VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello referencing this post: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/381344-Mp4-file-won-t-open-and-has-no-media-info#post2467352

In order to manage OBS crashes we use the fragment option for MP4:
    Code:
    movflags=frag_keyframe min_frag_duration=4000000
    Up until now I've been editing these files successfully in Premiere CC 2018. It takes a little longer processing the file but it works like normal once it's done.

I've tried upgrading to 2021 now and find that no matter where you start in the timeline the audio from the first fragment will always play. The only way I've gotten around this in 2021 is running the file through Adobe Media Encoder first.

Any one have thoughts on why it would work properly in the 2018 version, but not 2021.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Your issue isnt in the post-editing, it lies in using OBS to record a stream in the mp4 format. You need to be recording webstreams in the ts format.

Any sort of 'crash' using mp4 is often doomed to a total loss. With ts you will preserve everything up to the crash.

Then post-record process it to mp4 (if thats your preference). This can all be achieved with Avidemux (free) and ffmpeg (free).

(I use OBS daily in my occupation. It has its limitations but I cannot ever recall a crash. A stream failure yes, but not a crash as in the Windowz sense.)
    Last edited by codehound; 27th Jun 2021 at 13:25.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the insight. I'm familiar with the concept of recording to something other than MP4 for crash purposes. The fragmented mp4 fixes that, it saves to disk at a set interval in this case 4 seconds.

The only reason I started doing this is I had some occasions perhaps caused by a bug, where I would press stop recording, and it would just say "Stopping recording" indefinitely and never complete a file.

I only have the editing issue with the newest version of Premiere. So I'd really rather avoid remuxing files, as this is a volunteer position which I'm trying to allow less experienced people to also participate in.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You will have to address editing / update issues with Premiere directly with Adobe my friend.....especially as you will be paying a fortune for solutions that anyone can get for free. Only right you make them earn their corn via their helpdesk. Yes ?

You are clutching at straws blaming an expensive professional editing suite for a basic schoolboy error of capping in mp4 compressed format. You are putting the cart before the horse.

And while you continue to capture raw streams in a compressed format you will always have post-cap editing issues. No matter what hardware or software is involved. Trust me, I do it for a living.
    Last edited by codehound; 27th Jun 2021 at 18:27.
    Quote Quote