VideoHelp Forum


Try StreamFab All-in-One and rip streaming video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 30 of 30
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    I find that many videos are edited at the right resolution, but once uploaded the picture quality becomes blurry with compression.

    How can I ensure that the video uploads will not be compressed?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can't. YouTube, for example, reencodes everything. You can download the video you uploaded to compare the file sizes and confirm that beautiful video you uploaded has been ruined by reencoding.

    About all you can do is use judicious filtering to make sure it'll come through the reencoding process with as little damage as possible.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You need to host your own site , and use your own content delivery network, then you can stream whatever you want at the quality you want because you're paying for bandwidth

    Free hosts such as youtube, vimeo all reencode with low bitrates. But the paid memberships on vimeo get better settings, higher bitrate, higher quality - it's "less bad"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    The other tricks with YT have been mentioned here numerous times: upscale your title and keep it in a less lossy format for upload, so it will start from a place of higher quality and will have option for higher quality download versions (usually kicks in at 1080 or greater). Yes, this is a gamble of a cheat and it DOES take much more space & upload time, but it might pay off well enough to your liking. YMMV, and no guarantees.


    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    YT is full of amazing-quality videos. Make them at least HD resolution (a height of 720 pixels or more will activate "HD" YT playback) and as high a bitrate as you can stand. The YT limit is 256gb. Go for it!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    PAL
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kuroko View Post
    I find that many videos are edited at the right resolution, but once uploaded the picture quality becomes blurry with compression.

    How can I ensure that the video uploads will not be compressed?
    Rescale the video to a higher resolution, because higher resolutions use more bitrate
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Boston
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure why, but YouTube videos won't embed into posts anymore in this forum.

    Anyhow I have a YouTube channel where I want my videos to look and sound as best as possible. Everything gets compressed, but VP9 is a way better codec. You have to upload your videos in 1440P instead and then Youtube will stream your videos in higher bit rate.

    It will also sound vastly improved. Make sure you view in Chrome or Firefox.

    AVC1/MP4: https://youtu.be/sFUDqCohxLQ

    VP9/OPUS: https://youtu.be/Wad7K4iYDT4

    Someone noted. "This is very impressive! I recorded the audio and checked if this is not pure imagination. And indeed, the Mp4 version has a high cut at 15 khz, less stereo width and more artifacts than the opus version. With a phase inversion test, you can clearly hear the difference."

    There is an even better codec called AV1 that is set to replace VP9. It is currently in trial stages and limited to big channels. VP9 has a huge problem where it can blow out color contrast and make videos darker. AVC1 and the new AV1 does not have that problem.
    Last edited by BenKlesc; 15th Jul 2021 at 15:22.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The OPUS video seems to be a static shot with no movement. Is that what you intended? No sound. Using Firefox.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Anyhow I have a YouTube channel where I want my videos to look and sound as best as possible. Everything gets compressed, but VP9 is a way better codec. You have to upload your videos in 1440P instead and then Youtube will stream your videos in higher bit rate.
    Do you have any videos that we can see using VP9, although I'm not sure promoting it is a good idea if it "has a huge problem where it can blow out color contrast and make videos darker.".

    For me, the video aspect is the most important; that's why YT exists.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Boston
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Do you have any videos that we can see using VP9, although I'm not sure promoting it is a good idea if it "has a huge problem where it can blow out color contrast and make videos darker."
    It depends on what browser you are using. Your videos will look different in every browser because Apple doesn't allow VP9 codec on Safari. Yet again some channels bounce back and fourth between uploads with lower codec and higher codec. It's a total mess.

    Yes that is a static shot, but overall VP9 and OPUS is a significantly clearer and better sounding streaming format. Depending on which file format you work with when uploading it can become problematic, but that is what all of the big channels are using. I usually have to make color corrections on my videos in Final Cut Pro for them to show up as accurate. This usually involves lowering color saturation contrast by 40% or more and making white balance corrections.

    However YouTube when they removed flash for everyone now throttles small channels who use the worse codec, so uploading in 1440P is the only way you can get results on par with the big channels. I.E. no pixelation during movement, no weird audio distortion.

    Here is some motion and action shots as an example of different resolutions.

    https://youtu.be/jbv1fREMRu0

    Here is also an example of the side effect from Apple not allowing Google's codec in competition. Every YouTuber now has to make color corrections on their videos for it to look semi-decent. YouTube is the worst website for high quality videos these days.

    https://youtu.be/f8TalCyMw9Q

    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    The OPUS video seems to be a static shot with no movement. Is that what you intended? No sound. Using Firefox.
    Odd. Working on my end logged out of that link on Firefox. Should hear music as an unlisted video.
    Last edited by BenKlesc; 15th Jul 2021 at 21:03.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Piqued by the above, I uploaded some VHS (scaled up to 1440P50 but only at only 6kbps) and sure enough, after around 5 hours, the HD version is in VP9 format. Noice.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    You can't. YouTube, for example, reencodes everything. You can download the video you uploaded to compare the file sizes and confirm that beautiful video you uploaded has been ruined by reencoding.

    About all you can do is use judicious filtering to make sure it'll come through the reencoding process with as little damage as possible.
    Specifically, what should I do better?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You need to host your own site , and use your own content delivery network, then you can stream whatever you want at the quality you want because you're paying for bandwidth

    Free hosts such as youtube, vimeo all reencode with low bitrates. But the paid memberships on vimeo get better settings, higher bitrate, higher quality - it's "less bad"
    So do you mean using Vimeo? If I'm recording on my phone do I need to compile it on Vimeo before uploading?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pm-s View Post
    Rescale the video to a higher resolution, because higher resolutions use more bitrate
    Exactly how should I scale the video?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BenKlesc View Post
    Not sure why, but YouTube videos won't embed into posts anymore in this forum.

