VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I'm very noob, I'm trying to pass some AVS to MPEG-2 so I can make DVDs, any way to encode them into MPEG-2 in the best quality possible but not a very hard way? I've tried avidemux its really good but I cant keep the original PAL aspect ratio and it get some audio interferences or green flashes at least 1 or 2 times in the videos, any other program that accept AVS files? I tried virtual dub frame server with TMPEGEnc but it dont do 50FPS, I want keep the original MPEG files as 50fps, thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD, will create either an mpg file or video_ts (dvd) folder. Your choice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you select mpeg2 (ff) for the video format, the aspect ratio is set by 'configure'

Set the output format as Mpeg PS (muxer) and configure the output as dvd

avstodvd does use avisynth but it creates its own scripts - I do not think you can import one of your own in to that.

An mpeg encoder that works with avisynth scripts and has all the relevant settings for dvd is Hcenc with its gui HcBatchgui. (HcEnc is one of the encoders used by avstodvd)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    When you select mpeg2 (ff) for the video format, the aspect ratio is set by 'configure'

Set the output format as Mpeg PS (muxer) and configure the output as dvd

avstodvd does use avisynth but it creates its own scripts - I do not think you can import one of your own in to that.

An mpeg encoder that works with avisynth scripts and has all the relevant settings for dvd is Hcenc with its gui HcBatchgui. (HcEnc is one of the encoders used by avstodvd)
    A2D does have the provision of using a script as the source, then its generated script simply imports the user script as the source.
    I used to enjoy playing around with HCenc GUI myself, but haven't touched it for a while. To get the best out of it, you have to know
    what you're doing
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by FelipeArchives View Post
    I tried virtual dub frame server with TMPEGEnc but it dont do 50FPS
    Neither does DVD.

Originally Posted by FelipeArchives View Post
    I want keep the original MPEG files as 50fps, thank you!
    Then keep them as MPEG. You'll never get a DVD out of them. Read What Is DVD.

The closest you might get is by interlacing them to 25i (or 50 fields per second)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If desperate, perhaps ffmpeg with options something like this (if PAL dvd output)
    Code:
    -f dvd -video_format pal -b:v 8999999 -target pal-dvd
    Of course, your bit architecture build of ffmpeg.exe (x32 or x64) must match the version of avisynth+ and associated plugins which you are using. Also remember to use the right interlace flags if your input is interlaced.

I ran across that issue with https://www.videohelp.com/software/HC since I gather HC is 32-bit and I use 64-bit avisynth+.
    Last edited by hydra3333; 20th May 2021 at 01:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

A2D does have the provision of using a script as the source, then its generated script simply imports the user script as the source.
    I used to enjoy playing around with HCenc GUI myself, but haven't touched it for a while. To get the best out of it, you have to know
    what you're doing

That's fair enough, I have only used the options available in the edit >> avisynth part of the program.

Looking a little closer, there may be an issue if the imported script is complex (unless the script points back to an independent install of avisynth) and requires other filters which would have to be duplicated in the Lib folder of avstodvd.

Yes, HCenc is not for beginners and there are so many settings to make you pull out your remaining hair Just mentioned it as an option for the original question from the OP.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by FelipeArchives View Post
    Hello, I'm very noob, I'm trying to pass some AVS to MPEG-2 so I can make DVDs, any way to encode them into MPEG-2 in the best quality possible but not a very hard way? I've tried avidemux its really good but I cant keep the original PAL aspect ratio and it get some audio interferences or green flashes at least 1 or 2 times in the videos, any other program that accept AVS files? I tried virtual dub frame server with TMPEGEnc but it dont do 50FPS, I want keep the original MPEG files as 50fps, thank you!
    To make it easy:
    Load your avs into clever FFmpeg-GUI, main, video conversion, continue, Settings like attached pic, click convert.

P.S. DVD resolution: 720x480 for NTSC, 720x576 for PAL.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	59023  

Last edited by ProWo; 20th May 2021 at 08:54.
    Quote Quote  
  9. @ProWo: how accurate is the file size prediction for mpeg-2 in your tool? If I set for example 2000MB what output sizes should I expect?
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    @ProWo: how accurate is the file size prediction for mpeg-2 in your tool? If I set for example 2000MB what output sizes should I expect?
    @Selur
    It is a 1-pass coding, so of course it is not completely accurate.
    For your example I would expect a result of 1800-2000MB for a 90min video.
    Of course it depends partly on the video source.
    Quote Quote  
  11. @ProWo:
    Ah okay, 1pass so it's basically non reliable at all unless min&max are also limited.

For your example I would expect a result of 1800-2000MB for a 90min video.
    So ffmpeg at least won't do over the max average bit rate?

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    @ProWo:
    Ah okay, 1pass so it's basically non reliable at all unless min&max are also limited.
    So ffmpeg at least won't do over the max average bit rate?
    Cu Selur
    It is not expected.
    Quote Quote