VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings. I am currently trying to rip episodes from ISO images of a TV series' DVD box set. I aim to copy the video stream from the disc into per-episode VOB files which I will then repackage. The difficulty I'm having is that video passthru on ffmpeg doesn't cooperate with trimming. It will not trim to and from to the exact frames I specify, instead starting earlier in the video by some seemingly arbitrary amount. The audio, however, does comply, and will cut in at the correct time. In the past, I've had this issue with the video happen at the end of the clip instead, depending on my settings. I understand that it has to do with the program only cutting at I-frames when set to passthru since there would be necessary data missing otherwise. Nothing I've tried in the past has solved this, until today. I dropped an ISO file into XMedia Recode to see if I could use its UI to make my life easier. The program is actually capable of reading the DVDs chapters from the image and allows you to set them as trim points. I did so, setting all streams to copy, and found that it perfectly cut to the exact frames on which the chapters were set. The process was very quick, and I could distinguish no difference between the episode played from the ISO versus playback of the new file, so I do not think that there was a re-encode. However, I then discovered that it could only read about thirty minutes into any of the DVDs before it would abruptly stop in the middle of second 1 GB VOB file. This also happens if I try to re-encode, but it doesn't happen if I just mount the disc virtually feed the raw VOB into the program. If I do that, though, then the problem of trimming video on copy rears its head again. Does anybody know how to get Recode to read the whole disc? Or, more realistically, does anybody know how to get ffmpeg to properly trim a video stream without re-encoding?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried MakeMKV? It's lossless, keeps the original mpeg-2 quality
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello Dave,
    No, I haven't. I failed to state this in the original post, but I would prefer to avoid having to download any additional software to get this done. That said, I will try it out because I'm pretty fed up with all of the aimless fiddling I've had to do to get as far as I have. I'd still appreciate any knowledge anyone can share on getting this to work with XMedia Recode or straight ffmpeg, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Take VOB files out of the equation. See if your software can give you unedited "episodes" from the discs....then edit these files.
    As I'm sure you already figured out, VOB files are based on file size and are useless outside outside of their DVD environment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't want to use MakeMKV or additional software, so why not try below. It will put those episodic multiple Vobs into just one mpeg2 file with ease and preserve the file without loss.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/pgc.NET
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVDVOB2MPG to rip individual sets of VOBs into single MPEGs.

You select each VOB set ie from each episode and it will join them losslessly into an MPEG2.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes! I finally managed to get it working! I generated MKV copies of the video using MakeMKV, then put the files into XMedia Recode and trimmed from the chapter points. It worked like a charm. Would definitely recommend this software combination to anyone coming across this page with the same issue. Thank you for your help, everyone.
    Quote Quote