VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried everything. I have about 5 different versions of Plex, attempted to direct play from a hard drive - nothing. No .TS or .M2TS file I mux ever results in a playable 3D file. I am not interested in SBS or TB 3d, just there frame packed.

Any help appreciated.

-oleus
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's been a while since I dug into this, so things might have changed, though I doubt it since the consumer push for 3D has basically dried up. Here goes:

1. "Frame-packed" format is NOT any kind of real storage format. So, even though there are a few tutes about creating a frame-packed image format, there are AFAIK NO apps that internally recognize it as 3D, so there is no advantage to using this format. In fact, it is a disadvantage. The frame-packed spec is an HDMI transmission spec. Most apps that provide this output through HDMI do so in realtime, on-the-fly. Also, it's not just about the layout, it is about the 3D SEI signalling metadata, that makes it work. Often they take as their 3D source, the MVC format (stereo3D version of AVC codec). That is how Bluray3D works (M2TS files=base AVC layer, SSIF files=corresponding MVC enhanced/difference layer). If a player recognizes a format as 3D, once it decodes it it re-composites it according to the designated output/transmission format. That's where frame-packed is generated.

2. If you want to best retain full 3D res quality, keep it in MVC if you can. If not, SbS or TaB is probably preferrable because they are known, common variations that are widely supported. Personally, I suggest TaB over SbS, whether in full (2xframesize) mode or half (1xframesize, "squished") mode, because TaB retains more of the 3D difference info so the Z-depth layering is more finely graduated, and it is more friendly to codec rez limitations. However, SbS is even more common than TaB, and it works well for those who can cross/defocus their eyes (not the squished version, though).

3. You don't say what app(s) you are using other than Plex, or your equipment list or workflow, so it's quite hard to guess where you might be going wrong. What are your sources/where are they from?

If you are sending this from an HTPC via HDMI to a TV, start troubleshooting by using a known 3D file and something like Stereoscopic Player as a known 3D app. Substitute your own file and see if that works.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Scott - first, thank you for the reply.

As it stands now, Plex is all I use for video streaming, all locally from a hard drive/direct play. Between my two tv setups, I have 7 different versions of the PLEX app. I always figured the one inside my LG 3d OLED would have the best chance of playing it properly, but as of yet, no luck.

I think I understand most of what you are saying, re: the file isn't "3d" or flagged any differently than any other video file, it's just a matter of my TV/device recognizing it as frame packed 3d and triggering the 3d mode. I'm not interested at all in doing TB/SBS, just retaining the original 3d and playing it.

I believe I am doing something wrong with TS Muxer, because I've read several reports (usually old posts) of my specific TV streaming 3d from Plex when sent the right signal.

I think I can play SBS/TB muxed files with my Apple TV, as that is how it plays 3d from sources like VUDU. The VUDU app in my LG OLED plays frame-packed from VUDU.

If I understand you correctly, the 3d SEI metadata might be my roadblock? I've just been taking what I rip to MKV and putting it into TS muxer with the two video files in there. I've tried it with the layer labeled as "3d" on top and on bottom in the file list. I always end up with a .ts file that either plays in 2d, or not at all (depending on the app I'm using, how I made the file, etc).

I definitely have a learning curve with this and I feel like I'm close....I can take screenshots of how my TSMUXER setup is in an hour or so.

Again, thank you for your help. I mainly want to archive my 3d discs just in case, since it is a relatively dead format (for now).

-Sean
    Quote Quote