VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I'm trying to watch both Viaplay and Netflix in Ultra HD on my computer, but currently it fails. This is my current setup:
    - MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS laptop, with GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8GB graphics card. This laptop has a built-in Full HD screen
    - Via HDMI, I've connected an external monitor to my laptop. This is the LG 29WL500 monitor, a 21:9 Full HD monitor

My current setup doesn't fullfil the HDCP 2.2 requirement to watch Ultra HD on Netflix and Viaplay. I guess you're wondering now: why do you care about Ultra HD if you don't have a 4K monitor? Good question. Well, since my current setup doesn't fullfil the HDCP 2.2 requirement, Viaplay allows me to only watch their UHD content in 720p50fps 5000mbps quality. Ultra HD on a Full HD monitor would still look better than this 720p stream.

I already found out that there are HDMI splitters on the market which can bypass HDCP 2.2, but I'm not entirely sure how to set this up. I've watched many videos on Youtube about this, but I think their situation is way more complicated than mine, as they want to record/capture Ultra HD stuff as well via an Elgato capture card. But that's not what I want, I simply would like to watch Ultra HD on my computer (even it's only a Full HD monitor), nothing else.

In my case, is it just a matter of doing this?
    - Connect my laptop via a HDMI 2.0 cable to a HDMI splitter, which can bypass HDCP 2.2
    - Then connect that splitter to my external Full HD monitor via another HDMI 2.0 cable

Would it be that simple? Or do HDMI splitters that can bypass HDCP 2.2 only work with 4K monitors?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Look on ebay for a device that will output hdcp 2.2.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply, johns0!

I just had a quick look on Ebay, and found this:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164557893893?hash=item26506a3105:g:uyMAAOSwPRFfylw4

Is a device like this the thing I need? In other words: any HDMI splitter will do the trick, as long as it outputs HDCP 2.2? Is that correct?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That won't work,you need a device that will output hdcp 2.2,that just passes along hdcp 2.2 if it's there to begin with.You can buy this item from your ebay or from that site.
    http://www.premiertek.net/products/cable/HDCP-1422.htm
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ah, now I understand, I think. So, I need a device which converts 1.4 to 2.2? Then I'm going to order the device you suggest.

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If your external monitor is hdcp 2.2 compliant then you will need that device.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TheCount_180 View Post
    Hi,

I'm trying to watch both Viaplay and Netflix in Ultra HD on my computer, but currently it fails. This is my current setup:
    - MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS laptop, with GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8GB graphics card. This laptop has a built-in Full HD screen
    - Via HDMI, I've connected an external monitor to my laptop. This is the LG 29WL500 monitor, a 21:9 Full HD monitor

My current setup doesn't fullfil the HDCP 2.2 requirement to watch Ultra HD on Netflix and Viaplay. I guess you're wondering now: why do you care about Ultra HD if you don't have a 4K monitor? Good question. Well, since my current setup doesn't fullfil the HDCP 2.2 requirement, Viaplay allows me to only watch their UHD content in 720p50fps 5000mbps quality. Ultra HD on a Full HD monitor would still look better than this 720p stream.

I already found out that there are HDMI splitters on the market which can bypass HDCP 2.2, but I'm not entirely sure how to set this up. I've watched many videos on Youtube about this, but I think their situation is way more complicated than mine, as they want to record/capture Ultra HD stuff as well via an Elgato capture card. But that's not what I want, I simply would like to watch Ultra HD on my computer (even it's only a Full HD monitor), nothing else.

In my case, is it just a matter of doing this?
    - Connect my laptop via a HDMI 2.0 cable to a HDMI splitter, which can bypass HDCP 2.2
    - Then connect that splitter to my external Full HD monitor via another HDMI 2.0 cable

Would it be that simple? Or do HDMI splitters that can bypass HDCP 2.2 only work with 4K monitors?

