VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everybody,

My computer is Lenovo L380, Windows 10 and I would like to capture VHS tapes to digital.
    Could you recommend what is the best hardware and software for it, please? I was looking for it, but I still haven't found anything that convinces me.
    Budget 100€ maximum.

Thank you so much,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This question has been asked so many times. A glance at the first page of the sub-forum you posted this topic reveals several similar topics.

This one may not be so obvious:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/400584-Best-Lossless-USB-SD-Capture-Card

And essentially the question can not be answered to ultimate satisfaction. 'Best' is subjective and we reply on our own experiences with what we have - very few members will have several devices to compare and even then one will be 'better' for them than another. And more often than not a bad experience is down to user error.

So you will see 3 or 4 devices mentioned in that topic and that is about it - there were others and some have 'died' due to Win10 updates.

No need to pay for software. Both virtualdub and amarecTV are free.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    This question has been asked so many times. A glance at the first page of the sub-forum you posted this topic reveals several similar topics.

This one may not be so obvious:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/400584-Best-Lossless-USB-SD-Capture-Card

And essentially the question can not be answered to ultimate satisfaction. 'Best' is subjective and we reply on our own experiences with what we have - very few members will have several devices to compare and even then one will be 'better' for them than another. And more often than not a bad experience is down to user error.

So you will see 3 or 4 devices mentioned in that topic and that is about it - there were others and some have 'died' due to Win10 updates.

No need to pay for software. Both virtualdub and amarecTV are free.
    Thank you for your reply.
    I reviewed it, but I only saw: https://www.amazon.com/DATA-connection-video-capture-GV-USB2/dp/B00428BF1Y
    The shipping cost to Spain are so expensive... because it isn't in Spain warehouse.

I'd appreciate if you can recommend other devices, thank you so much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    U.S. to Spain will be expensive. But what about Amazon.de (Germany) - you can get the page(s) in English or even Amazon.uk

If you read the topic I linked to above you will note that I use a Hauppauge USB-Live2
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    U.S. to Spain will be expensive. But what about Amazon.de (Germany) - you can get the page(s) in English or even Amazon.uk

If you read the topic I linked to above you will note that I use a Hauppauge USB-Live2
    Yes, what do you think of using these two devices?
    https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B08DLK16X4/?tag=eleinst-21
    https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B08K43M3ZB/?tag=eleinst-21

Maybe it's a good alternative... but I don't know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not understand Spanish but neither of these are VHS capture devices.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But this is:

https://www.amazon.es/Hauppauge-WinTV-USB-live-2-Game-Capture-Capturadora/dp/B003Q2ZA3...89&sr=8-4&th=1

My only reservation is that the price is much less than it should be for this device which is the one I was referring to. So either it is old stock and you then download the appropriate drivers etc. or it is not what it appears to be.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I do not understand Spanish but neither of these are VHS capture devices.
    Yes, but my point here is... maybe the use of these two devices can result in good results in terms of converting VHS tapes to digital?
    I mean, instead of using a capture video, maybe these two device work better than one capture video.
    What do you think?

Regarding Hauppauge WinTV-USB-Live-2, do you use it in Windows 10? any problem? could you give me your feedback, please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Again. Neither of those devices will capture from VHS. The second one appears to capture from a web stream.

Be a little patient. I have posted in another recent topic which you may not have seen that discusses the suitability of the USB-Live2 and Win10. I hope to be able to provide you a purchase link possibly different to the one I supplied above from a user who obtained the device and is using it without issue (after some feedback) in Win10.

My current concern is the relative cheapness of the device from this source. I acquired mine many years ago and I certainly paid more than 39 euro (or the equivalent) back then. The current user is in France - not that far away from Spain - and if he got it locally then you could also get it from the same source. And France is even closer to Spain than Germany or The UK.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Again. Neither of those devices will capture from VHS. The second one appears to capture from a web stream.

Be a little patient. I have posted in another recent topic which you may not have seen that discusses the suitability of the USB-Live2 and Win10. I hope to be able to provide you a purchase link possibly different to the one I supplied above from a user who obtained the device and is using it without issue (after some feedback) in Win10.

My current concern is the relative cheapness of the device from this source. I acquired mine many years ago and I certainly paid more than 39 euro (or the equivalent) back then. The current user is in France - not that far away from Spain - and if he got it locally then you could also get it from the same source. And France is even closer to Spain than Germany or The UK.
    thank you.
    What do you think about this: https://www.amazon.es/AVERMEDIA-61C039XX00BH-Capturador-de-Video/dp/B01BWM9ZC8/ref=asc...60193290&psc=1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look. I told you I do not read Spanish so do not ask me about such products.

And by the way the picture does not seem to match the description of what much I do understand. And it is apparently not available for sale.

I will only reply again if and when I get a response from the French member who recently acquired a Hauppauge USB-Live2
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seems to be this one
    https://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-Definition-Composite-Cyberlink-C039/dp/B00603S1OS

Avermedia is reputable, price is reasonable, supports Windows 7 - 10
    Quote Quote  
  13. I am using an Hauppauge USB Live2 which I bought some years ago for about 45 USD as far as I remember.
    https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/webstore2/webstore_usblive2.html
    For VHS capturing I am using the setup: VCR player -> Pana EH50 in passthrough mode -> via S-Video to USB Live2. The S-video O/P of the Pana EH50 includes a comb filter which suppresses dotcrawl and rainbows coming out of the VCR's Composite signal.
    I am on Win10 and use AmarecTV or VirtualVCR as capturing SW with HuffYUV codec (lossless). For the proc amp settings I have to use GraphStudio because the proc amp settings of the capture SW are not effective (reset to default with every start, see other threads where this has been discussed in more detail). Typically I have to reduce the contrast and sometimes saturation a few steps (level range compliance, avoid clipping and crushing ....).
    Last edited by Sharc; 15th May 2021 at 03:51.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    I am using an Hauppauge USB Live2 which I bought some years ago for about 45 USD as far as I remember.
    For VHS capturing I am using the setup: VCR player -> Pana EH50 in passthrough mode -> via S-Video to USB Live2. The S-video O/P of the Pana EH50 includes a comb filter which suppresses dotcrawl and rainbows coming out of the VCR's Composite signal.
    I am on Win10 and use AmarecTV or VirtualVCR as capturing SW with HuffYUV codec (lossless). For the proc amp settings I have to use GraphStudio because the proc amp settings of the capture SW are not effective (reset to default with every start, see other threads where this has been discussed in more detail). Typically I have to reduce the contrast and sometimes saturation a few steps (level range compliance, avoid clipping and crushing ....).
    Do you recommend me buy it?
    I'd appreciate if you can tell me about your feedback
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Look. I told you I do not read Spanish so do not ask me about such products.

And by the way the picture does not seem to match the description of what much I do understand. And it is apparently not available for sale.

I will only reply again if and when I get a response from the French member who recently acquired a Hauppauge USB-Live2
    thank you
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by victormt View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    I am using an Hauppauge USB Live2 which I bought some years ago for about 45 USD as far as I remember.
    Do you recommend me buy it?
    I'd appreciate if you can tell me about your feedback
    I don't give buying recommendations.
    I am satisfied with the results I am getting. In any case you need quite some patience and collect your own experience. Otherwise better just go with a DVD recorder. You can find used ones these days which will fit your budget.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The most important elements for a good capture are the conditions of the tapes and the VCR.

I own a Hauppauge USB Live-2, and I am satisfied with the results as well. I used it directly connected via S-Video to a S-VHS VCR JVC HR-S9500MS (with line TBC), nothing else. I capture with AmarecTV on a laptop running Windows 10.

I posted some time ago a comparison of an analog capture and a dvb-s stream of the same program "dumped" few years later (you can consider it as a reference for my comparison):
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/400939-What-is-a-good-USB-Capture-Device-to-use-wi...ub#post2612427

Attached another one, with live action instead of puppets, always comparing an analog capture from a s-vhs tape and a dump of the dvb-s stream of the same program achieved some years later, when PC DVB-S card became available:
    compare_ufo_sIII11a_amtv_dvb-s-muxed.mp4

The s-vhs video is unprocessed raw capture in both cases.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hello,

Thank you all for your help.
    Now, I am thinking if the alternative of using a DVD recorder is better than a capture...
    I was reading : https://www.lifewire.com/copying-vhs-to-dvd-1846821 and it seems to be easy, but I'm not sure if the quality will be good.
    Do you have any experience with it?
    Last edited by victormt; 15th May 2021 at 12:22.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Lossless capture is superior in quality and leads to better results if you plan any restoration.

MPEG-2 real time compression quality loss may be acceptable:
    [Attachment 58913 - Click to enlarge]

Attached a comparison with the Hauppauge USB Live-2 in mpeg-2 at 10 Mbps (I never used a DVD recorder for capturing, only a Panasonic ES-10 for further cleaning of critical tapes, see jagabo post):
    compare-muxed.mp4
    Last edited by lollo; 15th May 2021 at 13:23.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Play also attention to the post of user "anachronon": he is esperiencing some troubles with tapes or camera/vcr players that are providing "illegal" Y levels out of 16-235 range, and tuning the proc amp to do not crush blacks/whites with the Hauppauge USB-Live 2. Follow his posts (and user "Sharc" and "jagabo" recommendations) ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So the member I assisted has now replied and this is the item he acquired from Amazon France:

https://www.amazon.fr/Hauppauge-Live-2-Carte-dacquisition-num%C3%A9rique/dp/B003Q2ZA36...1159006&sr=8-1

They ship to the UK so I expect them to ship to Spain as well.

Now compare the above to the one I linked to from your local Amazon. The one I was not happy with. Sure they look the same but the packaging differs. In fact this one claims to have Cyberlink software included. Hauppauge AFAIK NEVER include Cyberlink software. So my conclusion is that the listing is false.

You will now also have read from other members who also use a USB-Live2 without issue. So to confirm. This may not be the 'Best' but we all use it without issue.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    So the member I assisted has now replied and this is the item he acquired from Amazon France:

https://www.amazon.fr/Hauppauge-Live-2-Carte-dacquisition-num%C3%A9rique/dp/B003Q2ZA36...1159006&sr=8-1

They ship to the UK so I expect them to ship to Spain as well.

Now compare the above to the one I linked to from your local Amazon. The one I was not happy with. Sure they look the same but the packaging differs. In fact this one claims to have Cyberlink software included. Hauppauge AFAIK NEVER include Cyberlink software. So my conclusion is that the listing is false.

You will now also have read from other members who also use a USB-Live2 without issue. So to confirm. This may not be the 'Best' but we all use it without issue.
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by victormt View Post
    Hello everybody,

My computer is Lenovo L380, Windows 10 and I would like to capture VHS tapes to digital.
    Could you recommend what is the best hardware and software for it, please? I was looking for it, but I still haven't found anything that convinces me.
    Budget 100€ maximum.

Thank you so much,
    If you're looking for a more robust solution, you might want to check out some of the paid options, such as Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by victormt View Post
    Hello everybody,

Budget 100€ maximum.

Thank you so much,
    There are a number of options available online, with prices ranging from budget-friendly to high-end. As for software, several free options are available, such as OBS Studio and Windows Movie Maker. If you're interested in exploring XR/VR/AR software development, you might want to check out https://www.exposit.com/solutions/xr-vr-ar-software-development/. They offer a range of services for XR/VR/AR development, including app development, 3D modeling, and more.
    Last edited by JafarAnelka; 8th Apr 2023 at 04:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by EsthycuteEffiong View Post
    If you're looking for a more robust solution, you might want to check out some of the paid options, such as Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro.
    No. NLEs are known to be problematic for capturing. It's an editor, only use it to edit.

Using an NLE to capture is like trying to fry an egg in the toaster. Just because it's in the kitchen doesn't mean it's the proper tool. Same for video capture.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote