VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I may go away for a few weeks, leaving all of the windows closed, and want to know what precautions, if any, I have to take for my equipment because of the summer heat in the closed room. I have two Magnavox DVRs which are plugged in so that I don't lose the settings.
    Scenario 1: I don't do any recording at all so the units aren't "turned on".
    Scenario 2: I do about three hours of recording each week.

Do I need to leave a/c on in that room (an expense)? Do I need to at least have two fans blowing on the equipment all day? Or is this not really a concern? And of course should I absolutely NOT do Scenario 2?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    shouldn't have any issues as long as the room is cool.
    unless there's a power failure while your away.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I said, the room is HOT not cool because of the summer heat. With the windows closed there isn't any ventilation. Again my question is do I need to leave a/c on the whole time?; Do I need fans blowing on them the whole time? Is there a difference if I don't record anything and not have the DVRs turned on?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is there adequate ventilation around the DVRs ??
    are they in an enclosed space such as a cabinet or are they out in the open.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How hot? I don't have AC and during a heatwave, temperatures can reach 90° F during the day in the room where my Magnavox recorder is kept. Temperatures tend to cool by 5° F to 10° F overnight. It's been like that for years.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. i would suggest you make sure there is nothing in view of a window which the sun could use as a magnifying glass.
    There have been instances of fires being started by ornaments turning in to a magnifying glass as the sun passes by the window.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have curtains or blinds, close them obviously.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, everyone!

october262:
    The DVRs are in a closet but there aren't any doors on the closet and the closet permanent opening is about 2 ½ feet wide. Normally that's sufficient ventilation.

usually_quiet:
    The description of your room sounds like mine when the a/c isn't running. I expect you have windows open - which I can't do while away - but at that temperature the open windows probably aren't making any difference.

super8rescue and ronmaz:
    I have blinds on the windows which I'll leave closed. And the closet is on a 90∘ angle from the windows so the sunlight is not directly on them.

One more question: Do you feel that a fan blowing on the DVRs, at least during the day, is worth bothering to set up? Or given everything you've said it's not necessary and wouldn't make any difference?
    Quote Quote