VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Before I start, I'm sure this has been asked, but I didn't know where to look, so please direct me there if necessary.

Anyway, is there any way to downconvert a UHD disc with HDR video to 1080p Blu-ray and still retain the HDR coloring, or at least the bright appearance of it? I understand that standard BDs use 8-bit colors and UHD 10-bit, but is it possible for it to appear the same even though the processing is different?

I use handbrake, which keeps it in tow on my computer, but when I put it on disc, the colors are washed out.

Obviously, I could get an HDR player and TV/projector, but I'm not in the market for that now, and probably not any time soon.
    The only reason I have the few UHD discs I do are because of availability. Warners only released the IMAX cut of Batman v Superman on UHD, so my conversion is dimmer, and I was hoping to downconvert Gremlins because the standard BD is not much of an improvement over the DVD (however, the coloring on the BD is much more vibrant than my conversion, so do I gravitate more towards quality or coloring?).

(I even tried passing it through an editing program (Movie Studio Platinum 16), which I was using anyway to create a true IMAX shift for BvS, but I guess that still washes out the HDR.)

Anyway, point me in the right direction if this has already been discussed, and please go easy on me with the technical stuff! I may be an idiot, but I'm a loveable idiot!

Thanks in advance,

Jason
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try RipBot264. There is an option for tonemaping HDR to SDR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    StaxRip can also tonemap HDR to SDR, but you need to do some setup on your own. (It has some learning curve.)
    Here's a guide.

ShanaEncoder provides one click HDR to SDR Tonemapping in its Quick Settings, and you'll find it easy to use if you're familiar with FFmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks, guys! I'll try these...appreciate it!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by SgameX1708 View Post
    Try RipBot264. There is an option for tonemaping HDR to SDR.

The good news is: the tonemapping seems to be successful (it was actually really easy to find and apply)...based on the partial preview I'm getting. The bad news is that it's only rendering part of the file. The file indicates that it's the correct length, but will only play a few minutes. In the program itself, it also says "stream write error", which probably has something to do with it, but I looked that up and it said that it usually means there's not enough storage space to save a project, bit I have plenty. Any advice?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Disregard. Figured it out.
    Quote Quote