VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anonymous333
    I have been upscaling for about two weeks

I would like to use AviSynth+, AVSPMod and ffmpeg to restore and upscale some old TV SD shows (BW Telerecordings)
    So far my script is as follows:

SetFilterMTMode ("QTGMC", 2)
    FFmpegSource2("test.mkv", atrack=1)
    ConvertToYV12()
    AssumeTFF()
    QTGMC(preset="Slow", EdiThreads=1)
    Spline64Resize(1440,1080)
    Prefetch(1)

ffmpeg -i "test.avs" -c:v prores -profile:v 3 -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -c:a pcm_s16le "output.mov" as the batch

Many of these old shows were shot on 405 line video and the transfer to 16mm has added unnatural grain that when the image is in motion looks awful.

Please could you tell me the best plugin/filter to add to AVISynth+ and the script that would remove some temporal and spatial grain but not kill detail? At which point in the a script would I insert the line(s)?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Anonymous333; 20th Jul 2021 at 06:19.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Post an unprocessed video sample of the source
    Quote Quote  
  3. SMDegrain, TemporalDegrain, TemporalDegrain2, MCTemporalDenoise, hqdn3d, fft3dfilter...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Anonymous333
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    SMDegrain, TemporalDegrain, TemporalDegrain2, MCTemporalDenoise, hqdn3d, fft3dfilter...
    Last edited by Anonymous333; 20th Jul 2021 at 16:38.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by MarkHevingham View Post
    Thank you - any idea of the settings on these - I am very new to the process?
    That's why a sample was requested and why so many were listed. Or you can do your own experimenting.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Anonymous333
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by MarkHevingham View Post
    Thank you - any idea of the settings on these - I am very new to the process?
    That's why a sample was requested and why so many were listed. Or you can do your own experimenting.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try TemporalDegrain2, you'll find some tips in the script.
    http://www.avisynth.nl/index.php/TemporalDegrain2
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Can you send original video-clip
    Quote Quote  
  9. Whenever i deal with BW i use grayscale() filter, this filter out chroma noise the simplest way possible (I don't need u chroma >>> out my way). I know what some purist will say...
    When dealing with BW it's always interesting to work on the whole luma range (get good shadows,blacks, whites with a filter like gcurves (virtualdub) or similar. Food 4 thought
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote