VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. If I want to convert video files with the exact quality (bitrate, resolution, etc.) to HEVC H265 which software achieves the fastest result? Is conversion using VGA going to generate faster results? Most of the converters that I have used have a slider-type setting to select the output quality. I just want the output file to be exactly (or as close as possible) to the input file. I just want to convert the format and/or container.

PS: It could be a paid or a free program.
    Last edited by gooroomp; 6th Jun 2021 at 01:21.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I just want the output file to be exactly (or as close as possible) to the input file.
    then you would use lossless encoding which would increase the resolution a lot.

For fastest H.265 encoding you would probably use any encoder which uses NVEnc which requires an NVIDIA card.
    For fast H.265 software encoding you would use x265 with for example 'ultrafast' preset.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    I just want the output file to be exactly (or as close as possible) to the input file.
    then you would use lossless encoding which would increase the resolution a lot.

For fastest H.265 encoding you would probably use any encoder which uses NVEnc which requires an NVIDIA card.
    For fast H.265 software encoding you would use x265 with for example 'ultrafast' preset.
    This is my system:
    Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB RAM, 1TB Nvme SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Do you think NVEnc would produce a better result than CPU encoding? If so, which software do you recommend that uses NVEnc?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by gooroomp View Post
    Ryzen 9 3900X... NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti...

Do you think NVEnc would produce a better result than CPU encoding?
    Not at the same bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I agree with jagabo and whether one uses MeGui, StaxRip, Hybrid, Handbrake or some ffmpeg based gui which offers NVEnc support doesn't really matter in terms of quality or performance it's more a question which GUI layout one prefers. (personally I would use Hybrid since I'm it's author, but it's explicitly not trying to be newbie friendly,..)

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  6. The 750 Ti's HEVC encoder doesn't even support b-frames. That's a huge strike against it in terms of quality per bitrate.

https://en.google-info.org/43585284/1/nvidia-nvenc.html

A Ryzen 9 3900X running x265 will probably beat a GTX 750 Ti in speed too.
    Quote Quote  
  7. A Ryzen 9 3900X running x265 will probably beat a GTX 750 Ti in speed too.
    with preset 'ultrafast' this might be the case (assuming hardware decoding is used).
    Quote Quote