Thanks in advance!
    Have you tried playing some unprotected 2160p HDR 10 videos from a free 4K HDR TV demo video site with your setup to be sure it displays OK before buying a device that removes HDCP or converts HDCP? If not, maybe you should try that first, before buying anything.

I know there are 1080p monitors that can accept 2160p HDR10 input and downscale it to HD resolution and tone-map HDR-10 to SDR because I have one. However, my monitor has an HDMI 2.0 input. I don't have the bandwidth to stream UHD Netflix but my monitor can display UHD HDR-10 output from my desktop PC as well as display the output of a set-top UHD Blu-ray player playing a commercial UHD Blu-ray disc.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. @johns0 I'm not sure if I understand your comment? Because, I was assuming that the Premiertek would make my external monitor 2.2 compatible? I don't think my monitor is 2.2 compatible out of the box? Sorry to sound like a newbie, but actually, I'm quite new to this.

@usually_quiet Thanks for your comment as well! Unfortunately, my external monitor doesn't do this. When I watch a 2160p50 HDR10 video, then it looks quite dark on my monitor. So, I don't think it converts it to SDR, isn't it?
    Last edited by TheCount_180; 30th May 2021 at 17:29.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried playing anything on that monitor to see if it works anyways?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have some 2160p50 HDR10 video files on my hard drive, which all run fine on the external monitor via VLC Media Player. But they're not DRM protected.

When I try to play a 4K video on Viaplay, then it shows me the 720p50fps version of it, because my monitor is only Full HD and has probably no HDCP 2.2 support out of the box.

EDIT: This is what Viaplay requires to watch 4K content. Taken from the Viaplay website, translated by Google Translate:
    "Microsoft Edge browser. To stream in 4K, you need an HDMI connection that is compatible with HDCP 2.2 or a built-in monitor that can display content in 4K, as well as a 7th generation Intel Core processor."
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @usually_quiet Thanks for your comment as well! Unfortunately, my external monitor doesn't do this. When I watch a 2160p50 HDR10 video, then it looks quite dark on my monitor. So, I don't think it converts it to SDR, isn't it?
    Like my monitor, yours has a 6-bit + FRC panel (equivalent to an 8-bit panel) and can reproduce almost the entire sRGB color space, which is nearly the same as the Rec. 709 color space used for SDR video. However, the DCI-P3 color space, which is currently the color space used for most 4K HDR video, is 25% larger. That means some colors must be converted to the nearest equivalent in the sRGB color space using tone-mapping. Absent tone-mapping, HDR10 video looks faded when viewed on a TV or monitor that is only capable of sRGB. Some sRGB monitors can do tone-mapping (as mine does) if they receive 4K HDR video input. However, my monitor doesn't do tone-mapping automatically. I have to use one of the two 4K HDR modes among its settings for 4K HDR input to play correctly.

The other component of HDR is greater brightness and more contrast. Good HDR displays can produce brighter highlights as well as brighter colors than a typical SDR display. If the display can't produce the required brightness, the picture looks darker than it should.

I have some 2160p50 HDR10 video files on my hard drive, which all run fine on the external monitor via VLC Media Player. But they're not DRM protected.

When I try to play a 4K video on Viaplay, then it shows me the 720p50fps version of it, because my monitor is only Full HD and has probably no HDCP 2.2 support out of the box.

EDIT: This is what Viaplay requires to watch 4K content. Taken from the Viaplay website, translated by Google Translate:
    "Microsoft Edge browser. To stream in 4K, you need an HDMI connection that is compatible with HDCP 2.2 or a built-in monitor that can display content in 4K, as well as a 7th generation Intel Core processor."
    Recent versions of VLC also perform tone-mapping on video that is encoded for 4K HDR so that it looks close to the way it is intended to look on an SDR display.

I am using Windows 10, an 8th generation Intel Core i processor, and the HDMI port is HDMI 2.0. HDCP 2.2 is only necessary for protected content but HDMI 2.0 is needed for 4K 50Hz input or 4K 60 Hz input.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote