VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Recently I transferred several VHS-tapes containing concert-footage to MPEG-2-files. Most of the VHS-recordings have a playing speed that differ a bit (too slow/too fast) from the digital remastered audio recordings that are available on CD.
    My plan is to correct the video playback speed to match the audio files that I ripped from CD, and then join both the video at the corrected playing speed & the ripped audio together.
    How can I arrange this with minimal / no loss of video quality ?
    I read about software packages, like Kernel Video Repair, dgpulldown, ProjectX, Avidemux and Womble MPEG Video Wizard. Would they do help me to complete this project ?

Greetings,

Jesse
    Quote Quote  
  2. Don't change the video, change the audio instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for your reply. I prefer to adjust the playing speed of the video to match the correct speed of the audio (if possible). Is there any software available to decrease or increase the video playing speed ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's much easier to adjust the audio than the video,use audacity to adjust the audio.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ProWo is right. It's much better to adjust the audio. It can be speeded up or slowed down keeping the same pitch.

However, if you insist, DGPulldown can adjust the playing speed of the video without reencoding.

I prefer to adjust the playing speed of the video to match the correct speed of the audio (if possible).
    If it's a live concert recording I'd say they're playing it at the correct speed already. The CD might be different but I don't see how you can call it more 'correct'. Besides, CD audio can't be used in DVDs as-is. You can't just replace what you have now with the CD audio.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How far out is the sync?
    Would you notice it over the space of one song?
    Do you plan on making a dvd from the repaired video?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    @Manono, let me explain... The video-material that I transferred from VHS is footage that's unavailable through official ways until now. I'm an Elvis Presley-fan, and through the years I collected several videotapes with concert footage. On several of those tapes the playing speed isn't correct. I guess it has to do with the fact that those tapes have been copied many times before I obtained my copy. I would like to adjust the video playing speed, and then take the audio from a CDrip and add that to my video. After correcting the video I would like to make a DVD from the repaired video.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does the CD match the video (except for the slight speed difference) including all the gaps between songs, etc
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, it does.

I just noticed that Pinnacle Studio also contains options like 'Controlling speed with Time Remapping'. Does anyone have experience using that program to stretch video's ? Would Pinnacle Studio be the right software to do the job for me ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pinnalcle Studio is not a software that gets much discussion in the forum, except in somewhat derisory tones
    when it is mentioned. Perhaps somebody familiar with it will chime in.

Have you tried Avidemux? It does have a transform Change FPS filter that can
    slow down / speed up the video.
    The video would have to be re-encoded (lossless if possible), then when you encode to DVD later the frame rate will have to be re-adjusted
    back to 25 PAL DVD standard, but this will use a method that would not change the runtime. eg. DGPulldown, dup frames, blending, etc,etc
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Thank your help, Davexnet. I surely will give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  12. As I mentioned, DGPulldown can do the job without reencoding. BUT, only if you want to slow it down, not speed it up.

On several of those tapes the playing speed isn't correct.
    And the audio is in synch with those? And doesn't 'warble' from a varying speed?
    I would like to adjust the video playing speed, and then take the audio from a CDrip and add that to my video.
    I see no reason to believe that whatever speed you make the video, with pulldown to have it play back at 25fps, the commercial releases of the songs will then line up with the adjusted video. That and, as I already mentioned, CD audio can't be used in a DVD as is. At the very least you'll have to adjust the sample rate. And, depending on how large the DVD video is, you might also have to convert it to AC3 audio. Both mean reencoding the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dgpulldown can slow the video? Never heard that before. Also the source is likely to be interlaced. This seems like an interesting project
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Dgpulldown can slow the video? Never heard that before. Also the source is likely to be interlaced. This seems like an interesting project
    Yes, it can add pulldown flags to progressive frames extending the duration of those frames. So those frames can be displayed for the duration of 3 fields rather than 2. But it won't work with interlaced video -- which is likely what the OP has.
    Quote Quote