VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I'm trying to add .ASS subtitles on a MKV/HEVC video. I used MKVToolNix to hardcode the subtitles without re-encoding as described here, but the output video came with subtitles as simple text, while the subtitles were originally formatted with colours and various alignments. Is there some settings in MKVToolNix to solve and have formatted subtitles hardcoded in the mkv video? P.S. I also used HandBrake and Avidemux, but there is a big qualty loss, as they re encode... How can I manage without losing quality? Thanks!
    Source: Subtitle/caption formats support
    Last edited by parvares; 15th May 2021 at 10:42.
    Quote Quote  
  2. meaning MKV container with embedded .ass subtitles with proper formatting (if this is possible), not harcoded subtitles.

What players have you tried your file with ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hardcoding Subs IS recoding the videostream.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    It's impossible to hardcode the subtitles without re-encoding.. since they're physically put into the image (forever).

Hardcoding subs is a very nasty 1 way only process that "destroys" the image forever.. I wouid NEVER use hard subs.

Soft subs can have styles, multiple color, effects (like karaoke or fade-in, fade-out), so there's really not a single reason to prefer hard-subs to soft-subs
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok, thanks, I can't hardcode the subtitle in my video without losing quality. So I'm trying to upload on YouTube my video with soft formatted captions (with colours and positioning). Captions are in Italian language and YouTube recommends Scenarist Closed Caption (.scc file extension) files for formatted subtitles, but I get this error:
    Code:
    The file contains errors on lines 15
    My file was a srt/UTF-8 converted to .scc using Subtitle Edit. How could I solve? Thank again!
    Last edited by parvares; 15th May 2021 at 13:50.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by krykmoon View Post
    It's impossible to hardcode the subtitles without re-encoding.. since they're physically put into the image (forever).

Hardcoding subs is a very nasty 1 way only process that "destroys" the image forever.. I wouid NEVER use hard subs.

Soft subs can have styles, multiple color, effects (like karaoke or fade-in, fade-out), so there's really not a single reason to prefer hard-subs to soft-subs
    There is one reason why to hard-sub: if the subs are required and soft-subbing isn't supported.

@parvares maybe try https://github.com/arcusmaximus/YTSubConverter, no idea if it helps.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by parvares View Post
    Code:
    The file contains errors on lines 15
    My file was an srt/UTF-8 converted to .scc using Subtitle Edit. How could I solve? Thank again!
    I think that without the subtitle file generated by Subtitle Edit (or at list the quote of this line 15) no one can give more information about the error.

I don't know this subtitle format at all..
    ..anyway a search in the (nice) software section of this forum gave me this alternative opensource subtitle software supporting scc

You may try to do the conversion with it.

https://subtitld.jonata.org
    Quote Quote  
  8. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    There is one reason why to hard-sub: if the subs are required and soft-subbing isn't supported.
    Yes, but since hardsubbing ruins definitely the source material.. it's NEVER a good solution (except for specific particular scenarios.. when you keep the original material and the hard-subbed version is only temporary or for a specific use).

On every PC you can use soft subs without issues.. and even if you have a specific device not supporting them I don't think it is a good idea at all to hard-sub every video only for this reason (better to buy another device supporting ASS and problem solved without damaging your videos forever)

Unfortunately also a lot of people using PC hardcode subs on the video file (without any valid reason to do it).
    Last edited by krykmoon; 15th May 2021 at 09:40.
    Quote Quote  
  9. @krykmoon, I used Subtitled, but it's buggy and didn't help me. @butterw YTSubConverter wasn't good as well. I don't know if it'is a software problem. YouTube says:

Scenarist Closed Caption (.scc file extension) files are our preferred file format. These files have an exact representation of CEA-608 data, which is the preferred format whenever captions are based on CEA-608 features.
    How could I know if my subtitles have CEA-608 data?
    Last edited by parvares; 15th May 2021 at 10:21.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by parvares View Post
    How could I know if my subtitles have CEA-608 data?
    I think it's irrelevant: since Subtitle Edit does the conversion to this format.. the data in your scc file should respect that format standard (if the conversion is done correctly, at least)

The error you got maybe it's because the conversion has not so correctly done by SE..

..anyway if you paste che content of that line (15) maybe someone can help you to understand what's wrong with that scc file.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Solved with a different extension, EBU STL (.stl)
    Last edited by parvares; 15th May 2021 at 15:13.
    Quote Quote