VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by jpvoodoo View Post
    The problem occurs when VLC is configured to either AUTO or deinterlace.
    The problem occurred long before that. You resized the interlaced video improperly before encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome Work Skiller. That solves that part of the puzzle.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jpvoodoo View Post
    Roxio VHS to DVD 3
    Use VirtualDub or AmarecTV instead.[/QUOTE]

Virtualdub can't make an iso. I am using DVDstyler to encode from huffyuv/avi to DVD/ISO. Does Amarec make ISOs?

Look like I can't upload a sample either. The link video asks for a URL. It won't let me browse for a file like the image upload.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Click on 'Upload files/Manage attachments' (part of your next reply)

So, if you are saying that you did not resize the fault is your use of DVDstyler. But with an actual sample it may be easier to guide you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Virtualdub does not make DVDs. That is why I use DVDStyler. Does AmarecTV make ISOs?

Here is a sample of my source file.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Virtualdub can't make an iso. I am using DVDstyler to encode from huffyuv/avi to DVD/ISO. Does Amarec make ISOs?
    No they both don't. You should use one of the two just for capturing to AVI. It makes sure you have a proper capture.
    After that you can use DVDstyler for making the DVD.

Look like I can't upload a sample either. The link video asks for a URL. It won't let me browse for a file like the image upload.
    After you clicked on "Reply to Thread" or "Quote" you click on "Upload files/Manage attachments" and select a file to upload.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDstyler is not my prog of choice and it does appear to be doing something 'odd'. The initial dialog asked for the DAR and I selected 4:3. However, you will see from the attached vob the video is reported as 16:9

The send sample is just raw dvd-compliant mpeg2 from avstodvd.

Both created progressive video without any input on my part - the source was still mysteriously reported as progressive.

The $64K is if you still see the issues you referred to.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did get a sample uploaded finally.
    So we found out the switch has no effect,
    I still think DVDStyler believes that the source is progressive.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    D883, I do see the same issue. Whatever you used did the same thing.
    I feel like I am going backwards.
    When I was manually deinterlacing, my picture looked good. This is scrambling it.
    I am wooding if there was a way to change the ffmpeg command to tell it that the source is interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It still makes no sense to see interlaced video captured and reported as progressive even if it really is interlaced.

But there are so many issues with the capture and it could be these (I see orange lines throughout and the candles have interlacing artefacts)

Can I ask if you did anything in vdub when you captured this. But much could be down to the quality (or lack thereof) of the capture device
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used OBS (you can use huffyuv). Vdub causes a shift in audio, so that's why I used OBS. It also drops out the audio. It's not acceptable to me to have to adjust audio skew that was captured at the same time as the video. Any program that can't do that automatically is garbage. Vdub is not a viable capture program for me. I can't have the mouths moving before the sound. I am not going to try to calculate the skew. So OBS is what I use. It is simple and accurate.

I was happy manually deinterlacing until I got such pressure an pushback to not manually deinterlace that i wound up going down this rabbit hole of getting the DVD player to deinterlace it. My original question was about framerates. I want to send these DVDs out in a week and I don't know what to do. I am frustrated.

It was a straight capture with no filters, no encoding, PCM Audio and huffyuv.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Setup DVDStyler like this and it should be OK with your Huffy source
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ds.png
Views:	42
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	59148  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used OBS.................................

Nuff said.

OBS is the worse possible program you can use for VHS capture. It does not capture the direct stream it records what it finds in your video screen buffer. In other words a screen-capture program.

If vdub has sync issues (always capture with audio off in preview) then try with AmarecTV.

But you get no sympathy using OBS and that in it self might be the reason for the 'progressive' malarkey.

BTW The 16:9 matter was a false negative. The vob may report it so but the dvd, in full screen, looks more 4:3 than 16:9.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you.
    The only difference in settings I had was the keep aspect ratio checkbox was checked. That is where I have been specifying interlaced in the destination area. I unchecked the box to see if it makes a difference.My understanding is that it instructs DVDstyler to encode interlaced, regardless of whether the sauce was already interlaced. That's why I was worried that it would double-interlace.
    I'll be back...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I ran the test from those settings. It completely corrects any AR issues (I believe now I saw 720*480 in a 16:9 frame with pillar-boxing to fill the frame). When the box is checked you effectively have 3:2 video (720*480) in a 4:3 frame with some letter-boxing. Un-check the box and the 4:3 frame is complete.

Not so convinced about the field-order though. Mpeg2 is indeed top-field-first (TFF). Avi is, normally, bottom-field-first. Of course if that capture was truly progressive then you can set whatever field-order you want. I guess that is what you mean by 'double-interlacing' when you inadvertingly set the wrong field-order and the video is corrupted.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Sample properly encoded to interlaced VOB:

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i "hutchings-sample.avi" -c:v mpeg2video -vf scale=w=iw:h=ih:interl=1,format=pix_fmts=yuv420p -flags +ildct+ilme -alternate_scan 1 -trellis 2 -top 1  -dc 10 -g 12 -bf 2 -qmin 1 -qmax 31 -b:v 6000k -minrate 1000000 -maxrate 9000000 -bufsize 1835008 -packetsize 2048 -muxrate 10080000 -c:a ac3 "hutchings-sample_i.vob"
    No wavy artifacts on playback.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th May 2021 at 20:50.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Not so convinced about the field-order though. Mpeg2 is indeed top-field-first (TFF). Avi is, normally, bottom-field-first.
    There's no "normally" here. Both can tff, bff, or progressive.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I used OBS.................................

Nuff said.

OBS is the worse possible program you can use for VHS capture. It does not capture the direct stream it records what it finds in your video screen buffer. In other words a screen-capture program.

If vdub has sync issues (always capture with audio off in preview) then try with AmarecTV.

But you get no sympathy using OBS and that in it self might be the reason for the 'progressive' malarkey.

BTW The 16:9 matter was a false negative. The vob may report it so but the dvd, in full screen, looks more 4:3 than 16:9.
    I don't know where that came from. It was captured 740x480 and huffyuv said it was 3:2. That was the advice I was given with the understanding that it would be encoded to 4:3 later

I've already been lectured for using OBS.

I don't know what to say. OBS gives me superior results to virtual dub, Sometimes you can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. My relatives would like to see these DVDs before I die. OBS was giving me a good picture and the mouths moved in time. That's really all I want. I want to go back and choose the blue pill. However, I do use virtual dub for editing.

Maybe I will give AmarecTV a try. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jpvoodoo View Post
    It was captured 740x480 and huffyuv said it was 3:2. That was the advice I was given with the understanding that it would be encoded to 4:3 later
    Only if you tell the encoder to do that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Sample properly encoded to interlaced VOB:

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i "hutchings-sample.avi" -c:v mpeg2video -vf scale=w=iw:h=ih:interl=1,format=pix_fmts=yuv420p -flags +ildct+ilme -alternate_scan 1 -trellis 2 -top 1  -dc 10 -g 12 -bf 2 -qmin 1 -qmax 31 -b:v 6000k -minrate 1000000 -maxrate 9000000 -bufsize 1835008 -packetsize 2048 -muxrate 10080000 -c:a ac3 "hutchings-sample_i.vob"

Mediainfo still reports that as 3:2 not 4:3

To the OP.

That was not a 'lecture'. That was a fact of life. But I do not, nor will ever, use OBS so if there is some obscure setting in that that captures 'progressive' then atleast do yourself a big favour and correct it if you insist on using something that was never designed for interlaced/analog sources.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CORRECTION: UNCLE! I have just discovered I have NO OTHER OPTION but to ditch OBS. It isn't just a recommendation.

"OBS does not natively provide deinterlacing, and can only record in progressive scan mode. If your capture card does not provide on-the-fly deinterlacing, you may have to record as progressive-interlaced, then use a video editor to either convert or deinterlace it.".

Here is the rest of the link. https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/interlaced-output.137484/

Since OBS "can only record in progressive mode" and my capture card probably doesn't deinterlace, i get an interlaced file that says it is progressive. This must be what this poster refers to as "progressive-interlaced." I think he just made the term up.

