VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey there! Newbie question.

I use MediaInfo to compare two mkv files; I noticed one is Matroska Version 2, the other version 4. The version 4 is of a much larger file size compared to the version 2 mkv.

Are there particular differences between the two version? Is it like a standard the mkv file must have, or like certain attributes in order to be of a certain version? Is it some thing like H.264 versus H.265? Is one "better" than the other?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    H.265 is newer, takes longer to encode, potentially smaller file sizes
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt that the MKV version would change the file size; it depends on the actual bitrate. "MKV" can contain different codecs; the MKV part is only the container.

Looking at the two files in Mediainfo, compare the "Overall bit rate" in the General section. I suspect that the MKV v4 file has a higher bitrate than the MKV v2 file (if they are the same duration).

Interestingly, the MKV wiki says the latest version is 1.6.3 so I don't know what Mediainfo means by version 2 and version 4.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I looked at my backups and some say version 2 and others say version 4 but they are all H.264 so its not a codecs issue.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    according to this - http://matroska.sourceforge.net/technical/specs/index.html, V4 is a work in progress
    and there may be further additions to V4.
    Quote Quote