VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have seen websites where the GIF files they use can be saved to a local file system and then played back without a problem using Google Chrome. But if you attempt to play the GIF using any stand alone software tool - other than a browser - the playback fails. Under MediaInfo the GIF shows as a WEBP container. What would cause this strange behavior. How do I convert the original GIF so that it will play back under Windows using standalone image viewers?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    WebP is not GIF, so your problematic GIF is actually a misnamed WebP file.

Apparently IrfanView 4.58 supports animated WebP's

More info at: https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/faq

Not sure if this works, nor whether it doesn't suck https://convertio.co/webp-gif/
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 5th Jul 2021 at 17:02. Reason: update
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    WebP is not GIF, so your problematic GIF is actually a misnamed WebP file.
    So I ran IrfanView against the file, and sure enough it says it is a WEBP and wants to rename it. I did rename it but IrfanView is showing me a black screen. Just to make sure, I then open the file up in Google Chrome - after renaming to WEBP - and Google Chrome still plays it fine. So the information is there, but for whatever reason I cannot find any stand alone player that sees the animation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure if its the GIF or your PC but all Gif's play in Potplayer and MPC-BE on my PC just to test a couple. I'd try to download a couple other GIF and try them. If they still fail, it'ds probably on your PC side.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    Not sure if its the GIF or your PC but all Gif's play in Potplayer and MPC-BE on my PC just to test a couple. I'd try to download a couple other GIF and try them. If they still fail, it'ds probably on your PC side.
    So based on the other conversations here so far, the relevant question is do these players work with WEBP files for video sequences?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I haven't found any players that play animated webp. Even ffmpeg doesn't appear to handle them. The convertio web site mentioned in post #2 successfully converted one animated webp I tested. Other than that I've only seen them play in web browsers.
    Quote Quote