VideoHelp Forum

Try NordVPN to access Netflix or other streaming services from any country and also surf safely!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. If 3fps is converted to 23fps and EVERYTHING else is the same, how would somebody see a difference in quality?
    Depending on the fps content will appear smoother or not.
    Are you saying that, if the only difference in two computer videos is that one has duplicated frames, there are specific devices that would not play the duplicated frames the same way as the non-duplicated frames?
    yes.

But, I don't anticipate trying to increase a quality attribute unless there is something obvious and agreed upon in the video community that I am not aware of.
    Since you don't want to keep the original and lossless isn't an option the presented crf range of 15-23 is something most users will agree on as a range where the average user will not see a difference during normal playback.

That is, if I start with a video file and I am not unhappy with its current fps, I would not try to increase the fps
    The general rule is "do not mess with the frame rate" unless you exactly know what you are doing and what it implies.

But, y'all might tell me something like "if you really wanna retain quality, but, reduce size, look to see if your file is using codec XYZ and convert it to codec UVW".
    (codec = coder and decoder)
    In general lossy conversions should be avoided.
    Don't care the source video/audio format is. I recommend to use either x264 (creates H.264 content) or x265 (creates H.265 content) as encoder start with a specific option set (preset 'slow') and figure out what you perceive as quality. Personally I encode content I keep (and which isn't personal or work related) at a crf of 15 and if I just want to quickly encode something to shrink the size and probably later delete it or replace the file crf 23 and hardware encoding is fine. (crf=0 means lossless encoding)
    -> you wanted something to start with, I gave you names of tools and encoders to start with, that's all I can do

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Since you do not want to restore/enhance content:

:
    :
    :
    lotsa stuff
    :
    :
    :
    Cu Selur

OK, real good information. Thanks!

I ended up on this site because I have been converting videos and was trusting apps like HandBrake to do what was needed. I found all of the apps lacking in some way when I try to do all of the conversion in "one click" (once I set all of the parameters). I am not opposed to doing two or three steps or apps, but, I thought I would explore ffmpeg since that seemed to be what most apps are based on. I basically set out to prove to myself that using the command line ffmpeg could accomplish everything I wanted to do. Preferably in one ffmpeg command, but, I have also tried using cmd/batch files to execute multiple statements but launched with just "one click".

I believe I have the capability to eventually build a GUI that will also do what is lacking from the other apps (for example, to set the "title", "frame width", and, "frame height" Windows file properties). And, to have the GUI execute that one ffmpeg command, I first need to know how to build that statement. Obviously that involves knowing the syntax of the switches and knowing alternative ways to do basically the same things. I also understand that a ffmpeg API may allow me to do things in a different way than just launching an ffmpeg command. It would be helpful to understand various traps that could clobber my intentions. And, I may end up knowing that I would need more than one ffmpeg command for a particular type of conversion.

So, onward with the learning.
    Last edited by the_steve_randolph; 5th Jun 2021 at 07:42.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    But, I don't anticipate trying to increase a quality attribute unless there is something obvious and agreed upon in the video community that I am not aware of.
    Since you don't want to keep the original and lossless isn't an option the presented crf range of 15-23 is something most users will agree on as a range where the average user will not see a difference during normal playback.
    Yes, for this project to test what is acceptable to me, I don't want to keep the original. But, there is something I don't understand: why would that mean "lossless isn't an option"?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Oh, and I guess I can provide some more info so that you know where I am coming from. My computer is a gamer system I built myself a year ago, so, it has all the horsepower that I need. I have a BS in Computer Science from a well-respected technology school in the United States. I mainly program business/enduser apps, so, there will reach a point in drilling down to the machine code is beyond what I want to use. But, it is helpful to know a certain amount of what is going on under the hood. And, I have been messing around with computers since 1977. So, you can see why I am interested in how I can help myself out when I am in the old folks home
    Quote Quote  
  5. why would that mean "lossless isn't an option"?
    Since you wanted to lower the file size.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    why would that mean "lossless isn't an option"?
    Since you wanted to lower the file size.
    Well, in starting this project and setting the parameters, the goal seemed to be having my videos in a smaller physical space than the originals. That is, I could have 500 DVDs bought in the stores and all the space 500 DVD cases take up, or, I can explore converting them to a smaller physical space without losing noticeable playback quality. For example, I am converting a series of movies (think "Police Academy", a complete TV series on 16 discs, etc.) on multiple DVDs to a single disc. This could reduce the physical size of 6 DVD cases to a single DVD case or even to a CD jewel case.

So, again you have taught me something: when I am Googling and run across people talking about using or not using lossless, I know what that means.
    Quote Quote