VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Greetings, and I am sorry if this isnt the correct area for this, I wasn't 100% sure where to post it but basically I am just trying to find out if it is possible to burn an interactive blu-ray and / or DVD, (kinda' like those old "choose your own adventure books", if any of you have any idea what I am referring to lol)...I am trying to figure out if theres a way using a dvd remote or whatever to choose different paths at say the end of a chapter...and then route those divergent routes together in a cohesive manner.... This may be a dumb inquiry, so I apologize if it seems so.... I would greatly appreciate anyone who takes the time to help answer this for me though....
    Thanks
    sincerely,
    Zak

[PS i also apologize if this is a previously answered thread, I tried searching for it but didn't have any luck]
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I changed your thread title so more people will help and welcome to the forums.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You need:

1. An authoring app that allows you to utilize much more of the spec than simpler authoring apps do. Particularly handy are those that allow you to manipulate the player's internal shift register memory, though that isn't necessary for the easier titles. For DVD: Scenarist, DVDMaestro, Encore (maybe), DVDArchitect (sort of), DVDStudioPro (Mac), a couple of others. Similarly on the BD side: Scenarist, Sony BluDiscStudio, a few other fairly expensive ones.
    2. Organization. You need to map out what you want to do and how every path diverges or converges, and see what assets are necessary to cover every permutation - especially at the transitions and the jump points. Then you need to assemble and/or create those assets.
    3. You also need a decent encoder that allows you to specify whether a particular frame is independent or not, so that you can smoothly & cleanly jump/switch paths, and those points MUST be independent in order for the switching to work properly and not glitch/hang/hold.
    4. Depending on how you put things together, you may also want an app that supports multi-angle, seamless branching playlists, I-frame still slideshow, subpicture highlighting, and button-over-video features (and some of those choices will put special requirements on the encoding). These features vary depending on format, but are generally available across the formats.
    5. Patience and fortitude.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 5th Jun 2021 at 01:42.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In other words, you are going to need more than some hints from forum members here and simple "burning" software. What you described is a complex project requiring lots of work, expertise, and professional authoring tools.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you very much for your insightful and enlightening replies...It is indeed much more complex of a project than I had guessed...(I knew it'd be more in depth than simply throwing the media in a normal burning program)...While some of the things that're needed and were listed are at least familiar to me, (in that I know what is being referred to, not that I have a deep understanding thereof) I have to admit there is a lot there that is still above my head...While I've realistically scrapped the idea for now, Would you be so kind as to perhaps point me in the right direction for beginning the long process of learning?(Less so to do the previously mentioned project and more so just for my own general pursuit of knowledge on the subject matter)..Thank you all for your time. Much appreciated.

Sincerely
    ZakK
    Quote Quote