VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    "Microsoft to reveal its next generation of Windows on June 24th"

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/2/22465126/microsoft-windows-event-june-24th
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 16th Jun 2021 at 16:51. Reason: update.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe they will be announcing that Windows is moving to freeware.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hang on, I've just got an "invite" through Optional Updates to download 21H1.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/inside-this-update-93c5c27c-f96e-43c2-a08e...wsupdate=19043

Hopefully "reveal" means "we'll actually roll it out next year".
    Quote Quote  
  4. My fear is that it will feature a subscription model, MS had talked about something like that years ago but it never happened, at least not on the desktop, I don't know about enterprise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Win10 made you the beta tester.
    Will a new Win also now makes you the programmer?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Win10 made you the beta tester.
    Will a new Win also now makes you the programmer?
    Surprisingly, I have been quite happy with Win 10.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft to end Windows 10 support on October 14th, 2025.

Another sign that a new version of Windows is on the way.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/14/22533018/microsoft-windows-10-end-support-date
    Quote Quote  
  8. Those rounded corners are a huge breakthrough. No wonder they needed a new version number. Maybe Windows 12 will have completely round portals!

And so much for Microsoft's "Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows" claim.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Jun 2021 at 11:20.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft was going to release a new variant, Windows 10X, with a redesigned user interface but canceled it. Windows 10X eliminated legacy shell elements, such as the Control Panel, File Explorer, error dialogs, and old-style icons. Windows 11 is rumored to incorporate the user interface design features originally slated for Windows 10X.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  11. Too bad, just when Win 10 had become the best Windows yet.

Prepare for a repeat of the old Win 7 / Win 10 arguments, with many people complaining about Win 11 and stating that they will be sticking with Win 10 until they have no choice and the people that switch to Win 11 immediately and state that all the anti-Win 11 sentiments are overblown.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Too bad, just when Win 10 had become the best Windows yet.
    For what? Facebook, games, sure, I guess.
    For video? Hell no. Updates nuke capture cards especially. Win10 is infamous.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    It's the best in terms of stability, at least in my experience. In my experience, Win Me was the most unstable, crashed all the time, then Win 98 was better, Win 2k was light years ahead, XP was worse than 26 but better than 98m XP 64 bit was awesome, like a rock, Vista with UAC enabled was very resistant. Win 7 was better but it was still susceptible to malware and freezing up, though not that often.

Win 10, if properly configured, is as resilient to attack as RedHat/Fedora with SELinux enabled or Ubuntu with AppArmor.

Configure Win 10 with a limited user account, UAC set to max, Defender set to the default online mode and built in ransom ware enabled and no virus or malware is taking it down, not even cryptoviruses will affect it.

Yes there have been issues with Win 10 + updates but that holds true for all Windows versions, including Win 7, and it also holds true for Linux (Arch based systems with the AUR repository get messed up at the drop of a hat) and it holds true for Apple's OSes.

If an update is nuking your capture card in Win 10 it's because it's an old capture card with drivers that are no longer being updated, so Win 10 either disables them or tries to use a generic driver.

That's not the fault of Win 10, all OSes, if you have older hardware, you want to use older versions of the OS with stable drivers. I'm sure there's hardware that only works properly on 32 bit XP, doesn't mean that a 20 year old OS is the best option for most uses.
    Quote Quote  
  14. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Updated info:

System requirements

The basic system requirements of Windows 11 are similar to Windows 10. However, Windows 11 only supports 64-bit systems such as those using an x86-64 or ARM64 processor; support for IA-32 processors has been removed. Legacy BIOS is no longer supported; a UEFI system with Secure Boot and TPM 2.0 is now required. In addition, the minimum RAM and storage requirements were also increased; Windows 11 now requires at least 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage. S mode is only supported for the Home edition of Windows 11.

Also:

"List of features removed in Windows 11"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_features_removed_in_Windows_11
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I just finally switched from XP to a new computer with Windows 10 YESTERDAY......seriously.....no kidding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My yt home page is suddenly full of "why you can/not install Windows 11 on your PC'

So my vote of thanks to Ms for the variety as opposed to why ***** ***** will/not face the consequences of........

