VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So I recently discovered that DVDFab does not add the "Forced" tag to the forced subtitle track when it creates a MKV file. I have also discovered that Plex is able to read this tag and automatically select the forced track for playback. The problem is that I have a large collection of MKV files that don't have any subtitle tracks marked as forced. I have figured out how to edit them one at a time with Mkvoolnix and JMkvpropedit, but I have so many files, that doing them one at a time would take forever. I realize that I could do them in a batch with Jmkvpropedit, but the problem with this is that it is not always track #2. However, it does seem to always be the last subtitle track in the list.

So, my goal is to find an AUTOMATED way of adding the "Forced" tag to the LAST subtitle track in every file in my collection. Is there a tool that can do this? Is there a way to do it with Jmkvpropedit (or mvpropedit)? If not, how would I go about creating a solution to do this?
    Mmmmmmmm Beeeeeeeeer
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can use mkvbatch to add a forced subtitle to every mkv.The version i use is MKVBatch 1.30 because the newer one didn't work for me.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I will look into it. Will it allow me to add a forced tag to the last one in the file, like I looking to do?
    Mmmmmmmm Beeeeeeeeer
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You need to use separate subs to mkvbatch to add the forced flags,not sure if they will be the last subs if you have a few in each mkv.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, I am not looking to add a new subtitle track, if that is what you are saying. I just need to add the forced tag to the last track that is already there.
    Mmmmmmmm Beeeeeeeeer
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You will have to re-add the subs if you want any changes to them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been able to tag them as forced in a batch with Jmkvpropedit, which uses mkvpropedit, without removing them and readding them. The problem is that you have to specify which track to change for the entire batch. I did a test and in a season of sons of anarchy that I just added, I was able to tag the first subtitle track of every episode. The problem is that some files have a second track that should be the forced track instead.
    Mmmmmmmm Beeeeeeeeer
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The program does the re-adding for you,it has to use mkvmerge in it's operation.
    Quote Quote