VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I'll admit I haven't tinkered with this encoder in quite a while, but I DO remember Windows Media and other media players being able to decode my videos back in the day when I was testing. Not only that, but my TV's media player won't recognize it either.

Can someone more knowledgeable and experienced with this encoder take a look at my specs and see where I went wrong here?

Thanks
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hcenc settings.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	59848  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    640x480 is no DVD Video compatible resolution.

Furthermore, HCEnc will create pure m2v video. You may want to multiplex it into a container (ProgramStream or TransportStream variants), together with your audio stream, which will be recognized better by your player.

To watch it on your PC, you may want to install LAV Filters or use a player which does not depend on system wide installed decoders but uses an own collection to be independent (VLC, MPC-HC, MPC-BE ...).
    Quote Quote  
  3. I corrected the issue by removing the resize command line from my script. I re-encoded and still face the same issue.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    So what exactly is your issue? Players don't detect pure, containerless M2V?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most older tvs +2 years won't read hcenc videos,just MPEG-4 AVC videos.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, but why won't Windows Media Player play a simple Mpeg2 video? That's my issue. And my question. AVSPmod won't read it either.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try dropping the m2v into mkvtoolnix. Perhaps the MKV will work
    Quote Quote  
  8. That doesn't sound right. If HEnc makes legit Mpeg2 files, why would I have to now take an additional step after encoding to make it compatible with other media that should really play such an old format to begin with?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As was explained earlier, some players have problems with the m2v elementary stream
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    .m2v is not the same as .mpg either create .mpg or go with .mp4 video, even most older players will attempt to play that.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Post a mediainfo text read out to make sure your settings are right,the name of the encoder is a bit misleading though cause it sounds like it's hd,why are you encoding to mpeg2 anyways?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Windows doesn't know that m2v files (mpeg 2 elementary streams) contain MPEG 2 video. WMP also can't deal with it. It needs to be muxed into an MPG (mpeg 2 program stream) container.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Ah - and thus I can do this with mediainfo?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    If HEnc makes legit Mpeg2 files, why would I have to now take an additional step after encoding to make it compatible with other media that should really play such an old format to begin with?
    HC-Enc does make compliant M2V files. Your problem is you're trying to play it with a useless player - Windows Media Player. It doesn't come with the needed codec. Use a real player, such as the ones LigH.de suggested. MPC-HC (the one I use) has no problem with M2V video files.

I think installing ffdshow will also fix your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  15. No worries about WMP. But my ultimate goal is to play it on my Roku TV, and it's just not registering.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm encoding to Mpeg2 because it's an Mpeg2 video in the first place . When I try to re-encode to x264, my color levels are out of whack (bright, washed-out looking video)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use ffmpeg from the command line to create the mpg program stream:
    Code:
    ffmpeg  -fflags +genpts -i input_file.m2v -c:v copy  -f vob  output_file.mpg
    Or the mkv suggested earlier also works, just wraps the m2v in the mkv container, no re-encoding
    Quote Quote  
  18. Long ago I used to use the old free version of TMPGEnc to mux m2v (and AC3) into MPG (File -> MPEG Tools...). These days I use ffmpeg (though I rarely have the need).

Though it's not a good practice, just renaming the .m2v file with an .mpg extension might be enough for your TV to play it.

Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    I'm encoding to Mpeg2 because it's an Mpeg2 video in the first place . When I try to re-encode to x264, my color levels are out of whack (bright, washed-out looking video)
    Then you're doing it wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  19. You can also make a real MPG out of it using ImagoMPEG-Muxer. I'm not entirely sure whether or not you need an audio track.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Then you're doing it wrong.
    So after doing some tinkering, I realized something: This "washed out" look only appears in my JVC Roku TV. This TV does not handle SD color gradients well, and so color gradients tend to "crawl'' and look really distorted on this set. Again, this is for SD videos only, and I have seen the pattern on this TV with most SD vids.

However, on my Sharp Roku TV, this "washed out'' look isn't an issue. This TV handles SD gradients well, though.

Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    I realized something: This "washed out" look only appears in my JVC Roku TV. This TV does not handle SD color gradients well, and so color gradients tend to "crawl'' and look really distorted on this set. Again, this is for SD videos only, and I have seen the pattern on this TV with most SD vids.
    Try upscaling to HD.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Wait, WHAT? I thought it was pointless to do this with SD material (720X480). I could have sworn I read in these threads for years that this did not improve on the material whatsoever. and that upscaling, in fact, resulted in errors. Please explain - I'm intrigued.
    Quote Quote  
  23. You said one of your devices doesn't handle SD gradients well but works fine for HD. So I suggested upscaling to HD to avoid that problem.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Is there a proper script to do it wothout dostorting it?
    Quote Quote