VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,

Until yesterday, Amarec recognised my USB-Live2 device by name in both 'Video Capture Device' and 'Audio Capture Device.'

Now it only sees "Hauppage Cx 23100 Video Capture" in both device fields. No mention of audio capture device in the audio field. (capture below)

Video and audio record fine nonetheless. However, values set in Device Setting->Video Proc Amp are not applied when recording. No control over contrast and brightness = 'blown' highlights and whites.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

[Attachment 59017 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by Rahneshin; 20th May 2021 at 05:19.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    However, values set in Device Setting->Video Proc Amp are not applied when recording
    This topic has ben addressed very often recently.

Start from Sharc guidelines:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/401349-GV-USB2-Capture-Stick-What-s-In-It/page2#post2616237

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/401809-Captures-Suddenly-Way-Too-Dark#post2619394
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure about that naming ?

My usb-live reports the same - the cx is the Conexant chip used by the unit. Even vdub reports the unit in this way.

I tested the Proc Amp but these do not seem to work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Are you sure about that naming ?

My usb-live reports the same - the cx is the Conexant chip used by the unit. Even vdub reports the unit in this way.

I tested the Proc Amp but these do not seem to work.
    Hi DB83,

I ran hcwclear.exe, uninstalled Hauppage Capture, and reinstalled WinTV.

Usb-live is mentioned by name now in the audio device field (capture below). I'm sure it was the same with the video field before. In any case, it records fine either way. Just couldn't understand why it suddenly disappeared and if it was the reason procamp settings were being ignored during recording.

For procamp, it seems there is another program called graphstudionext which sharc in the first thread linked by lollo above recommends for 'locking in' procamp settings during recordings in amarec.

Cheers.

[Attachment 59021 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    However, values set in Device Setting->Video Proc Amp are not applied when recording

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/401349-GV-USB2-Capture-Stick-What-s-In-It/page2#post2616237

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/401809-Captures-Suddenly-Way-Too-Dark#post2619394
    Thanks for your reply. Admit I didn't do a topic search before posting this. I wa

EDIT: Can't see anywhere that this post can be deleted!!!
    Last edited by Rahneshin; 20th May 2021 at 07:04.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM

Thanks for your reply.

Admit I didn't do a topic search on procamp settings before posting. I was more concerned with "usb-live2" disappearing from the 'capture device' fields in amarec.

I will try graphstudionext sharc recommends for 'locking in' procamp settings.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oops. Memo. Never reply before the 2nd coffee of the day

I see what you mean now. That option is present on my screen. I guess you corrupted the install some way.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. By that, do you mean that in your 'Video Capture Device' field "USB-Live2 etc" is mentioned by name?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Correct. As with yours just for audio.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forgive me. So, yours is also just for audio, or for both?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just audio.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, got it. Seems that's the best one can hope for then. Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thank you Rahneshin, for posting this thread. It has helped my to track-down the source of the gremlins that I have been battling with my own Hauppauge USB2.

From the very beginning, my Hauppauge device has shown-up as "Hauppauge Cx 23100". Then, after a few capture tests to set the proc amp, the proc amp went totally wonky. GraphStudio would no longer work with VDub, and AmerecTV wouldn't even boot-up.

Thanks to the description that you posted, the answer seems obvious---Hauppauge has an unstable driver! It has a severe memory leak/overrun, which tends to corrupt the settings of the capture SW. This is compounded by the fact that capture SW is designed to save and load the settings from the previous session. At least, GraphStudio has an option to restore settings to their default values. However, neither VDub nor AmerecTV seem to have a "default" option---forcing complete reinstallation of the SW.

Which, leads to the question of options. Is there a better Hauppauge driver, than the one offered by the factory? Is there a better cap device currently available? I have read quite a few discussions of better cap devices. But, none of them appear to still be available.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by anachronon View Post
    Thank you Rahneshin, for posting this thread. It has helped my to track-down the source of the gremlins that I have been battling with my own Hauppauge USB2.
    You're welcome. Glad to see that a complete newcomer like myself can be of some help.

However, neither VDub nor AmerecTV seem to have a "default" option---forcing complete reinstallation of the SW.
    Are you saying that by reinstalling Amarec the procamp settings of the USB2 will actually work (never mind, save) in Amarec?

Reinstalling the USB2 software (WinTV) did not do anything for making procamp settings "visible" to Amarec, for me. For now, Amarec still captures while ignoring procamp settings, which means blown highlights and whites, which are impossible to rectify in editing software.

Which, leads to the question of options. Is there a better Hauppauge driver, than the one offered by the factory? Is there a better cap device currently available? I have read quite a few discussions of better cap devices. But, none of them appear to still be available.
    For the driver, I downloaded the one from the Hauppage site, in case the one which came with the device was outdated.

I've seen PCIE capture cards which, if price is an indication, are probably better than USB2. For my purposes, that was going a step too far.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you saying that by reinstalling Amarec the procamp settings of the USB2 will actually work (never mind, save) in Amarec?
    AmarecTV does not "install", it is just decompressed in a folder. Its configuration file is called "AmaRecTV.ini", you can find in the AmarecTV directory, and you could also edit by hand if you wish.
    It has nothing to do with the procamp reset, that is managed by the card drivers: they reset the values at default (5000 for brightness and constrast, was 4992 with the previous driver version) each time a capture starts. Use jagabo and Sharc guidelines using GraphStudio in the other posts to set procamp wished settings for a capture with correct levels.

P.S. you could also capture with GraphStudio replacing AmarecTV, but that's another story. If you are familiar with this I can post the GraphStudio capture graph I use sometime, but audio/video synch should be carefully checked because everything relies on Microsoft AVI Mux filter behavior
    Last edited by lollo; 21st May 2021 at 15:57.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM

AmarecTV does not "install", it is just decompressed in a folder. Its configuration file is called "AmaRecTV.ini", you can find in the AmarecTV directory, and you could also edit by hand if you wish.
    Of course, lol. Was not thinking when I wrote that.

Is there any way to edit the settings/behaviour of the USB2 card by hand within the card's driver files (C:\Program Files (x86)\WinTV\Win10 Drivers), specifically the default procamp settings?

Use jagabo and Sharc guidelines using GraphStudio in the other posts to set procamp wished settings for a capture with correct levels.
    Yes, I looked at the thread you linked before, thanks. Have installed GraphStudio and am trying to learn how to use it. It is completely new territory for me and a little puzzling.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any way to edit the settings/behaviour of the USB2 card by hand within the card's driver files
    The location you listed probably does not contain the drivers, is the installation path.
    Modifying a driver itself is a hard task, very difficult without expertize and development kits. Do not touch it
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. Got it. Guess that would've been just too easy.

Grazie tante.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I looked at the thread you linked before, thanks. Have installed GraphStudio and am trying to learn how to use it. It is completely new territory for me and a little puzzling.
    If you only want the Proc Amp access:
    1. Start up Graphstudio
    2. Graph> Insert filter
    3. Scroll down to your capture device and click on "Analog Capture"
    4. Click Insert, then close that window
    5. You'll now have a box showing your capture device and the pins (don't ask me anything about these because "I know nuffink!") .
    6. Right click on the box and choose Properties
    7. On the window that pops up, click on the Video Proc Amp tab and you'll get access to your Proc Amp controls.

With thanks to The Wizard Jabago for this.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 22nd May 2021 at 10:12. Reason: spelin.
    Quote Quote  
  20. By "reinstall", I meant deleting the unzipped operating version that I had, and again unzipping the compressed file that I had downloaded, to create a new copy.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by anachronon View Post
    By "reinstall", I meant deleting the unzipped operating version that I had, and again unzipping the compressed file that I had downloaded, to create a new copy.
    And what does this do as far as procamp settings? Does it make amarec "remember" the settings during actual recording?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Code:
    By "reinstall", I meant deletin...
    To be honest I do not understand all the problems you are facing and reporting.

I did the following (in less than 1 minute) capturing from composite output of my camera:

1- open GraphStudioNext and insert the filter "Hauppauge Cx23100 Video Capture"
    2- open AmarecTV
    3- set brigthness in procamp at minimum in filter "Hauppauge Cx23100 Video Capture"
    4- start capture
    5- during capture set brigthness in procamp at maximum

Attached the captured file, where i added the histogram, self explaining. If this does not work for you let us know, we can help.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    3- set brigthness in procamp at minimum in filter "Hauppauge Cx23100 Video Capture"
    In graphstudio or in amarec?

4- start capture
    5- during capture set brigthness in procamp at maximum

Why brightness at minimum and then at maximum?

Always appreciate yours and others valuable help here. Have learned a great deal in a short while.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much, Alwyn.

I followed those steps and, eureka, procamps finally worked!

The captures came out darker than when displayed in amarec during recording, but no biggie. I can compensate for that.

Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post

If you only want the Proc Amp access:
    "only" Are there others which are worthwhile?

Cheers, and thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Code:
    GraphStudio. It was just a quick experiment trying to help user anachronon who had some trouble with crushed blacks and was unable to set-up procamp to capture inside legal Y16-235 levels

Code:
    Just to shows that procamp settings are effective with the suggested procedure and that usb live-2 captures 16(left spike)-254(rigth spike).
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rahneshin
    "only" Are there others which are worthwhile?
    I think you can use it to change your capture workflow by changing the "connections" the various components. At the moment though, that's above my paygrade!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Rahneshin, have you tried Virtual Dub for capture (you may have said so somewhere but I don't recall)? It has a basic Histogram that allows adjustments of the brightness and contrast (and other parameters) prior to or during capture. Brightness controls the left end and Contrast controls the right end. The best VDub for capture according to Lord Smurf is VDub 1.9.11.

This is with my IO-Data GV-USB2 using Graphstudio for access to the Proc Amp.

[Attachment 59081 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by Alwyn; 22nd May 2021 at 21:53.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think you can use it to change your capture workflow by changing the "connections" the various components
    For procamp setting you just need to load in GraphStudio the Video Capture filter of your capture device.

If you want to capture with GraphStudio (better GraphStudioNext) you do not have many choices for the connections of the pins of the capture device, some more freedom for the rest. Audio and Video synch completely relies on Microsoft AVI Mux settings and behavior.

Here 2 graphs I use sometimes with my Hauppauge USB-Live 2:

capture without video and without audio preview

[Attachment 59088 - Click to enlarge]

capture without audio preview (the video rendering part highly depends on the system)

[Attachment 59089 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Code:
    GraphStudio. It was just a quick experiment trying to help user anachronon who had some trouble with crushed blacks and was unable to set-up procamp to capture inside legal Y16-235 levels

Code:
    Just to shows that procamp settings are effective with the suggested procedure and that usb live-2 captures 16(left spike)-254(rigth spike).
    Thank you, lollo.

I have noticed also that brightness and contrast done in procamp via graphstudionext and displayed in amarec during preview/recording is not how they turn out in the resultant avi. Everything comes out darker than what I set. The steps you've given to anachronon is a solution for this, correct?

Cheers.
    Last edited by Rahneshin; 23rd May 2021 at 06:26.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Rahneshin, have you tried Virtual Dub for capture (you may have said so somewhere but I don't recall)? It has a basic Histogram that allows adjustments of the brightness and contrast (and other parameters) prior to or during capture. Brightness controls the left end and Contrast controls the right end. The best VDub for capture according to Lord Smurf is VDub 1.9.11.

This is with my IO-Data GV-USB2 using Graphstudio for access to the Proc Amp.
    Thanks, Alwyn.

I have tried vdub but video and audio always go badly out of sync. Apparently, this is a known problem with USB-Live2 and vdub. Hence, why I moved to amarec which gives no such headache.

Cheers!
    Quote Quote