VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It is not because the interlaced nature of the video. I suspected that some time ago as well, but a field analysis shows same pattern:

top field

Click image for larger version

Name:	spikes3_top_field.png
Views:	355
Size:	462.5 KB
ID:	59771

bottom field

Click image for larger version

Name:	spikes3_bottom_field.png
Views:	322
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	59772
    Quote Quote  
  2. This is what I get from your screenshot. The histogram looks more "normal".

[Attachment 59775 - Click to enlarge]

Is your video signal Composite or S-video? Can you upload a short clip of your video?

Edit:
    On the other hand I think it is possible to find a gain (contrast tweak) which will materialize as an integer rounding such that every other level step is affected which results in the "unusual" peaks pattern.

Edit2, for what it's worth:
    When we grayscale the image (forcing R=B=G or Cb=Cr=128) and inspect the RGB Histogram we see the gaps in the waveform and in the Histogram (RGB format at the bottom)

[Attachment 59778 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by Sharc; 9th Jul 2021 at 02:34.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Here 2 samples, from the same recording captured with JVC HR-S9500MS -> S-Video -> Hauppauge USB-Live2 at default proc-amp setting and HuffYUV.
    It's a raw unprocessed capture.

The second has a standard field distribution (i.e. not interlaced, coming from the same moment in time), the first is a little weird in its temporal data.

sample1

spike1.avi

sample 2

spike2.avi
    Quote Quote  
  4. Adding a tiny bit of grain 'smooths' the histogram

Code:
    addgrainC(1)
    [Attachment 59779 - Click to enlarge]

or you may increase the contrast by 1.007 to redistribute the levels
    Code:
    Tweak(cont=1.007, coring=false, dither=true)
    Last edited by Sharc; 9th Jul 2021 at 03:30.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    It is not because the interlaced nature of the video. I suspected that some time ago as well, but a field analysis shows same pattern:

top field

[Attachment 59771 - Click to enlarge]

bottom field

[Attachment 59772 - Click to enlarge]
    Maybe its the colour noise
    Quote Quote  
  6. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Adding a tiny bit of grain 'smooths' the histogram
    Yes, we experimented in the past that a light post-processing remove the pattern https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/401349-GV-USB2-Capture-Stick-What-s-In-It#post2615773

We were just trying to understand the source of it
    Quote Quote  
  7. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Edit2, for what it's worth:
    When we grayscale the image (forcing R=B=G or Cb=Cr=128) and inspect the RGB Histogram we see the gaps in the waveform and in the Histogram (RGB format at the bottom)
    Uhm.... I suspect then that the histogram for the single channel is of "gap type" as it should be according to skiller remarks, and then combining the full YUV (or RGB) may create the strange saw-tooth pattern. Thanks for the good hint!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Scaling and integer rounding (quantization error).
    Take the numbers 16 ...... 235 and multiply with say 1.2 or 0.8, then round to integer and see how certain values get dropped and others accumulate.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Take the numbers 16 ...... 235 and multiply with say 1.2 or 0.8, then round to integer and see how certain values get dropped and others accumulate.
    This would produce the gaps and the spikes, sure. But I still do not understand the spiky saw-tooth pattern on top of a distributed levels without gaps. My limit maybe.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Again, I think it's the colour noise
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    This would produce the gaps and the spikes, sure. But I still do not understand the spiky saw-tooth pattern on top of a distributed levels without gaps. My limit maybe.
    I don't think that there is anything superimposed on something. Just the regular spikes every other quant level which you can redistribute with changing the contrast or dither by adding noise.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably you're right. What worried me is when skiller said that in presence of a spiky histogram some data is lost, and that's why I wanted to fully understand my histograms. It could be a false alarm, I hope...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How could the color noise generate that pattern? Do you have a technical explaination?

I have seen it in several captures, with a large set of different VCRs and workflows from friends and from checking the videos posted in the forums. Only common element is the capture card or the chipset in the capture card (I do not remember if VC-500 had same behaviour)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    How could the color noise generate that pattern? Do you have a technical explaination?

I am really not sure. The only reason I thought it might be colour noise is because it's very noticeable in the footage, and because of the fact that processing removes it
    Quote Quote  
  15. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    because of the fact that processing removes it
    any light post-processing, even without denoise, remove the pattern
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    because of the fact that processing removes it
    any light post-processing, even without denoise, remove the pattern
    So changing the brightness, bobbing it, IVTCing it or re-compressing it removes the pattern?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There is no need to go that far, a simple

Code:
     ConvertToRGB(interlaced=false, matrix="PC.601").ConvertToYV16(interlaced=false)
    reduce it a lot,

and if you look to Sharc experiments and my experiments, other simple commands remove it completely!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    It happens when you decrease the contrast or gain. For example say you decrease the gain by a factor of 2/3.

