VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying a green screen with fluffy puppets. I tried this in Filmora:

[Attachment 59738 - Click to enlarge]

I applied an RGB key effect with the eyedropper on the background. The result is:

[Attachment 59739 - Click to enlarge]

I played with the tolerance and edge softness and this is the best result. This is the maximum tolerance before making the yellow of the puppet's body transparent. Same for softness on the puppet's eyes. I matched colors by RGB, as hue produces worse results.

I remember watching a video tutorial, probably Adobe Premiere Elements, where I could replace the background color with blue, so the transition would be smoother from the yellow antennae to the blue sky. I do not see that in the Filmora control panel, so I don't think it exists here, but it may exist in other software.

I believe I could also improve results a little bit by ironing and stretching the green screen.

Which software gives the best results or the most control in chroma key with a fluffy puppet? What are the best practices for this specific use case?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    https://youtu.be/cdMhHtRJmgc

this may help ( Premiere Pro )

Note: it replaces those "smears" with (in your case) yellow colour, making sock puppet's ears(?) a bit thicker
    Last edited by pm-s; 7th Jul 2021 at 08:52.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, that seems to help. Is that what Adobe Premiere Elements does behind the scenes? I could not find Lumetri or Hue vs. Hue on Filmora, do you know the equivalent?

More broadly, I imagine that the color of each pixel in an image can be decomposed as the convex combination between the eyedropped color (e.g. lime green) and a color X with a load T (between 0 and 100%) such that color vector arithmetic gives:

Original color = T * X + (1 - T) * green

And the image could be re-generated with another color to remove the green spill:

new color = T * X + (1 - T) * black

along with a mask of with the values of T, which serves as a transparency for the background image.

This would have the advantage of fixing green spill on all colors, such as pink and yellow above, and not just the skin tone.

Although time-consuming, is this possible, and does any software implement it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by miguelmorin View Post
    Yes, that seems to help. Is that what Adobe Premiere Elements does behind the scenes? I could not find Lumetri or Hue vs. Hue on Filmora, do you know the equivalent?

More broadly, I imagine that the color of each pixel in an image can be decomposed as the convex combination between the eyedropped color (e.g. lime green) and a color X with a load T (between 0 and 100%) such that color vector arithmetic gives:

Original color = T * X + (1 - T) * green

And the image could be re-generated with another color to remove the green spill:

new color = T * X + (1 - T) * black

along with a mask of with the values of T, which serves as a transparency for the background image.

This would have the advantage of fixing green spill on all colors, such as pink and yellow above, and not just the skin tone.

Although time-consuming, is this possible, and does any software implement it?
    I don't know, I have only ever used VegasPro, "classic" Premiere pro and resolve.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks pm-s, those are the next ones in my list of video software to try.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You should go with resolve first, as its non-studio version is free
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, indeed. I wanted to try this with Resolve already, but my computer doesn't run it and I'm having some difficulties running it on the cloud for now. I'll find a way to test it and report on the results.
    Quote Quote