to know." Evey different model I may try will probably have its own problems, limitations or incompatibilities. And it may also mute the audio track whenever it decides to...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    one thing about old cards, is many pre-dated the modern "broadcast flags" or "do not record" signals embedded in later chips and designs.. sometimes early cards didn't even pay attention to the hardware support built into the chips to support flags and signals invented later because their firmware and recording software was not mature enough to know how to use the hardware to do that.. later updates would "back fill" those features.

the PVR-150 was "I think" one that ignored macrovision, and of course a CGMS-A/D was light years away, so if you played an HDTV signal back through an HD to SD converter.. it would merrily ignore the VBI flag saying "copy once, copy once".. "warning will robison Danger!!.. must encrypt"

if I'm not mistaken the PVR-150 had two revisions, and PVR-150 rev2 was "twinned" or doubled the same circuit in the PVR-500 so you could watch one channel while recording another or record two channels at once. (again I think, the rev1 was Blackbird or Bt748 based, and rev2 was Connexant based) but its an exercise in agony to really use them today.. today Avermedia still sells the USB2.0 Polaris dongles that blow them out of the water. the GV-USB2 is also pretty good.. but the driver install is all in japanese.. those are probably the best "medium" YUV capture dongles.. none of the EasyCap60 STK or EasierCap MacroSilicon 2106 dongles are really reliable.. so much for UVC.. eh?

this has [nothing] to do with your problems.. or any quality issues.. but it explains some peoples fondness.. or preference for older, simpler gear
    Last edited by jwillis84; 11th Aug 2021 at 19:05.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, I had (and still have, though I rarely use it) a PVR-250. It ignores Macrovision and recorded any NTSC source. That is one reason I keep it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jwillis84
    today Avermedia still sells the USB2.0 Polaris dongles that blow them out of the water. the GV-USB2 is also pretty good.. but the driver install is all in japanese.. those are probably the best "medium" YUV capture dongles.
    GV-USB2 English install instructions here.
    Quote Quote