VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I realize this probably isn't the proper spot for something like this, but not really sure where else I would put it.

I purchased a brand new car last week and woke up this morning to find out it had been egged. I don't have beef with anyone in the neighborhood, but I still think it was targeted since it was multiple eggs and only my house was hit. I checked my security cameras and saw the eggs hitting the car at 1:58:28 AM. I also saw a few brief flashes that look like someone is walking in the street. Based on the trajectory of the eggs and the flashes, I'm thinking it's the neighbor across from me, but I'm not sure. The video is so dark that I can barely see anything.

I've tried various ways to improve the lighting using online tools, but it hasn't resulted in much. Was hoping someone could either point me in the right direction or brighten up the video on my behalf.

I uploaded the video here of the camera angle that *should* show the perpetrator as well as the camera angle of the eggs hitting my car.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is little to no detail and even if it could be brightened then the process would blow out that detail.

We see these sort of topics quite often and the answer is always the same.

Now for a 'logical' answer or three.

Any near neighbour would surely know you have multiple security cameras around your property. Unless they also knew how ineffective these could be they would hardly attempt such a 'prank'.

Of course you might have 'upset' someone not so local. Maybe even a boast in getting the new wheels. But, again, this is more likely to be a one-off 'giggle'
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is another one of those "my security cameras is worthless" threads. Too many cameras are garbage, and are placebo to make you feel safer than you really are.

Buy better (and more) cameras for next time. Hoping there won't be a next time.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. To add to what has been said, cameras at night, by virtue of the low light, can't record enough detail to be useful.

Unless you plan on saturating the neighborhood with artificial light, then you will never be able to use a camera to ID an egg thrower.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Perhaps the person was a bad shot & was actually aiming for the dangly Christmas lights being switched on in July...?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    To add to what has been said, cameras at night, by virtue of the low light, can't record enough detail to be useful.
    Unless you plan on saturating the neighborhood with artificial light, then you will never be able to use a camera to ID an egg thrower.
    No, you can get some impressive ISO performance, at 4K resolution.
    But it'll cost you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFXFIHpD_ZM

Those were about $8K each when new 4 years ago.

You won't find that on Amazon for $99. Most "security cameras" are completely worthless. Not worth the electrity to run them. "Hey look, a fuzzy person broke into my fuzzy car!"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't matter how good your camera is when you place it to record leafs and Christmas lights instead of eggman
    Quote Quote  
  8. I kind of figured as much, but was hoping there might be some solution I wasn't aware of. My entire property is covered in cameras and the lights/leaves have never posed an issue before. Even typically at night, I can still get an idea of what was going on. It was just unusually pitch black this day. Lesson learned I suppose. I'll just have to buy a couple more cameras to get better views of the street and put up some street lamps.

Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Perhaps the person was a bad shot & was actually aiming for the dangly Christmas lights being switched on in July...?
    We have the rest of our decorations down, but I like keeping my icicle lights up. Reminds me of Christmas, makes my kids happy, and when we invite friends over, makes it easy for them to find our house. No one has ever complained about it and both my immediate next doors neighbors have been pretty positive about it.

I would hope you aren't excusing the behavior. If any of my neighbors came up and asked me to take it down, I would do it the very same day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    To add to what has been said, cameras at night, by virtue of the low light, can't record enough detail to be useful.
    No, you can get some impressive ISO performance, at 4K resolution.
    But it'll cost you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFXFIHpD_ZM

Those were about $8K each when new 4 years ago.

You won't find that on Amazon for $99. Most "security cameras" are completely worthless. Not worth the electrity to run them. "Hey look, a fuzzy person broke into my fuzzy car!"
    At this price I would be more concerned about somebody egging my security cameras…

I’d rather pay for a security guard at this point.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ccbradley View Post
    At this price I would be more concerned about somebody egging my security cameras…
    I'd be more concerned about somebody stealing the cameras.

Or some conspiracy nutjob thinking I was a covert "black site" for the CIA, where the aliens are kept. Breaking into the house at 4am, with an arsenal larger than his IQ.

... but the only point was those exist. These days, you can get great optics, high resolutions (8K, even), with an ISO that goes well into 6 digits woth great dynamic range. I can do that with my still photo cameras from the mid 2010s. Video didn't take long to catch up to that. Most "security cameras" sold to consumers are play toys, with the quality of an 80s Polaroid camera.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Dashcams (front and rear) are very inexpensive these days as well and are a great way to surveil your car no matter where it’s parked..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dashcams (front and rear) are very inexpensive these days as well and are a great way to surveil your car no matter where it’s parked..
    But same problems, lousy optics, if cheap. "Cheap" is anything under $1k.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes of course. Nobody disagrees with that. Was just a thought…better than not having a dash cam at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    …better than not having a dash cam at all.
    I guess so.

"Hey, a dark out-of-focus grainy something hit my car!"
    Quote Quote