VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Zelf made VCDs, qaulity dropouts in fixed rhythm (macroblocks), even if the image does not moving/or change.
    I seems as a "earthquake" when watching.
    What is this?, why this occurs? and how can this been fixed?

I have a retial VCD, is is good. But transfer file again to VCD format then the "earthquake" is here,

Here is video: https://www.mediafire.com/file/r5yuw0r2kvew6ky/AVSEQ01.DAT.mpg/file

normal qaulity, 2 frames later.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's keyframe pumping. Not enough bits were allowed for the keyframes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. And how can i solve/prevent that?

It's keyframe a I frame?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, I-frames are keyframes. Set your MPEG1 encoder to allocate more bitrate to the I frames. Or maybe it's time to move on. Modern video codecs are much more efficient in quality/bitrate terms.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Every VCD/MPEG1 decoder i know do not have function at all for this. Excepts TMPGEnc, but not for one frame (for what i know)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The question is how you obtained the video from the original VCD. A simple copy of the .dat file then converted, or renamed, to .mpg will create these issues - actually the video past the titles is quite good.

Back in the day there were tools, such as Nero, that could do a proper transfer of the .dat to .mpg. Not so these days.

And I do not think that a simple copy of the files from the original disk to another will work either.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Huh?? Renaming .DAT to .MPG do not change anything about the video.

Try nero express 9, picture qaulity is very fuzzy. It degredes the VCD qaulity. Also added black bars however i'm not sure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh. Believe me it does.

But you do not have to believe me and I withdraw from the topic.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1

While it's true that renaming a .dat to .mpg doesn't change anything about the file itself, it may cause the media player to treat it like an .mpg and cause playback issues. Though what you're seeing is probably because of what jabago stated and not the container.

.dat is a container that contains additional info in the header. Remuxing to an .mpg removes the extra info. The same is true for .vob from DVDs and .ts from Blu-Rays. Point is, always properly remux these types of files to remove the additional header info.

Use VCDgear to remux your .dat to .mpg
    Quote Quote  
  10. I agree VCDGear is the tool to go for VCD .dat -> .mpg remuxing.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  11. There is some datail lost in the grass when moving, also collor of it change somehow.
    Is this keyframe puping? or what is it?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	collor.bmp
Views:	61
Size:	5.93 MB
ID:	61123  

Click image for larger version

Name:	collor2.bmp
Views:	52
Size:	5.93 MB
ID:	61124  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes, it's keyframe pumping too. Though, much milder than the first sample.
    Quote Quote  
  13. And is it possible to create a VCD with 0 of that keyframe pumping?

If i know also factory VCDs have some of that flicker, i think it is impossible to create one without that pumping? (bitrate is to low for that?)

Thesource i put in in TMPGEnc is a VBR MPEG1 Bit rate 3 199 kb/s Max. bit rate : 9 000 kb/s of resolution 512x288 that must be enough i think?
    That more of double than VCD (1150) with slighty more resolution, 512 (widescreen) instead of 352
    Last edited by anonymoustly; 4th Oct 2021 at 11:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by anonymoustly View Post
    Thesource i put in in TMPGEnc is a VBR MPEG1 Bit rate 3 199 kb/s Max. bit rate : 9 000 kb/s of resolution 512x288 that must be enough i think?
    That more of double than VCD (1150) with slighty more resolution, 512 (widescreen) instead of 352
    Bitrate-wise that should be more than enough to prevent pumping, but where do you expect this video to play? 512x288 is not a resolution used virtually anywhere and it's certainly not VCD compliant.

I mean, you can make slightly off-standard VCDs that will play fine on the majority of DVD-players – I did that too back in the day – but you are stretching it way too far there. So where do you expect to play this?
    Quote Quote  
  15. The source is 512x288, TMPGenc make it to 352x288 file full VCD complaint.

My DVD player stretch it VCD image, and the original is widescreen. So it is correct displaying on the screen. (anamorf)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well then, go ahead and see if your DVD-player can handle those bitrates on a CD.

You can only fit about 26 minutes of video like that on a CD though.

To be honest, I don't see why you don't prefer a DVD instead. So much better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    VCDs were never originally intended to support Widescreen. But they can be made to. I have done this in the past (2006-7?) and have discs/clips to show it (IIRC, used TMPGEnc 2.4.x?). However, support for PROPER, AUTOMATIC widescreen playback and display of VCDs is basically non-existent (rare luck of the draw), so while you could just encode/author using anamorphic widescreen material, it is an uphill battle. You would very likely have to manually stretch/zoom the image on playback every time.

The only other options are:
    1. Go with a better format that supports widescreen properly (aka DVD, Bluray...)
    2. Crop from WS to 4:3, losing sides
    3. Squeeze WS to 4:3, changing the aspect ratio so everything is tall & thin
    4. Letterbox the WS to 4:3, but this makes everything even smaller on the screen.

Of all of those 5 (including the WS VCD option), converting to DVD,etc probably makes the most sense.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. I have do option 3, i never heard of a VCD WS option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Option #0 (my "WS VCD") and Option #3 both squeeze 16:9-->4:3, but option #0 is encoded/flagged as 16:9 whereas option #3 is encoded/flagged as standard VCD 4:3 (actually, IIRC, MPEG1 primarily uses Sample/Pixel AR signalling, not Display AR signalling).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    AFAIK the problem is that many players don't even care about the aspect ratio flag while playing VCD/MPEG1.
    They just assume 4:3 or do whatever the user requests manually. (And that's OK, considering anamorphic 16:9 is out of spec for VCD.)

If it works for you it's more like a lucky coincidence.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Totally offtopic: Just for the fun of it I looked at what happens if one encodes the '20200628 0725 - Npo 3 - Masha En De Beer-004-1-1-2-h264.mpg' file to FullHD.
    (wanted to know how the upscaling of BasicVSR++ is with such source,...)

Cu Selur
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'd say it looks pretty good, Selur! Although I don't have a clue what BasicVSR++ is yet.

Compare that to a VCD compliant MPEG1 encode.
    Quote Quote  
  23. BasicVSR++: Improving Video Super-Resolution with Enhanced Propagation and Alignment
    paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/2104.13371 , pdf: https://arxiv.org/pdf/2104.13371.pdf
    can be used through
    https://github.com/open-mmlab/mmediting and https://github.com/HolyWu/vs-basicvsrpp/
    I used it through Vapoursynth, I mainly use it atm. out of curiosity still not really sure when it should be used with what settings.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  24. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Another excellent demonstration of AviSynth / VapourSynth capabilities. Thanks, Selur!
    Quote Quote