VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need to perform voice recognition and then make subtitles. Voice is in English and is of course inside container. Could you recommend me tools for this purpose?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Premiere Pro now has excellent voice to text built in. There are also commercial services like Simon Says and Rev that can do an AI transcription inexpensively.

Not sure what you mean by "inside container."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Premiere Pro now has excellent voice to text built in.
    Which version has it?

Not sure what you mean by "inside container."
    Voice in movie, in Mp4 or Matroska

Is there something free?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The latest version of Premiere Pro (15.4.0) is the first to feature it as a regular release. It has been bubbling in the beta version for many months.

As for free, YouTube used to do it, but I believe they have ended that functionality, or at least made it difficult to find.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't have much to do, the tool Descript.com may be of use. It's pretty straightforward for transcription, and I've used it to transcribe a couple of short (3-5 - minute) YouTube videos that I had downloaded.

You have to download and install an app, which I've used on Win 7x64 and 10x64 with no problem. Of course you also have to create and sign into an account.

For free
    $0
    / month
    For free you can do screen recording and limited editing; record/edit/mix one project; 20 screen recordings (720p max), 3hrs of transcription (one-time).

(I am not affiliated in any way with the company or product. I just happened to find it while doing a web search and tried it.)
    Lenovo ThinkStation P520, Xeon W2135; Win10Pro x64, 64Gb RAM; RadeonPro WX7100W; NEC PA301W, NEC PA272W, and Eizo MX270W.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The latest version of Premiere Pro (15.4.0) is the first to feature it as a regular release
    I took a look on this feature on YT and it looking to be the greatest thing in subtitling I ever saw
    But this program is no more working on 7, and I don't have 10

Originally Posted by jgg View Post
    If you don't have much to do, the tool Descript.com may be of use. It's pretty straightforward for transcription,
    This app working quite well, I just did 2 subtitles and only free 37 minutes left Maybe another account will solve the problem
    Time codes are precise, transcription is unbelivable accurate, but there are some mistakes (eg. voice "Knysna" - town in RPA RSA - is recognized as "NiceNet").
    It doesn't support more than 2 channels in audio. Anyway it shorten subtitling time from a few weeks to a few hours

If there are other programs I could test
    Last edited by JosephTocco; 27th Jul 2021 at 13:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JosephTocco View Post
    If you don't have much to do, the tool Descript.com may be of use. It's pretty straightforward for transcription,
    This app working quite well, I just did 2 subtitles and only free 37 minutes left Maybe another account will solve the problem
    Time codes are precise, transcription is unbelivable accurate, but there are some mistakes (eg. voice "Knysna" - town in RPA - is recognized as "NiceNet").
    It doesn't support more than 2 channels in audio. Anyway it shorten subtitling time from a few weeks to a few hours

If there are other programs I could test
    I'm glad you found it helpful.

To close, please excuse me, but I find your comment "eg. voice 'Knysna' - town in RPA - is recognized as "NiceNet" a bit unfair. I think it's unrealistic to expect that the name of a relatively small, unknown town like Knysna would be recognized by a "generally oriented" platform like Descript. And just for the record, the code "RPA" is Polish, not English.

You might already know this, but the platform protonmail.com is quite useful for creating "another account".
    Lenovo ThinkStation P520, Xeon W2135; Win10Pro x64, 64Gb RAM; RadeonPro WX7100W; NEC PA301W, NEC PA272W, and Eizo MX270W.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm glad you found it helpful.

To close, please excuse me, but I find your comment "eg. voice 'Knysna' - town in RPA - is recognized as "NiceNet" a bit unfair. I think it's unrealistic to expect that the name of a relatively small, unknown town like Knysna would be recognized by a "generally oriented" platform like Descript. And just for the record, the code "RPA" is Polish, not English.
    Yeah, sorry for bad abbreviation, fixed now.

Knysna is pronunced as ˈnaɪznə, its not difficult in my opinion (I'm not native English speaker), but you are right! Many or probably most names will be not recognized correctly. I know this town only because of Elephants. In movie it have been explained: "It was named after quite quaint word, meaning hard to get to"
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Phonetically, those 2 are pretty close together, so no surprise that is autocorrected that way. IIRC, the app IS biased toward English.

Scott
    Quote Quote