VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Not sure if I should post this here or in the Video Conversion forum but here goes! I have found a weird issue in using HandBrake to convert some MKV files to MP4. After the conversion, there seems to be an additional subtitle track. When I view the converted file in VLC, the additional track is there, but, only displays the name of the current chapter as a subtitle. This is in addition to the subtitle track that appeared on the source MKV so there are two. Anyone see this and know how to only have the actual subtitle track appear as a selection in VLC? Thx!
    [Attachment 59333 - Click to enlarge]

When chosen you see this -
    [Attachment 59334 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by tonyaldr; 7th Jun 2021 at 20:59.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like an issue with handbrake converting chapters into subtitles,use mkvmerge to remove the unneeded subs.Also you don't need to re-encode mkv to mp4,there is software that can change mkv to mp4 with out converting,

Others can tell you what software to do that.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thx, but the extra subtitle track is not on the source MKV files, but the MP4 so I don't think mkvmerge would work here. I convert them to get smaller file sizes. Just don't understand why that track is created.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did you read what i posted?Is there a chapter file on the mkv?Mkvmerge will work since it can keep what ever is needed and exclude and include anything else with out re-encoding.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. So you're basically saying to "prep" the MKV files by using MKVTools to delete the chapters first? Ok. I'll try it and run the conversion overnight. I'll post when it's done. thx.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Bingo! And I don't mean the chimp in Abbott & Costello! You hit the nail on the head! Thx, again!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'll try it and run the conversion overnight.
    It should be very quick, unless there are hundreds of files to process.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VLC displays Text Chapters as a subtitle stream. MPC-BE, Potplayer, WMP and even FFPLAY do not. They show only the original subtitle tracks and show chapters as selectable.
    If you remove chapters, those subtitles will disappear from VLC . If you want subtitles AND Chapters, VLC will display Chapters as Chapters AND as a subtitle stream.

Just a unique feature of VLC I noticed in the past.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thx! I discovered that after I tested the solution offered. I've been clearing the chapter tab and in this way avoiding using the MKVTools altogether. Thumbs up!
    Quote Quote