And my 2nd vote of thanks is to Ms itself for, apparently, screwing over its base inasmuch that Win11 will NOT install on systems that pass practically all it's requirements.

This comes over like Win7 >> Win8 again except that Win8 would install. It was just a shite OS.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my laptop is out because of the stupid TPM 2.0 requirement.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I installed it just for 1 day for a taste and went back to Windows 10 for stability.
    read the thread and decided to give my impressions.

To be clear:
    I installed the Dev version 21996.1 as an update, not the current insider build.
    My PC is fairly new and supports TPM 2.0, but I have it turned off.
    Windows 11 also requires secure boot to be turned on.
    There are "ways" around TPM and secure boot which I effected successfully.

My impressions:
    Install was smooth no issues. Didn't ask for a cd key.
    It looks great. Glassy Vista ish.
    Love the updated icons.
    All my programs run (remember I did a direct upgrade).
    So Chrome, qBitorrent, StaxRip, OBS, libreOffice, ABBYY reader, SumatraPDF, handbrake, Notepad++...
    Windows 10 drivers installed for all my hardware, but again my PC is newish (Ryzen 7)
    Drivers also installed for older hardware like a Dell monitor from 2013 and an off brand "gaming" headset.
    Very snappy. Could be placebo.
    I'm an occasional gamer. Metro and LoL run fine.
    It very much seems like Windows 10x plus.
    Windows security was there but didn't test it.
    I had a genuinely good experience and will definitely upgrade to the official build.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought an i5-10400 and a Z490 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 motherboard to update my HTPC. I haven't looked at the motherboard itself yet (it is still sealed in its anti-static bag) but there is no TPM header shown on the motherboard diagram in the manual. It looks like I'm not installing Windows 11 on that system either.
    Quote Quote  
  20. In December ASRock updated the manual to show the TPM header is there. Check online. Looks like you'll have to buy the module.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    In December ASRock updated the manual to show the TPM header is there. Check online. Looks like you'll have to buy the module.
    Thanks. I downloaded the PDF user manual from ASRock's Global download link earlier this month, but it doesn't show a TPM header on the motherboard diagram or list it among the connections for the motherboard. I looked at a photo of my motherboard to see if I could find any unreferenced mystery headers. There is one, a 9-pin header labeled "BIOS_PH" near the lower right corner of the MB, but that is used for un-bricking the MB if the BIOS is corrupted.

The BIOS section of the manual does reference a TPM ("Enable/disable Intel PTT in ME. Disable this option to use discrete TPM Module.") "PTT" is Intel Platform Trust Technology and ME is the Intel Management Engine. PTT is supposed to implement TPM in system firmware. I hope that will be good enough.

[Edit] PTT should work. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Windows-11-No-Trusted-Platform-Module-Many-AMD-and-Intel....548267.0.html
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 30th Jun 2021 at 17:24.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    How old is your laptop?Most computers built in the last 5 years have tpm 2.0 but disabled in the bios.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I planned to upgrade to Windows 11 this week but I was too busy watching Wimbledon and Euros so I will probably do it next weekend.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    windows 11 user here, it works nice. it somehow perceived full compatibility, and updating to it felt like average windows update
    Last edited by pm-s; 4th Jul 2021 at 09:01.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    All the capture cards i've ever used worked on it. With the exception of really old ones (that don't even work with win7
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by pm-s View Post
    windows 11 user here, it works nice. it somehow perceived full compatibility, and updating to it felt like average windows update
    We will definitely see some changes and updates from Microsoft before the final fully complete version.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    How old is your laptop?Most computers built in the last 5 years have tpm 2.0 but disabled in the bios.
    it is a Dell inspiron N5050 originally had windows 7 and now windows 10 home via free upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Too old,was made almost 10 years ago.You can always buy an addon card but with that old of a laptop 1 wouldn't upgrade anything.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote