VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Working in Arabic, almost done with a many, many hours subtitle project and suddenly all the characters are question marks. ???????????????????????
    Other Arabic projects open just fine. What did I do wrong?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	QuestionMarks.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	58836  

Quote Quote  
  2. Open your sub with notepad++ and change the encoding language.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you ProWo for the help. One question: change to which encoding language? There are dozens on notepad++. I tried UTF-8 and ANSI with no change in the result.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like your sub got borked,did you make any backups and is there an undo option and is the sub saved?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Have you looked in %appdata%\Aigisub\autoback ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Open your sub with notepad++ and change the encoding language.
    But in notepad++ do you still see the arabic characters or only question marks ?

If you see only question marks in notepad++ too.. at some stage the character encoding got messed up and so the original text is lost. If this is the case.. trying to find a backup, as videobruger suggested, is your only option.

(anyway.. why still using aegisub ? It has not been updated in many years. I suggest to you, as an alternative, KaiNote - I'm using it for some months, now, and it's really a wonderful tool.)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Chris Allinger View Post
    Thank you ProWo for the help. One question: change to which encoding language? There are dozens on notepad++. I tried UTF-8 and ANSI with no change in the result.
    Upload your subtitle file here, then we can have a look at it.
    Last edited by ProWo; 17th May 2021 at 05:01.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you all very much for your offers of help. I have spent many many many hours on this project. It was almost done when the problem happened. I had a backup from a couple days before but it has the same problem which totally baffles me. yes, in Notepad++ it is also opens as all question marks. I will try to upload the file here if anyone can take a look at it. Thanks again!Image
    [Attachment 58966 - Click to enlarge]

did I do it right? I selected "upload Image" from the toolbar.
    Quote Quote  
  9. ok, I think I found the right way to do it.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Only way you can recover your sub is with a backup but since that has the same issue you are out of luck.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chris Allinger View Post
    yes, in Notepad++ it is also opens as all question marks.
    Sadly.. this means the original text is forever lost due to some problems (at some stage) with character encoding got messed up.

You have to start from scratch.

I would use a most recent software than aegisub this time, like the one I suggested.. KaiNote (it's awesome!)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thank you for your great help. I will just have to re-do. At least I can quit trying to fix it and move on. Thanks again. I will try KaiNote.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can also try subtitle edit,been using that for years.
    Quote Quote