VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Zelf made VCDs, qaulity dropouts in fixed rhythm (macroblocks), even if the image does not moving/or change.
    I seems as a "earthquake" when watching.
    What is this?, why this occurs? and how can this been fixed?

I have a retial VCD, is is good. But transfer file again to VCD format then the "earthquake" is here,

Here is video: https://www.mediafire.com/file/r5yuw0r2kvew6ky/AVSEQ01.DAT.mpg/file

normal qaulity, 2 frames later.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's keyframe pumping. Not enough bits were allowed for the keyframes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. And how can i solve/prevent that?

It's keyframe a I frame?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, I-frames are keyframes. Set your MPEG1 encoder to allocate more bitrate to the I frames. Or maybe it's time to move on. Modern video codecs are much more efficient in quality/bitrate terms.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Every VCD/MPEG1 decoder i know do not have function at all for this. Excepts TMPGEnc, but not for one frame (for what i know)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The question is how you obtained the video from the original VCD. A simple copy of the .dat file then converted, or renamed, to .mpg will create these issues - actually the video past the titles is quite good.

Back in the day there were tools, such as Nero, that could do a proper transfer of the .dat to .mpg. Not so these days.

And I do not think that a simple copy of the files from the original disk to another will work either.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Huh?? Renaming .DAT to .MPG do not change anything about the video.

Try nero express 9, picture qaulity is very fuzzy. It degredes the VCD qaulity. Also added black bars however i'm not sure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh. Believe me it does.

But you do not have to believe me and I withdraw from the topic.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1

While it's true that renaming a .dat to .mpg doesn't change anything about the file itself, it may cause the media player to treat it like an .mpg and cause playback issues. Though what you're seeing is probably because of what jabago stated and not the container.

.dat is a container that contains additional info in the header. Remuxing to an .mpg removes the extra info. The same is true for .vob from DVDs and .ts from Blu-Rays. Point is, always properly remux these types of files to remove the additional header info.

Use VCDgear to remux your .dat to .mpg
    Quote Quote  
  10. I agree VCDGear is the tool to go for VCD .dat -> .mpg remuxing.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote