VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Image
    [Attachment 59491 - Click to enlarge]

hi i played one of my vhs tapes, its got these thick grey lines

whats the cause of this, why does it happen. and how can i get rid of it?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most likely a bad recording or the original broadcast was bad,bad heads would give static bars and mess the whole picture up
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    One bad head?
    We're heading in the right direction i believe
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Bad head will screw the whole filed not just fewer scan lines, The OP needs to post what player he is using and what capture workflow he is using to be able to determine what causes that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. That looks like the effect you can get with dirty/bad heads on a miniDV vcr/camcorder, was it originally copied from a bad minidv recording to a vhs tape maybe?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by oln View Post
    That looks like the effect you can get with dirty/bad heads on a miniDV vcr/camcorder, was it originally copied from a bad minidv recording to a vhs tape maybe?
    I agree. I thought I posted this after my initial post. I asked in that non-existent post whether DV was any part of the process. I have seen this many times with my DV tapes in my old Sony TRV-11 camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. With DV the video is stored as data. As with VHS/Beta, the head spins but instead of alternate analog lines being corrupted by a bad head, a block of data is corrupted instead.

Brian.
    Quote Quote