VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've tested this using the latest versions of Firefox and Pale Moon that'll run on XP.
    Later on I can get my old laptop back to test a newer browser running on Win7 if need be.

When I first submit a post with an image as an attachment (using the "upload image" button above the text area) I see the expected result. Edit: I just realised that's not correct. They only appear this way after submitting the post, editing it, and saving the changes, and only until the page is refreshed.

[Attachment 58823 - Click to enlarge]

It changes after refreshing the page however, and then always displays the following way. The tooltip also stops working as before.

[Attachment 58824 - Click to enlarge]

Do images appear the same way for anyone else, or is it just me and XP?
    Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Personally, I'd recommend using an image-hosting site and linking images into a post through the [img][/img] tags over adding them to a post as attachments. It always seems to give me grief every so often.

What version of Pale Moon are you using? If it's the last official build that worked on XP/Vista, there's someone who's been putting together builds of Pale Moon (under the name "New Moon," I believe) for XP. You might try those if you want to see whether or not a newer version of the browser might solve the problem.

My Browser Builds (Part 3) - Windows XP - MSFN
    RT's Free Soft: browser
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks.

I'm actually using New Moon but I said Pale Moon because I thought most people would be unfamiliar with New Moon.
    Checking..... the version number is 28.30a1, dated 2019-01-04. I'm not actually sure if a newer version of New Moon was ever released. I guess I should check.
    Well I'm confused now as the latest New Moon appears to be 28.1.0
    http://matejhorvat.si/en/unfiled/pmxp/index.htm
    Although maybe it should be 28.10
    One of your links: https://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser/
    so I don't know whether I'm quoiting Pale Moon or New Moon version numbers, but I clicked on a link and found Mypal.
    https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal
    The current version is 29.2.0 and only released 7 days ago, so it looks like I'll be taking it out for a spin..... and then no doubt getting depressed because a favourite add-on or three no longer works. I really, really hate upgrading.....

Cheers.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 12th May 2021 at 00:43.
    Quote Quote  
  4. So far so good.
    I made a copy of my New Moon profile folder, edited the Mypal profile ini file to point it in that direction, and so far I haven't discovered any add-on breakages and everything looks the same.

Mega won't play nice, but it wouldn't talk to New Moon either and I've tried changing the User Agent Mode. I don't care about Mega, I just happened to have a tab already open to the site when I switched to Mypal.

Images at video help still display as before.

I can use an image upload site if need be, but as a rule I prefer a lazy option....

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration to check the browser version. Hopefully Mypal will be a keeper.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 12th May 2021 at 00:45.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    Personally, I'd recommend using an image-hosting site and linking images into a post through the [img][/img] tags over adding them to a post as attachments. It always seems to give me grief every so often.
    I recommend using the Test subforum of Videohelp instead of an image-hosting service.

This site belongs to Baldrick, not to DoomArchieLópez9.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  6. El Heggunte,
    I know I'm easily confused, but are you referring to uploading images in the test forum and linking to them as required in other posts at VideoHelp or are we referring to different things?

Edit: I added a png image to this post to see if for some reason it'll display as it should and the problem could therefore be related to the type of image, but it displays as expected then it doesn't, as jpeg images were earlier.

[Attachment 58835 - Click to enlarge]

El Heggunte,
    I was looking at your post here and the images are displaying as they should. So there's something happening to the images I'm uploading, rather than it being a general problem, I assume. Mmm.....
    Last edited by hello_hello; 12th May 2021 at 11:29.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Image
    [Attachment 58837 - Click to enlarge]

Everything works perfect with FIrefox!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videohelptest View Post

Everything works perfect with FIrefox!
    Yes of course.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    I recommend using the Test subforum of Videohelp instead of an image-hosting service.

...I'm not sure I understand the reference.

I've always (over the years) had oddball problems with images-as-attachments on forum posts, and just like the way inline images look 'cleaner.' That's just me, though.

Baldrick: I'm using the latest Firefox on Linux here (alternate-boot on one of my Windows towers), and all of the attached images in this thread have the "Image" tooltip for me.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post

[Attachment 58824 - Click to enlarge]

Do images appear the same way for anyone else, or is it just me and XP?
    Cheers.
    It has looked like that for 10 years. I'm just happy that image uploading works in this VERY VERY VERY old forum.

I will probably never upgrade the forum. Just way too much work.
    Quote Quote  
  11. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post

...I'm not sure I understand the reference.
    As hello_hello already said:

Originally Posted by hello_hello
    I know I'm easily confused, but are you referring to uploading images in the test forum and linking to them as required in other posts at VideoHelp
    By the way, it was vhelp who taught us the trick several years ago
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by videohelptest View Post

Everything works perfect with Firefox!
    Is that sarcasm or are we seeing different things?

Last edited by hello_hello; 13th May 2021 at 02:53.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

It has looked like that for 10 years. I'm just happy that image uploading works in this VERY VERY VERY old forum.

My memory must be terrible.

Fair enough ... but didn't you fix the "upload image" function not so long ago after it had been broken for quite a while?
    I could be remembering wrong, but I'm sure the way images displayed was fine for a while after you fixed whatever you fixed.
    Not to worry though.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

My memory must be terrible.

Fair enough ... but didn't you fix the "upload image" function not so long ago after it had been broken for quite a while?
    I could be remembering wrong, but I'm sure the way images displayed was fine for a while after you fixed whatever you fixed.
    Not to worry though.

Cheers.
    Maybe not 10 years. But it feels like it. I fixed something when flash no longer was used in most browsers.
    Quote Quote