VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all

I have a corrupt mov-file. This video file means a lot to me,
    Could anyone help me to fix the video file. I have tried fixing the file with all methods I found online, using QuickTime, vlc and Even tried to pay for the Wondershare repair it app. Would really appreciate if anyone Could help me!

I have uploaded the file on Google drive, link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/19hISPPOz9iPlewIujdjJn-3x6k8FL-Qp/view?usp=sharing

Best Regards, Andreas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The link does not work. I will not ask for access.

Upload the file as an attachment direct to this topic.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for your help, but the file is 1,09 Gb, and the maximum allowable file that could be uploaded directly is 500 Mb.

best regards, Andreas
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have not made the video public, it says you need to request access
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nakken89 View Post
    Thank you for your help, but the file is 1,09 Gb, and the maximum allowable file that could be uploaded directly is 500 Mb.

Fair enough. But as I, and my friend above, stated there is no direct download available from your link.

You need to change the access setting for the video in your Google Drive. They can be a PITA at times.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Andreas, in Drive, click the file, then right-click, then in the link drop-down menu, just tick "anyone with the link":

[Attachment 60110 - Click to enlarge]

Then we'll be able to download it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ahh, now the file is made public. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is this from a phone?
    you can try untrunc, you have to feed it a known-good file taken on the same device as a reference

https://www.videohelp.com/software/MP4-Repair-untrunc-GUI
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for fixing the access.

I see two issues with the file - I am no expert and what follows is merely based on comparing your file with similar ones that do work.

1. The video Header is incomplete. That may (or not) be easy to fix. We would require some basic info on the file. The frame height/width. The frame speed. These would be a good place to start. By all means add others.

2. The data is incomplete. At the end of the file there are several hundred bytes of zero data which indicates that the file was not properly written to either on the original storage, this copy or both. That may also explain 1. But if 1. can be resolved you may, at least, have most of the video
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course, there may be an even easier solution.

If what I read from my Google Drive is correct, and I am only making a broad assumption here based on your sig., you do not appear to be the original creator of the video. That being so you may not be able to answer 1.

If I am correct, I suggest you contact the original creator. Confirm that the video was fully playable and request a new copy.

If I am wrong, no offence was intended. I am just trying to assist.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Post a other working short mov file with the same specs here
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi, thx for the help. I have filmed the movie on an underwater camera, and uploaded from the camera and straight to my PC. So the clip is straight from the source. See attached a small film clip taken the same day, which works
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Linux version of Untrunc was unsuccessful. Perhaps some of the Windows tool
    Will do better, but I wouldn't get my hopes up
    Quote Quote  
  14. Here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6gzvdhlhue3l5g/REC00002.MOV?dl=0

I used a commercial product wondershare recoverit. I generally avoid wondershare products like the plague -- but I bought it a couple of years ago because it partially worked on some long lost .mp4s.

So, enjoy.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good news the Windows version has improved the process and recovered the file (15 minutes 50 seconds)

Download it from here, open the GUI, put the good (reference) video in the left box, damaged in the right, hit "repair"

https://github.com/anthwlock/untrunc/releases/download/latest/untrunc_x64.zip

Ooops, smrpix beat me to it (I was trying the avoid the upload, my upload speed too slow)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	utr.png
Views:	39
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	60118  

Quote Quote  
  16. @davexnet -- untrunc may very well be the opensource program wondershare ripped off
    Quote Quote  
  17. The Windows version of Untrunc 64bit was successful.
    Download this:
    https://github.com/anthwlock/untrunc/releases/download/latest/untrunc_x64.zip
    unzip and start untrunc-gui.exe
    Fill the fields like this Image
    [Attachment 60119 - Click to enlarge]
    and click on Repair. Done.

ooops. To late...
    Last edited by ProWo; 31st Jul 2021 at 02:08.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice one guys.

The OP sure owes you a glass or 6

Noticed that the recovered file is a different format to the working one and there is no audio. But I guess these will not matter.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Same format and audio for the untrunc recovered file
    Quote Quote  
  20. That worked perfectly, thank you very much for the help, and the good guidance! This means a lot to me and my friend, you are heroes in our eyes! Best regards, Andreas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Same format and audio for the untrunc recovered file

There are minor difference between the initial bytes of the header of the reference vid and those of the two recovered ones. And, yes, the later recovery does have audio.

Maybe someone with a fast upload speed might assist. But I guess the OP can do this for himself now. And more than useful should it happen again.
    Quote Quote