My choices appear to be:
    1. I get the vdub audio working reliably or pick a different capture program.
    2. Use Jagabo's ffmpeg voodoo on every captured file.

I think my next test is to vdub capture again and feed that to DVD styler. I think DVD Styler will treat the input file differently. Maybe if it knows the content is interlaced, it will just not interlace it and leave it alone.
    Last edited by jpvoodoo; 28th May 2021 at 07:59. Reason: New Information
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You milage may vary but back in day when I started capturing VHS with a simple PCI capture card connected straight to a VCR I was never able to get perfect audio sync across the whole capture (it was acceptable at best thanks to VirtualDub's efforts of re-syncing). The reason are spots on the tape where there is no stable signal. It just wreaks havoc with most capture devices and the result are frame inserts and drops plus out of sync audio. Tried all settings possible but the only thing that fixed it was putting something inbetween the capture card and the VCR that copes with the instabilities and outputs a clean analog signal.
    Last edited by Skiller; 28th May 2021 at 08:38.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Sample properly encoded to interlaced VOB:

Code:

Mediainfo still reports that as 3:2 not 4:3
    Oops. I forgot to add the AR flag:

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i "hutchings-sample.avi" -aspect 4:3 -c:v mpeg2video -vf scale=w=iw:h=ih:interl=1,format=pix_fmts=yuv420p -flags +ildct+ilme -alternate_scan 1 -trellis 2 -top 1  -dc 10 -g 12 -bf 2 -qmin 1 -qmax 31 -b:v 6000k -minrate 1000000 -maxrate 9000000 -bufsize 1835008 -packetsize 2048 -muxrate 10080000 -c:a ac3 "hutchings-sample_i.vob"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CORRECTION: UNCLE! I have just discovered I have NO OTHER OPTION but to ditch OBS. It isn't just a recommendation.

"OBS does not natively provide deinterlacing, and can only record in progressive scan mode. If your capture card does not provide on-the-fly deinterlacing, you may have to record as progressive-interlaced, then use a video editor to either convert or deinterlace it.".

Here is the rest of the link. https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/interlaced-output.137484/

Since OBS "can only record in progressive mode" and my capture card probably doesn't deinterlace, i get an interlaced file that says it is progressive. This must be what this poster refers to as "progressive-interlaced." I think he just made the term up.

My choices appear to be:
    2. Use Jagabo's ffmpeg voodoo on every captured file.

I think my next test is to vdub capture again and feed that to DVD styler. I think DVD Styler will treat the input file differently. Maybe if it knows the content is interlaced, it will just not interlace it and leave it alone.

Capture with AmarecTv (or at the very least try it)

My tests provided the expected 'interlaced' report in mediainfo using Huffyuv
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying Amarec now. I tried virtualdub again and the video freezes. I did notice that it inserted frames while capturing, but no dropped frames. 12% cpu usage and very littlle SSD activity.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Could you provide a sample? Which huffyuv were you using (there are several variations)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Could you provide a sample? Which huffyuv were you using (there are several variations)?

I'll post a sample later (seems to be an issue with the site for uploads but it could just be me)

Huffyuv v2.1.1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the sample.

I posted a lagarith version from the same VHS source some days ago in another topic.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like Amarec freezes too. Could this be happening because of dropped frames? I know virtualdub can be set up o "insert frames" where it copies the same frame. If you had a duplicate frame five time, the picture might appear to be stuck. Maybe it isn't "freezing" and it is actually moving. Would a dropped frame cause this in virtualdub? How about amarec too?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As before, can you upload a sample - really do need to see one with some dialogue and not voice-over

But this 'freezing' could be due to the quality of the tape (or even the initial transfer from the camera)

AmarecTV reports in the lower part of the capture frame if it detects dropped frames. In your earlier progressive sample I noticed time-base issues and quite possibly the 'freeze' happens then.

Do also compare your result with the sample I uploaded earlier. And if you have one do also test with a commercial tape.
    Quote Quote