Code:
    before	after (truncated)
    100	66
    101	67
    102	68
    103	68
    104	69
    105	70
    106	70
    107	71
    108	72
    109	72
    You can see that pixels with Y values of 102 and 103 have both mapped to 68 -- so there will now be a histogram peak at 68. The same happens at Y=105 and 106, both become 70. You get regularly spaced peaks from the integer rounding (or truncation)

Here's an AviSynth script that shows the gaps and peaks from integer rounding:

Code:
    function GreyRamp()
    {
       BlankClip(color=$000000, width=1, height=256, pixel_type="RGB32")
       StackHorizontal(last, last.RGBAdjust(rb=1, gb=1, bb=1))
       StackHorizontal(last, last.RGBAdjust(rb=2, gb=2, bb=2))
       StackHorizontal(last, last.RGBAdjust(rb=4, gb=4, bb=4))
       StackHorizontal(last, last.RGBAdjust(rb=8, gb=8, bb=8))
       StackHorizontal(last, last.RGBAdjust(rb=16, gb=16, bb=16))
       StackHorizontal(last, last.RGBAdjust(rb=32, gb=32, bb=32))
       StackHorizontal(last, last.RGBAdjust(rb=64, gb=64, bb=64))
       StackHorizontal(last, last.RGBAdjust(rb=128, gb=128, bb=128))
    }

function cont(clip c, int gain)
    {
       ColorYUV(c, cont_y=gain)
    }

GreyRamp()
    Trim(0,100)
    Crop(64,0,-64,-0).PointResize(512,512)
    ConvertToYV24(matrix="PC.601")
    Animate(0, 100, "cont", last,-100, last,100)

AddBorders(4,0,4,0) # so the histogram stays the same scale
    Histogram(mode="levels")
    ConvertToRGB(matrix="PC.601")
    From frames 50 to 0 you get peaks as the contrast is decreased, from 50 to 100 you get gaps as contrast is increased.
    Last edited by jagabo; 9th Jul 2021 at 07:28.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well done!

It's then probably the gain, meaning the AGC (automatic gain control) embedded in the capture card, the reason for the strange histogram, more than the levels (brightness/contrast) adjustements (that I did not touch in capture). Thanks!

Edit: but now, skiller's theory (gaps=no lost data, spikes=data loss, if I did understand correctly) is in danger!
    Last edited by lollo; 9th Jul 2021 at 07:42.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by lollo View Post

Edit: but now, skiller's theory (gaps=no lost data, spikes=data loss, if I did understand correctly) is in danger!
    It depends how one defines the "loss". If we have a lower number of different level steps (=coarser quantization, less bits) the quantization error (difference of precise value vs quantized integer truncated value) becomes larger and the (local) SNR drops accordingly. This inaccuracy and reduced number of levels can be seen as a loss (less details). Therefore it is not recommended to squeeze the histogram unnecessarily.
    In jagabo's "before" we have 10 different steps (100....109). In the "after" there are only 7 distinct levels (66....72). What we visually "loose" in this case is contrast.
    On the other hand the empty codewords (gaps) introduce banding, which is however not a "loss" but rather an unexploited potential.
    Last edited by Sharc; 9th Jul 2021 at 09:27.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure I fully understand what you mean: we still have 8 bits, the quantization error happens in both directions, as in jagabo's example. In one direction we produce spikes, on the other direction we create gaps. From the sampling point of view, the consequent SNR degradation should be the same.
    Quote Quote  
  22. The gaps from increasing contrast/gain can be removed if you know exactly how they were produced. (Obviously, if you increase the contrast too much you will crush darks and brights, so you will lose information that way.) The peaks from reducing contrast/gain cannot be fixed because there's no way of knowing the original value -- in my example in post #48 there's no way of knowing if the 68 was originally 102 or 103, or if the 70 was original 105 or 106.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hmmm yes, you are probably right. The SNR is not affected as long as we stay in 8 bit and don't alter the analog signal gain.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The peaks from reducing contrast/gain cannot be fixed because there's no way of knowing the original value -- in my example in post #48 there's no way of knowing if the 68 was originally 102 or 103, or if the 70 was original 105 or 106.
    OK.

The gaps from increasing contrast/gain can be removed if you know exactly how they were produced.
    OK, here we create a gap because we move for example a level 20 to a level 36 and a level 21 to a level 38 and level 37 in the middle is missing.

If the main player is the AGC I cannot go further, but if the main player is the brightness/contrast reduction that we all use to avoid crushing black/white levels, than this means that every time we introduce a spike and we won't be able to reproduce the exact data later. Interesting.

On the other hand, when we expand the levels (something that is just an experiment, I do not think that somebody is doing this at capture stage) theoretically we could recover the gap!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    ..... but if the main player is the brightness/contrast reduction that we all use to avoid crushing black/white levels, .....
    Not only this but also to obtain Y'CbCr values which will - when converted to RGB - produce legal RGB values. This can be more of a headache than just avoiding clipping or crushing in my experience.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Great explanations guys, @Sharc and @jagabo.

In the end, if the captures look visually pleasing, I wouldn't worry too much about any weirdness that the AGC might introduce. There's most likely no way of changing it on the hardware level.
    Last edited by Skiller; 9th Jul 2021 at 18:46. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Do these spikes really matter? Like it's the analogue footage you are working with, they really don't make a much of a difference
    Quote Quote  
  28. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do these spikes really matter? Like it's the analogue footage you are working with, they really don't make a much of a difference
    They really do not matter a lot. But to say that, we needed to understand what's happening, and thanks to skiller, Sharc and Jagabo we may have found an explanation. Thanks to everyboby for the constructive discussion, and my apologize to the OP for having used his post for my debug!
    Quote Quote