    Anyhow I have a YouTube channel where I want my videos to look and sound as best as possible. Everything gets compressed, but VP9 is a way better codec. You have to upload your videos in 1440P instead and then Youtube will stream your videos in higher bit rate.

    It will also sound vastly improved. Make sure you view in Chrome or Firefox.

    AVC1/MP4: https://youtu.be/sFUDqCohxLQ

    VP9/OPUS: https://youtu.be/Wad7K4iYDT4

    Someone noted. "This is very impressive! I recorded the audio and checked if this is not pure imagination. And indeed, the Mp4 version has a high cut at 15 khz, less stereo width and more artifacts than the opus version. With a phase inversion test, you can clearly hear the difference."

    There is an even better codec called AV1 that is set to replace VP9. It is currently in trial stages and limited to big channels. VP9 has a huge problem where it can blow out color contrast and make videos darker. AVC1 and the new AV1 does not have that problem.
    I have a video uploaded to YT that looks slightly blurry, I am using my phone for recording, maybe my phone is not clear enough. I don't need to have sound in my videos, just enough to keep the picture clear. I think maybe the AV1 would be better for me? Can you help me look at it?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inMMf5RX6Xs
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    The OPUS video seems to be a static shot with no movement. Is that what you intended? No sound. Using Firefox.
    Yes, my video I think is fine without sound. Just need to be able to keep the picture clear. Please see the 15th floor link for the video.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BenKlesc View Post
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Do you have any videos that we can see using VP9, although I'm not sure promoting it is a good idea if it "has a huge problem where it can blow out color contrast and make videos darker."
    It depends on what browser you are using. Your videos will look different in every browser because Apple doesn't allow VP9 codec on Safari. Yet again some channels bounce back and fourth between uploads with lower codec and higher codec. It's a total mess.
    Thanks for your reply, I'm using Google Chrome, maybe you have any good suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Boston
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kuroko View Post
    Thanks for your reply, I'm using Google Chrome, maybe you have any good suggestions?
    You video looks good and it's in VP9 format. That means it's working. You would notice noticeable artifacts if it wasn't.

    I'm not sure how your 1080P upload was automatically in VP9. Perhaps you got lucky.
    Quote Quote  
  19. This is a link to my YT channel trailer. All the original footage is 1920x1080. It has been upscaled to UHD and the aspect ratio changed to 3840x1670. YT is playing the UHD and HD versions using VP9.
    https://youtu.be/xgk_WhH82Gg
    Canon G40 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.2.2 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - 2 Screens
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by ChapmanDolly;2625819YT
    YT is playing the UHD and HD versions using VP9.
    https://youtu.be/xgk_WhH82Gg
    It's playing all versions in VP9/Opus.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BenKlesc View Post
    Originally Posted by kuroko View Post
    Thanks for your reply, I'm using Google Chrome, maybe you have any good suggestions?
    You video looks good and it's in VP9 format. That means it's working. You would notice noticeable artifacts if it wasn't.

    I'm not sure how your 1080P upload was automatically in VP9. Perhaps you got lucky.
    Really? Does this mean I don't have to change the video format on purpose?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ChapmanDolly View Post
    This is a link to my YT channel trailer. All the original footage is 1920x1080. It has been upscaled to UHD and the aspect ratio changed to 3840x1670. YT is playing the UHD and HD versions using VP9.
    https://youtu.be/xgk_WhH82Gg
    Your video looks really smooth and HD, that's really cool! Would you mind telling me what you did when you uploaded the video?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Follow their guidelines or upload to your own server.
    best guide https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 4kblurayguru View Post
    Follow their guidelines or upload to your own server.
    best guide https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en
    Yes I will, thank you very much!
    Quote Quote  
  25. The video was edited and graded in a 1080 50p timeline in DaVinci Resolve. The timeline resolution was then changed to UHD with a custom aspect ratio of 3840x1670. Rendered in UHD Quicktime h264 at Best Quality, with linear PCM audio. Resulting .mov was then uploaded to YT
    Canon G40 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.2.2 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - 2 Screens
    Quote Quote  
  26. Wonderful video about trains. You did a great job!
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ChapmanDolly View Post
    The video was edited and graded in a 1080 50p timeline in DaVinci Resolve. The timeline resolution was then changed to UHD with a custom aspect ratio of 3840x1670. Rendered in UHD Quicktime h264 at Best Quality, with linear PCM audio. Resulting .mov was then uploaded to YT
    Thanks a lot, I will download it and try to make videos with it.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    PAL
    Search Comp PM
    Does uploading direct VP9 benefit the quality?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Boston
    Search Comp PM
    To answer above no. You can upload in any format and it will stream in VP9. As long as the resolution of the file is at least 1440P.

    After your video is done encoding, YouTube will stream all resolutions of your video in VP9 including standard definition, but the original uploaded file must be beyond 1080P unless you have over 500,000 subscribers as a big channel. It can sometimes take an entire day for your video to finish encoding.

    YouTube did this to save space on their servers hoping most won't notice. Most still don't realize you can do this.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Thank you TreeTops.
    Canon G40 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.2.2 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - 2 Screens
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads