VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm having problems with certain blues/greens in my tapes (picture samples included). It's the worst when it comes to animation. What's causing this? I'm using a pretty good condition JVC S7600U VCR with a USB-Live2 Video Capture device (could this be my problem?). When I plugged the VCR directly into my HDTV, I noticed these issues, but they were less pronounced and cleaner looking.

Also, I captured in lossless AVI (Lagarith) using AmaRecTV 3.10 (YUY2, 720x480 @ 29.97 FPS). When I convert to H.264 MKV using HandBrake, I'm getting a 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. Why is this? Is there something wrong with the Lagarith codec or AmaRecTV itself, where it's giving me a bad lossless copy? Or is HandBrake specifically causing this problem? How can I get the end result to be 4:2:2, which is what VHS should be?

Can anyone help me with these issues?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6432634643.png
Views:	241
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	59489  

Click image for larger version

Name:	8568568856.png
Views:	257
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	59490  

Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Try wiggling the S-Video socket, Some cables and sockets go bad over time due to plug-unplug, If you see color flicker that mean it's time for a new cable and possibly reflow the socket soldier joints, For 4:2:0 yes it's Hanbrake setting.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Try wiggling the S-Video socket, Some cables and sockets go bad over time due to plug-unplug, If you see color flicker that mean it's time for a new cable and possibly reflow the socket soldier joints, For 4:2:0 yes it's Hanbrake setting.
    So with handbrake I can't do 4:2:2 at all? Will it matter since they're old VHS tapes? Would a huge difference be seen between 4:2:0 and 4:2:2?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yes but not obvious to the average viewer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Yes but not obvious to the average viewer.
    Thank you for that info. Do you think there's a program as easy as HandBrake that does 4:2:2 and de-interlacing well or no? I don't have time to master a complicated program right now and HandBrake has done a great job and is simple for me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I use script software I don't have any experience with handbrake, Maybe some members who use it can shed some light here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In both I see right-shifted ghosts possibly caused by multipath interference at the time of original recording. A ghost of the Horizontal Blanking Interval is visible.

But I thought normally these ghosts would be just as pronounced in luma.

The highlighted portions in image #2 are just VHS. The low chroma bandwidth causes these incorrect colors. In the original it was a hard boundary; quick transition. On VHS it's a soft boundary; slow, smeared transition.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Handbrake doesn't deal well with interlaced video. It will screw up the chroma when it converts to YUV 4:2:0. Pretty much all distribution formats are 4:2:0.

And why would you bother with the Simpsons? That's easily available on DVD. Not great quality but much better than your VHS.
    Last edited by jagabo; 22nd Jun 2021 at 20:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is apparently a VCR issue. Everybody read the first post it again.

The Simpsons was a test.

Discussing Handbrale (lousy) complicates the conversation.

That capture cards is blah, but unlikely to cause the this exact error.

The s-video ports are possibly a problem. But there's an easy test -- capture composite. If both do it, knowing what I know about the model, it'll be more internal. Not something seen often, but happens. For your sake, hopefully it's just the s-videp. Re-solder will be needed, assuming it's not simply the cables. Try other cables first, cheapest, easiest.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    This is apparently a VCR issue. Everybody read the first post it again.

The Simpsons was a test.

Discussing Handbrake (lousy) complicates the conversation.

That capture cards is blah, but unlikely to cause the this exact error.

The s-video ports are possibly a problem. But there's an easy test -- capture composite. If both do it, knowing what I know about the model, it'll be more internal. Not something seen often, but happens. For your sake, hopefully it's just the s-video. Re-solder will be needed, assuming it's not simply the cables. Try other cables first, cheapest, easiest.
    Thank you for the info, will try changing the cables and see if that does anything.
    Quote Quote  
  11. The first order chroma blur and shift and blur is pretty easy to fix:

[Attachment 59512 - Click to enlarge]

That was with MergeChroma(aWarpSharp2(depth=30)) and ChromaShiftSP(x=3, y=1) in AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The first order chroma blur and shift and blur is pretty easy to fix:

[Attachment 59512 - Click to enlarge]

That was with MergeChroma(aWarpSharp2(depth=30)) and ChromaShiftSP(x=3, y=1) in AviSynth.
    Is it possible to edit an MKV losslessly? Or no?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by billybatts View Post
    Is it possible to edit an MKV losslessly?
    Yes, if you use a lossless codec.
    Quote Quote