Page 4 of 9
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    In case you're interested, I'm using a hub like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2ZS1B5/

Along with a power supply like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081GYSPVM/

It's important to use a Power Delivery hub because the Chromcast only has one port for power and I/O. The power supply powers the hub, and the hub powers the chromecast (that's what the Power Delivery nomenclature refers to) and provides all the I/O ports.

You could connect your USB hard drive directly to the Chromecast, for example. You might need a more powerful power supply to do that if your drive gets its power from the USB port. 25 watts may not be enough to drive the hub, the chromecast, and the hard drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8CcVqUW72g

Of course, if you only wanted Ethernet you could buy the adapter from google:

https://store.google.com/us/product/chromecast_ethernet_adapter_gen_2?hl=en-US
    Ok I appreCiate all the help. What do I need another power supply for? It does not look any different than the one provided or the ones I have laying around the house for my phones.

I understand the hub/ethernet. I am getting 60mb/s on the Chromecast and my pc which is right next to router. I doubt I can get higher with a direct connection since I currently only paying for 50 mbs and am getting a little more on both chromecast and pc. So I don't think Ethernet cable is going to make a difference especially since that would involve running an ethernet cable down the halls and downstairs to tv with Chromecast.

Comcast just informed me for $10 more I can get 400 mb/s . i guess that's nice.
    Last edited by forsure; 17th May 2021 at 07:30.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    What do I need another power supply for? It does not look any different than the one provided or the ones I have laying around the house for my phones.
    The power supply that comes with the Chromecast (10 watts, if I remember correctly) can only supply enough power to run the Chromecast. If you want to use a USB hub and run other devices off it (keyboard, mouse, external drives, flash drives, etc.) you will need more power for the hub and all those devices. And since the Chromecast has only one USB connection the hub has to provide power to the Chromecast over that connection as well as I/O.

Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    I understand the hub/ethernet. I am getting 60mb/s on the Chromecast and my pc which is right next to router. I doubt I can get higher with a direct connection since I currently only paying for 50 mbs and am getting a little more on both chromecast and pc. So I don't think Ethernet cable is going to make a difference especially since that would involve running an ethernet cable down the halls and downstairs to tv with Chromecast.
    Your internet speed is only relevant to internet traffic. Traffic within your local network is independent of that. I have a 60 Mb/s internet connection but most of the computers/devices in the house are connected with Gigabit Ethernet. I also have a WiFi access point set up for a few wireless devices in the house (phones, laptop). So the Chromecast communicates with my NAS at Gigabit speeds. But streaming from Netflix is limited to the 60 Mb/s of my internet connection (and that 60 Mb/s is shared by all devices in the house accessing the internet). If the Chromecast was connected via WiFi rather than Ethernet all it's traffic would be limited by my WiFi speed (around 30 Mb/s given the location of the Chromecast and the access point, and the WiFi speed is shared by other devices using WiFi).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    What do I need another power supply for? It does not look any different than the one provided or the ones I have laying around the house for my phones.
    The power supply that comes with the Chromecast (10 watts, if I remember correctly) can only supply enough power to run the Chromecast. If you want to use a USB hub and run other devices off it (keyboard, mouse, external drives, flash drives, etc.) you will need more power for the hub and all those devices. And since the Chromecast has only one USB connection the hub has to provide power to the Chromecast over that connection as well as I/O.

Your internet speed is only relevant to internet traffic. Traffic within your local network is independent of that. I have a 60 Mb/s internet connection but most of the computers/devices in the house are connected with Gigabit Ethernet. I also have a WiFi access point set up for a few wireless devices in the house (phones, laptop). So the Chromecast communicates with my NAS at Gigabit speeds. But streaming from Netflix is limited to the 60 Mb/s of my internet connection (and that 60 Mb/s is shared by all devices in the house accessing the internet). If the Chromecast was connected via WiFi rather than Ethernet all it's traffic would be limited by my WiFi speed (around 30 Mb/s given the location of the Chromecast and the access point, and the WiFi speed is shared by other devices using WiFi).

LIKE I SAID THERE WAS NO PROBLEM BEFORE AND NO PROBLEM NOW WITH 400 MB/S. sorry for the caps.

Where do you get a gigabit ethernet from if your ISP is offering 60 mb/s?
    Last edited by forsure; 17th May 2021 at 09:29.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Devices in the house can communicate with each other at Gigabit speeds because they are connected to a Gigabit LAN. Only internet traffic is limited to 60 Mb/s by the ISP.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Devices in the house can communicate with each other at Gigabit speeds because they are connected to a Gigabit LAN. Only internet traffic is limited to 60 Mb/s by the ISP.
    I see. So I am getting gigabit speed anyways at 400 mb/s wi -fi. I just updated. I can't run a wire to router from chromecast.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I was just giving you options for the Chromecast. A hub lets you attach many use things to it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I am getting gigabit speed anyways at 400 mb/s wi -fi.
    400 Mb/s is sufficient for streaming your 4K files but it is not the same as gigabit speed. Technically speaking, Gigabit speed is 1000 Mb/s.

[Edit]The Chromecast with Google TV's 5GHz WiFi connection has a maximum connection speed of 433 Mb/s. If you were to need more than that for something (I can't give an example for what would), then you would have to use Ethernet.

[Edit 2]I should have checked what the Ethernet adapter for Chromecast with Google TV allows before posting. 5GHz WiFi is probably the fastest connection. The Ethernet adapter only offers a 10/100 Mb/s connection.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th May 2021 at 12:59.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I was just giving you options for the Chromecast. A hub lets you attach many use things to it.

I am sure u r the G_D of all things tech, but your wire that you said I did not need, did not work. I should know better than to order wires off Amazon. I am like 2/5 of working wires off Amazon. Its working, fine > With 400 mb/s that I will not have till Friday I should be able to stream my BD or remux with no problem right?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I thought you were already streaming fine -- since you moved your router and Chromecast. 400 Mb/s what? Internet access? WiFi?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I thought you were already streaming fine -- since you moved your router and Chromecast. 400 Mb/s what? Internet access? WiFi?
    Yes I was streaming fine at 60 mb/s. I called Xfinity and they told me current promotion is canceling in July or pay $204 - promotion amount of $26 which has amounted to $177 current bill or change to newplan promotion BS but GOOD , AND GET 400 MB/S FOR $186. We will see Friday when the tech comes.

I did not move Chromecast, was going to but extender did not work nor needed, working fine except for BD/REmux
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    400 Mb/s is sufficient for streaming your 4K files but it is not the same as gigabit speed. Technically speaking, Gigabit speed is 1000 Mb/s.

[Edit]The Chromecast with Google TV's 5GHz WiFi connection has a maximum connection speed of 433 Mb/s. If you were to need more than that for something (I can't give an example for what would), then you would have to use Ethernet.

[Edit 2]I should have checked what the Ethernet adapter for Chromecast with Google TV allows before posting. 5GHz WiFi is probably the fastest connection. The Ethernet adapter only offers a 10/100 Mb/s connection.
    I thought u said u were getting 330 mb/s. Now u r getting a 1k mb/s. Sure I'll take an example of what I need 600 mb/s more for?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

I thought u said u were getting 330 mb/s. Now u r getting a 1k mb/s. Sure I'll take an example of what I need 600 mb/s more for?
    I don't know where the 330 mb/s in your post came from. I never measured the WiFi connection speed that my Chromecast with Google TV actually achieves. I saw a post on reddit stating that the maximum possible wifi speed for the Chromecast's 5Ghz connection is 430 Mb/s. See 2nd post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/lpfgj8/google_chromecast_with_google_...hz_wifi_speed/

I wrote that I couldn't give you an example of something that would need more speed. ...but since the best network connection available from the Chromecast with Google TV maxes out at 430 Mb/s it's a moot point anyway.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd May 2021 at 10:28. Reason: Corrected typo
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Transport streams have more overhead than MKV files so remuxing them to MKV will reduce the overall bitrate a bit but usually not enough to make a difference in streaming.

It sounds like moving your WiFi router has done the trick. I'm using wired Gigabit Ethernet along with a USB PD hub -- and get about 330 Mb/s.
    well wippity do dah..u were great, see yah on the next one, let me know when u want to hook me up with langsi speed
    It says you said you were getting 330, now u say your lan gets 1k?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Transport streams have more overhead than MKV files so remuxing them to MKV will reduce the overall bitrate a bit but usually not enough to make a difference in streaming.

It sounds like moving your WiFi router has done the trick. I'm using wired Gigabit Ethernet along with a USB PD hub -- and get about 330 Mb/s.
    well wippity do dah..u were great, see yah on the next one, let me know when u want to hook me up with langsi speed
    It says you said you were getting 330, now u say your lan gets 1k?
    The post you quoted above says jagabo was getting a 330 Mb/s on his Ethernet connection to his Chromecast with Google TV using his USB C hub's Ethernet port. I'm usually_quiet and I don't have my Chromecast connected via ethernet.

Gigabit LAN refers to the maximum speed supported by Ethernet out from the router controlling the network, not the maximum speed that the devices connected to the network support. The connected devices have their own hardware limitations which determine the maximum possible connection speed for them.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th May 2021 at 17:13.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yes, I measured network throughput with iperf3. 940 Mb/s from Windows computer to Windows Computer. 330 Mb/s from Windows computer to Chromecast. It's common for inexpensive ARM based device not to be able to keep up with Gb Ethernet.

Internet Speed Test is designed to test internet speed, not LAN speed. But when the LAN is slower than the internet it will show you the LAN speed (it doesn't know where the bottleneck is). I originally suggested the use of Internet Speed Test on the Chromecast because I guessed that the Wifi connection was slower than his internet -- which turned out to be the case.
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th May 2021 at 18:46.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Whichever the case this thing is awesome for $50. Now what to do about the receiver. Anybody got a Denon 3700 or 4700 for sale? Kind of kidding. I am so tired of the receiver market. Sound United is that a cult?
    Last edited by forsure; 17th May 2021 at 20:21.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, I measured network throughput with iperf3. 940 Mb/s from Windows computer to Windows Computer. 330 Mb/s from Windows computer to Chromecast. It's common for inexpensive ARM based device not to be able to keep up with Gb Ethernet.

Internet Speed Test is designed to test internet speed, not LAN speed. But when the LAN is slower than the internet it will show you the LAN speed (it doesn't know where the bottleneck is). I originally suggested the use of Internet Speed Test on the Chromecast because I guessed that the Wifi connection was slower than his internet -- which turned out to be the case.
    New Subject- I just crashed my free 1tb hard drive, found some great software and transferred all my files successfully to new 8tb external usb HDD. My 1tb has been reformatted. It seemed to crash (it was not in the red, but almost) because of Windows restarting automatically because I changed my power settings. I also noticed when I restarted my computer that it would not fully boot with 1tb usb/ no power cable still connected by usb. I have been making sure I eject before restarting pc with new 8tb, but I do believe I restarted with no effect to drive and no problem with Windows restart on 1 time. Is there a rule of thumb to restarting and maintaining an external hd with a power supply?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Windows should properly flush all external drives when shutting down. I suppose it's possible that some drives don't respond correctly though. If the computer is running always "eject" external drives before disconnecting them.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Windows should properly flush all external drives when shutting down. I suppose it's possible that some drives don't respond correctly though. If the computer is running always "eject" external drives before disconnecting them.
    Good to know. Hence the reason it probably crashed. That does scare me though bc it's the same kind of drive that my windows came with. If it reformatted ok, is it good? I would never trust it, should I throw it in the lake?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I am wondering if by using power connected directly to the wall it can cause an issue. Today was the first time I noticed. I started CGTV the same way as always and it said no signal. I disconnected it from the wall and replugged and all was good. Is this on my end or a known issue, or am I just overlooking something? Any similar experience?
    Quote Quote  
  21. It sounds to me like it just needed a reboot. It's a small computer after all.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It sounds to me like it just needed a reboot. It's a small computer after all.
    Gotcha, that's what I was hoping. Bc I do remember it happening a few times now.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I have my Chromecast powered by a power strip that automatically shuts off power when the TV is turned off. So it's freshly booted every time the TV is turned on. The disadvantage is that it takes about 1 minute to boot.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I have my Chromecast powered by a power strip that automatically shuts off power when the TV is turned off. So it's freshly booted every time the TV is turned on. The disadvantage is that it takes about 1 minute to boot.
    So you don't have to toggle the switch on the power strip? I thought about plugging it into the power strip. Just thought with all u said about it's minimal power, it would be best in wall. I like the remote, so I can just turn off the TV, but I guess unless I stop the movie, it's still using bandwidth, if it's not on?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    I have my Chromecast powered by a power strip that automatically shuts off power when the TV is turned off. So it's freshly booted every time the TV is turned on. The disadvantage is that it takes about 1 minute to boot.
    So you don't have to toggle the switch on the power strip?
    The power strip senses when a master device is on by how much power is being consumed. It the automatically switches the power at the slave outlets based on that. I have the TV is connected to the master outlet, the Chromecast into one of the slave outlets. Here's one example of such a power strip:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Advance-Outlet-Protector-Spaced/dp/B08LSXXG7R/

One thing to be aware of is that there must be enough difference in power draw between when the master device is off vs. on. Some power strips have a means of adjusting the threshold at which they switch -- a low/medium/high switch, a little screw pot, etc. But very low power devices can't be used as masters because the switch won't be able to tell if the device is off or on.

I like the remote, so I can just turn off the TV, but I guess unless I stop the movie, it's still using bandwidth, if it's not on?
    Yes, the Chromecast may continue streaming even when the TV is off. That's why I use the automatic power strip. I don't want the Chromecast to continue sucking up internet bandwidth all night because I forgot to stop streaming before the switching the TV off.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    So you don't have to toggle the switch on the power strip?
    The power strip senses when a master device is on by how much power is being consumed. It the automatically switches the power at the slave outlets based on that. I have the TV is connected to the master outlet, the Chromecast into one of the slave outlets. Here's one example of such a power strip:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Advance-Outlet-Protector-Spaced/dp/B08LSXXG7R/

One thing to be aware of is that there must be enough difference in power draw between when the master device is off vs. on. Some power strips have a means of adjusting the threshold at which they switch -- a low/medium/high switch, a little screw pot, etc. But very low power devices can't be used as masters because the switch won't be able to tell if the device is off or on.

I like the remote, so I can just turn off the TV, but I guess unless I stop the movie, it's still using bandwidth, if it's not on?
    Yes, the Chromecast may continue streaming even when the TV is off. That's why I use the automatic power strip. I don't want the Chromecast to continue sucking up internet bandwidth all night because I forgot to stop streaming before the switching the TV off.
    That's pretty cool,. for a power strip at $7, didn't know that was possible. So when you turn the tv on by remote, it turns on the power strip toggle? I just had to reboot the CGTV again. It was not doing that before. Could it be from network traffic? Not that big of a deal to restart, just wondering why now and what's causing it to lose signal (hdmi or power). Just watched a 480p movie(The Lords of Discipline, love this movie) anyways looks pretty good on a 4k tv. Almost in some parts can't tell the difference.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Yes, when the TV is switched on the power strip senses it and switches on the other plugs. The Chromecast boots up and the external powered speakers come on.

I think I've only seen my Chromecast lock up once in the last six months (other than a few times while playing a corrupt video file). I suspect your problem might have something to do with the WiFi.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, when the TV is switched on the power strip senses it and switches on the other plugs. The Chromecast boots up and the external powered speakers come on.

I think I've only seen my Chromecast lock up once in the last six months (other than a few times while playing a corrupt video file). I suspect your problem might have something to do with the WiFi.
    Well I will save this in case I need a power strip. I am really hesitant of buying tech stuff from Amazon. The one you suggested got reviews of intermittent consistency. It does not lock up, it's just when first toggling to Chromecast using the input selection on CGTV remote it will say sometimes "no signal' which forces the unplug of usb. You may be right about the wi fi, bc I am dl ing at the moment. My tv boots up to cable, in can be set to boot to any HDMI connection via the tv remote. What does "close" refer to on the top of list, bc when waiting a couple of seconds like all other choices in input selection, it does not do anything? All other selection's work via CGTV remote.
    Last edited by forsure; 20th May 2021 at 15:02.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, when the TV is switched on the power strip senses it and switches on the other plugs. The Chromecast boots up and the external powered speakers come on.

I restarted my pc cause my program locked up, and then everything was at a whole lot faster speeds when pc restarts. i am not too familiar with wi fi with multiple services. Am i better off with pc straight to router. That's within reach. I suspect the Xfinity guy might have an extra ethernet cable. If you suggest it would make a substantial difference to pull up the carpet again to run a 6 ft cable?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

I am having more problems with Chromecast and wi fi. i just got upgraded to 400 mb/s. I am getting about 160 mb/s off Chromecast. Nothing is playing right, even 1080p files. They are all locking up. Is Chromecast having trouble with my new router/ wi fi?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!