VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Okay, I’ll try to keep it as short as possible.
    In the near future I’m going to host a cinema screening of a film I’ve always regretted now having seen in cinema around 20 years ago for some friends and me.
    Two things, most of the cinemas today deal with DCPs and not 35mm anymore, as sources I’ve only the three BluRays that were released between 2015 and 2019 in different regions and a source that originates from the original DVD release and so far, as I can tell, should have the most reliable “reference” colors.

I don’t want to mess too much with the image but considering the film has some scenes and characters with the ultimate contrasts between white and black surfaces and any flaws in the picture will be very appearant as bright projection in a cinema.

Can anyone give me some recommendation?

For example:
    1. How can I check the arrangement of the audio channels (could be different in the cinema / with some free software)?
    2. Do cinemas need a DCI 2K Flat source or do they have software that can upscale it when the aspect ratio is the same?
    3. Do I need to check the white point, would it make any sense to twist it more into the direction of a P3-DCI color space? (basicly not trying to expand it the color space but at least rotating it so far into the color space that the projected colors don’t seem to far off)

I really want this to be an experience for anyone to remember in the best way possible!
    Any help would be very much appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1. Some mobos have realtek audio manager from where you can check arrangement of audio channels.
    You can also do it using "Sound Properties" (WIN+R -> mmsys.cpl)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hmmm yeah I was more thinking of the audio file from the movie.
    I myself only have a stereo setup at home so not sure how that will help if the file is 5.1, but okay I didn't mention that.

Addendum
    audio source is DTS-HD 5.1
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Oripot View Post
    Hmmm yeah I was more thinking of the audio file from the movie.
    I myself only have a stereo setup at home so not sure how that will help if the file is 5.1, but okay I didn't mention that.

Addendum
    audio source is DTS-HD 5.1
    If you are using VLC you should go with stereo option

Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown.png
Views:	33
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	59756
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    No, no that's not at all what I'm asking.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No, no that's not at all what I'm asking.
    What are you asking for then that I haven't answered already
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I’ll try to keep it as short as possible.
    In the near future I’m going to host a cinema screening of a film I’ve always regretted now having seen in cinema around 20 years ago for some friends and me.
    Two things, most of the cinemas today deal with DCPs and not 35mm anymore, as sources I’ve only the three BluRays that were released between 2015 and 2019 in different regions and a source that originates from the original DVD release and so far, as I can tell, should have the most reliable “reference” colors.

I don’t want to mess too much with the image but considering the film has some scenes and characters with the ultimate contrasts between white and black surfaces and any flaws in the picture will be very appearant as bright projection in a cinema.

Can anyone give me some recommendation?

For example:
    1. How can I check the arrangement of the audio channels (could be different in the cinema / with some free software)?
    2. Do cinemas need a DCI 2K Flat source or do they have software that can upscale it when the aspect ratio is the same?
    3. Do I need to check the white point, would it make any sense to twist it more into the direction of a P3-DCI color space? (basicly not trying to expand it the color space but at least rotating it so far into the color space that the projected colors don’t seem to far off)

I really want this to be an experience for anyone to remember in the best way possible!
    Any help would be very much appreciated!
    you're asking at the wrong place. you need to contact the projectionist at the theater as to what sources at what specs he can put up on his screen. AND get it all arranged far in advance.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote