VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am about to purchase a Canon XF400 UHD camera. I have read that if bought in England this camera will not film in 60p but only in 50p etc. I want 60p. How can I buy this camera with 60p in this country, or is there a firmware upgrade available to give 60p? Is the upgrade expensive, if so would it be cheaper to buy the camera from America?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The standard frame rates for the UK and Europe are 25 and multiples of that. There are other camcorders that will record at 30 and 60. Why do you want 60fps?
    To get 60fps you may have to import the camera from the USA.
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    60 is better than 50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    50p will look better than 60p on a PAL tv that has to convert 60p to 50p to display it.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very true, which makes me ask, why do we persist with all these different TV standards when the reasons for their origin are lost in the mists of antiquity? 25fps because England has a 50Hz mains supply, 30fps because America has 60Hz, etc. And more importantly what is the best system to use for filming today, given that I think any format will show on any computer in the world?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I live in Germany and so live in a part of "PAL land". Here the only reason to use 60p is for YouTube or other streaming websites, because 99% of all users have 60Hz refresh rate displays (-> 60 Hz is 60.000 Hz and 59 Hz for 59.940 Hz, which is the true video framerate or refresh rate of TV)
    You can also watch 60p on a PAL TV because all TVs have native 60p and native 50p mode. I have heard that in US these TVs do not support 50p, I can not believe that, but that's what I heard.
    If you use a HTPC or even the integrated Player in TV will give you true native 60p on a PAL TV!

But if you film in 60p and use older lighting stuff you could get flickering lights because older lights have 50 Hz/100Hz flicker which doesn't match 60p. Get LED or conventional Lightbulbs and the issue is gone.

But if you intend to broadcast the video in PAL land, use 50p!!! Every sat receiver, either integrated or standalone wants 50 Hz (25p or 50i in that case, but we need 50p and not 60p to be in native framerate)

"True native" 24p is another rabbithole
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all. It seems 60p might be slightly more widely usefull than 50p, and because 60p is slightly better motion than 50p I think I'll go for 60p. The question remains can I buy a 60p camera locally, or can anyone from the USA recommend a good dealer who will ship it to the UK?
    Quote Quote  
  8. 50p video on 50 Hz display is also very smooth! Please read my comment again. It depends on you goal. 60p is not „better“ than 50p in general!!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Or get a Panasonic which lets you get both worlds 50p and 60p out of the box.

You can also send the Canon to support and pay several hundred dollars for firmware flash to NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Most if not all modern flat panels do 60p and 50p because the refresh rate does not rely on the mains like it did for CRT TV's, So there is no such one is better than the other besides the extra 10 frames a second that might make a visual difference.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm thinking about either Panasonic UX80 OR DVX200. Two things bother me: someone said the DVX200 despite it's large sensor is not very good in low light? Is this true? Also apparantly the DVX200 has a fan and I really want a camera which is totaly silent. Anyone know how noisy this fan is? For instance can you hear it with your naked ears at 4 feet away in a quiet room?
    Last edited by timsky; 7th Jun 2021 at 14:01.
    Quote Quote