VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I just bought a fairly obscure show that I absolutely love on blu-ray as a company just localized it here, It was originally in 4:3 aspect ratio and I'm a bit of a crt purist, I think basically all 4:3 content looks far better on my crt (the show is 480p) however as it's a blu-ray it seems to actually be in 16:9 aspect ratio with black bars coded in or something so attempting to play it on my crt puts it into a windowbox with black bars on all sides. Is there any way in the world to fix this? As this is the only release the show will get here, I will go so far as to edit the actual files on the disc if that's possible. Edit: Is there any blu-ray player that has a zoom function or something similar? The crt is a little too old to have one but I think that could fix the problem as well.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You must crop the vertical bars and recode with 4:3 aspect ratio. This way you'll get a full screen picture on you crt. If you post a mediainfo report of your mivie here we can help you further.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You must crop the vertical bars and recode with 4:3 aspect ratio. This way you'll get a full screen picture on you crt. If you post a mediainfo report of your mivie here we can help you further.
    So the disc actually can be altered?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope,you will need to extract the video and re-encode it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Nope,you will need to extract the video and re-encode it.
    If I were to buy a blu-ray player with a zoom feature would I lose some quality by using it? Theoretically it should fill the screen perfectly since the aspect ratio is still 4:3 just smaller.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!