VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I copied a 4k file to my c: drive and it would not play in VLC like the 1080p file did easily. It would not recognize it as an icon, just a white piece of paper. In Kodi it would not find the 2160p file at all. I was able to add UPnP to KODI to see my shared media. However it did not see the other 2160p file and neither player will see my external hdd
    Quote Quote  
  2. When trying to add a path with KOdi, it says to add network path of "server". Does that matter if you are not using one? This is for option add Windows SMB.

Now I reinstalled KODI and it will not find my UPnP like it did before.

Do I add it once for server and once for folder. It did not connect with either or.

I was able to get KODI to recognise Windows SMB. I enabled Click on Turn Windows features on or off link.
    Expand the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support option.
    Check the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client option.

It said this may take a while and is at 0% for past 10 minutes. My shared drive is 2/8 tb used. So if nothing by morning. At least it sees it!!!!
    Last edited by forsure; 15th May 2021 at 16:18.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Client/server is just terminology here. A server is a device that's making files available. A client is a device that accesses them. Here your desktop PC is acting as a server, the chromecast is acting as a client.

In VLC, make sure you're accessing the files with Browsing -> Local Network.

It sounds like Kodi has been able to access your PC and its shared folder. Then you started adding files to its local database. Its now scanning the files and scrubbing the internet for thumbnails and descriptions. Yes, that can take quite a while when you have lots of files. How well it works can depend on how your files are organized and named.

You should be able to browse and play the files Videos -> Files -> servername -> sharename (equivalent to using Explorer in Windows) even before it's finished building the database.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Client/server is just terminology here. A server is a device that's making files available. A client is a device that accesses them. Here your desktop PC is acting as a server, the chromecast is acting as a client.

In VLC, make sure you're accessing the files with Browsing -> Local Network.

It sounds like Kodi has been able to access your PC and its shared folder. Then you started adding files to its local database. Its now scanning the files and scrubbing the internet for thumbnails and descriptions. Yes, that can take quite a while when you have lots of files. How well it works can depend on how your files are organized and named.

You should be able to browse and play the files Videos -> Files -> servername -> sharename (equivalent to using Explorer in Windows) even before it's finished building the database.
    I don't know it's been at 0% for over an hour. It does not look like it sees anything. It says 0/0 files. It says compressing at 0% , that is only if I reset update library, other than that it does not tell me anything. My files are in alphabetical order and grouped by date. When it found the SMD it just went to a directory with nothing in it (folders) and has sat on that screen since it "flashed" this may take a while.???? I don't know where to use WExplorer if there is 0/0 to search?
    Quote Quote  
  5. How well it works can depend on how your files are organized and named.
    Does it matter if most are not in folders? I am sharing 2-3 tb on wifi with now at 58mbs. Yes it has doubled since we last spoke. Same bill though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't think it's working. When Kodi is scrubbing it normally shows a status line (unless you disabled it) at the top right of the screen indicating which folder it's working on.

When I first set up a Windows 10 pc as a NAS I had trouble accessing it from some devices older devices. In the end, I had to enable SMB1 on Win10. I don't think that's the issue here since the Chromecast supports SMB 1, 2, and 3. but it's worth a try:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/detec...le-smbv1-v2-v3
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't think it's working. When Kodi is scrubbing it normally shows a status line (unless you disabled it) at the top right of the screen indicating which folder it's working on.

When I first set up a Windows 10 pc as a NAS I had trouble accessing it from some devices older devices. In the end, I had to enable SMB1 on Win10. I don't think that's the issue here since the Chromecast supports SMB 1, 2, and 3. but it's worth a try:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/detec...le-smbv1-v2-v3
    I just enabled it for it to recognize it? So at least it is doing something. It was disabled when it did not recognize it. I think it could be the 1.9 update? Do you have 1.8?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I just reset and setup an old Android TV device I had sitting on a shelf. To access videos in Kodi all I had to do was go to Videos -> Files -> Add Videos. Then manually enter smb://servername/sharename (use your server and share name) and select OK. It asked for a username and password -- use the username and password you use in Windows. After that it allows you to scrub for metadata or not. And then you can access files via Videos -> Files -> sharename. Alternatively, you can add smb://servername only. Then you can select all the shares on that server with Videos -> Files -> servername.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I just reset and setup an old Android TV device I had sitting on a shelf. To access videos in Kodi all I had to do was go to Videos -> Files -> Add Videos. Then manually enter smb://servername/sharename (use your server and share name) and select OK. It asked for a username and password -- use the username and password you use in Windows. After that it allows you to scrub for metadata or not. And then you can access files via Videos -> Files -> sharename. Alternatively, you can add smb://servername only. Then you can select all the shares on that server with Videos -> Files -> servername.
    What KODI version do you have? I don't see it like that.. It asked me for server address (like an ip number and path? Ok I will try to manually add.

I typed smb://Desktop-Ujvqsun/f

I don't hit ok until after I entered username/pass. It said incorrect parameters. I think you have older version. I am trying to install older version, it wont download the add on for Downloader app to search internet to dl old version on CGTV.

Ok was able to install older version. it loads the same way. Add network/ server address/ server path/ user name/password. I typed 10.0.0.208 in first field, smb...in server path and it said "invalid argument"

Now I am getting error connection timed out I changed my server address to mac address rather than ipv4 address. I can send you a photo of what mine looks like if yours looks different.
    Last edited by forsure; 15th May 2021 at 20:16.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I just reset and setup an old Android TV device I had sitting on a shelf. To access videos in Kodi all I had to do was go to Videos -> Files -> Add Videos. Then manually enter smb://servername/sharename (use your server and share name) and select OK. It asked for a username and password -- use the username and password you use in Windows. After that it allows you to scrub for metadata or not. And then you can access files via Videos -> Files -> sharename. Alternatively, you can add smb://servername only. Then you can select all the shares on that server with Videos -> Files -> servername.
    This is what I see it asks for server name and then server path or shared folder, then user name and password. Dont you have to enter an address for server name. It just told me a different error message ( i forgot) on the new ip address used? Which numbers do I use if I have to according to this? How many times do I type in smb:// in 1st column or second or both?Image
    [Attachment 58938 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 58939 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by forsure; 15th May 2021 at 20:58.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Here's what I get after Videos -> Files -> Add Videos:

[Attachment 58940 - Click to enlarge]

I'm pretty sure after pressing OK on that dialog I get the username/password dialog. It didn't ask here because it remembers the username/password from accessing the server earlier. After pressing OK I get:

[Attachment 58941 - Click to enlarge]

If you leave it at This Directory Contains -- None it will not look for metadata when you press OK (and it will not take long to complete). Then back at Videos -> Files... you get:

[Attachment 58942 - Click to enlarge]

And from there you can browse the share.

These photos were of from the old Android TV device and an old version of Kodi. But the dialogs haven't changed much, if at all.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Here's what I get after Videos -> Files -> Add Videos:

[Attachment 58940 - Click to enlarge]

I'm pretty sure after pressing OK on that dialog I get the username/password dialog. It didn't ask here because it remembers the username/password from accessing the server earlier. After pressing OK I get:

[Attachment 58941 - Click to enlarge]

If you leave it at This Directory Contains -- None it will not look for metadata when you press OK (and it will not take long to complete). Then back at Videos -> Files... you get:

[Attachment 58942 - Click to enlarge]

And from there you can browse the share.

These photos were of from the old Android TV device and an old version of Kodi. But the dialogs haven't changed much, if at all.
    I can not get that far with assigned folder only empty folder , remember it said that screen with content for movie info, it did not ask for password, flashed screen about will take a while and did nothing, so it must not be connected to any drive to, it does not show progress bar in right corner only clock. It does not display path info after smb://. Don't you see where it asks me for server name and shared folder, that is the only way to manually add and then it asks for user name / password. I can see shared folder, but there is nothing in there and no continued path just smb://

Ok I added the path from the choice that says windows smb rather than add network, and still got error message. I got error operation not permitted. The path was in selection of add windows (SMB)rather than add network. It was typed as path is in shared folder except for smb:// DESKTOP-UJVQSUN/2160P OR I have used the drive "/f" instead of folder (2160p). It still will not take it. This has been all day headache. not easy at all.
    Last edited by forsure; 15th May 2021 at 21:40.
    Quote Quote  
  13. It was easy for me. I was up and running in a few minutes when I first installed the Chromecast. And earlier today it was the same on the old Android TV after resetting it to factory defaults. Of course, I've been using Windows networking for 20+ years.

I recommend you reset your Chromecast to factory defaults and start all over. When you get to the Add Video Source dialog don't browse the network. Just enter smb://servername/sharename string in the big list box (as in my first image), and press OK.
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th May 2021 at 22:00.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It was easy for me. I was up and running in a few minutes when I first installed the Chromecast. And earlier today it was the same on the old Android TV after resetting it to factory defaults. Of course, I've been using Windows networking for 20+ years.

I recommend you reset your Chromecast to factory defaults and start all over. When you get to the Add Video Source dialog don't browse the network. Just enter smb://servername/sharename string in the big list box (as in my first image), and press OK.
    Yah ok I will try it. I have been a tech not a great one for 20 years 2, and I have never heard of SMB, nor would it be common knowledge to check that in windows services. Google search also told me to hit the About logo 7 times ( i thought it was a joke), but it actually allowed for 3rd party installations bc it tells the app you are a developer.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ok Factory reset did not make a difference. Error operation not permitted. Then it suggests my network is not connected. it says it's connected in the network settings of KODI and Chromecast
    Quote Quote  
  16. I tried everything. Even this. it has smbv2 and smbv3. still won't connect.

https://windowsreport.com/system-requires-smb2-higher/
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It was easy for me. I was up and running in a few minutes when I first installed the Chromecast. And earlier today it was the same on the old Android TV after resetting it to factory defaults. Of course, I've been using Windows networking for 20+ years.

Your images are not the same as mine. You have to select windows SMB, then add the rest of the path to the smb://, it still did not work. I don't know.

Now it sees on my network KODI listed in media devices. I was able to see My Movies on UPnP but no shared drives only main c drive. It also would not navigate to the one 2160p file in movies, only 1080p and avi. in UPnP
    Last edited by forsure; 16th May 2021 at 00:08.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I was able to access my movies folder and music folder via UPnP. It also saw KODI in network on shared media, but does not find shared drive with UPnP nor does it recognize .mkv or 2160p file in same folder as 1080p and avi. files that it sees through UPnP. Only can see main "c" drive on UPnP. And I am not even sharing that on purpose, the way you said.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Yes!!!!This thing is awesome now that it works, problem was I needed to load old version of KODI, and then magic with your way...So cool, thanks
    Quote Quote  
  20. I like all the features of KODI, stuff I never thought I was missing in a player. I guess the problem is my wi-fi. It will play and then go into 100 count every 30 seconds or so. I have not tried all moviers. I put refresh on always, and another setting below that in video settings/KODI. Any suggestions for it stopping and starting continuously? Maybe it's bc I am dling big files at the moment on same network? Just thought it stored my movies somewhere in internet heaven.
    Quote Quote  
  21. On my Chromecast I'm running Kodi version 19.0.0, built in Feb. 2021. It was downloaded directly from the official Play Store (it may have updated itself since I originally installed it). The Add Video Source is exactly the same as the image I posted from the older version of Kodi. At least you finally got it working.

Yes, it sounds like your WiFi isn't fast enough for the files you're playing. Even if the average bitrate of the files is ok you may struggle with peaks. One thing you can try is to move the Chromecast farther away from your TV (or other obstructions) with an HDMI extender cable. Try installing and running the Internet Speed Test Fiber Test app. That will tell you what kind of throughput you're getting from the WiFi (unless your internet access is a bottleneck).
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    On my Chromecast I'm running Kodi version 19.0.0, built in Feb. 2021. It was downloaded directly from the official Play Store (it may have updated itself since I originally installed it). The Add Video Source is exactly the same as the image I posted from the older version of Kodi. At least you finally got it working.

Yes, it sounds like your WiFi isn't fast enough for the files you're playing. Even if the average bitrate of the files is ok you may struggle with peaks. One thing you can try is to move the Chromecast farther away from your TV (or other obstructions) with an HDMI extender cable. Try installing and running the Internet Speed Test Fiber Test app. That will tell you what kind of throughput you're getting from the WiFi (unless your internet access is a bottleneck).
    I used 1.8.2. My 1080p files are playing fine through the network. I don't want to stop my dlounds right now, to test if that is affecting playback with some 2160p. How do I tell what my internet access is? I know it is not Fiber. It is getting 58mbs. Twice as fast as when we first started this thread.

AN HDMI Extender or HDMI extension cable? The latter being $5 compared to the former at $100
    Last edited by forsure; 16th May 2021 at 09:36.
    Quote Quote  
  23. You were using Kodi 1.8.2? That's something like 15 years old? Version 2.0.0 was released in 2006.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Releases

A cheap passive HDMI extension cable like:

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Extension-Extender-Compatible-Chromecast/dp/B00A30FLE2/

But if you're getting 58 Mb/s now you probably don't need it. What's the bitrate of the files that are giving you problems?
    Quote Quote  
  24. You were using Kodi 1.8.2? That's something like 15 years old? Version 2.0.0 was released in 2006.
    Nah this one is 2020or so , i prob messed up the dots

The bitrate of the problem's are36.7, 29.8....But like I said I am dling big files at the moment. Those are big soundtrack files. One file at 28.4 did not have any probs.
    I got 39 with Chromecast and 58 with pc which is right next to the router upstairs. I bought the cable anyway, it would be good to have it off the tv and 6 ft closer to router.
    Last edited by forsure; 16th May 2021 at 10:58.
    Quote Quote  
  25. It found metadata or web art for all my files except 3. The only difference I can notice is in the object name it is .mkv, for all 3, while the rest don't have an extension. Extensions are not showing and most files are .mkv. I can only rename it to General Tab. Can I rename the object name to grab web art.
    Quote Quote  
  26. For movies that the scrubber didn't identify press and hold the OK button on the movie until the context menu pops up. Select Scan to Library. It will look for similar names. You can also enter a name manually. Find the movie at IMDB.com and try using any alternate names they show there.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    For movies that the scrubber didn't identify press and hold the OK button on the movie until the context menu pops up. Select Scan to Library. It will look for similar names. You can also enter a name manually. Find the movie at IMDB.com and try using any alternate names they show there.
    Sorry didn't mean to send that. I did something similar with renaming the files. It worked as far as art. Cool program. You don't think that hdmi extension will give me a couple more mb/s. I am going to try to move my router outside the bedroom into the hall and even closer to chromecast.

Can I take remux/ BDMV files that are some 60-100 mb/s bit rate and reduce the bit rate? These are the only ones available. The only reasonable fix is a faster network I guess?

Would Chromecast hard wired to router work best? Hypothetically if I want to run a wire. It's having trouble with a lot of my 2160p files now.

Nah scratch that I did that a little carpet lifting ran that router into the hall and all the difference in the world. Files are playing smooth and getting 60mbs on chromecast rather than 39
    Last edited by forsure; 16th May 2021 at 15:02.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Transport streams have more overhead than MKV files so remuxing them to MKV will reduce the overall bitrate a bit but usually not enough to make a difference in streaming.

It sounds like moving your WiFi router has done the trick. I'm using wired Gigabit Ethernet along with a USB PD hub -- and get about 330 Mb/s.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Transport streams have more overhead than MKV files so remuxing them to MKV will reduce the overall bitrate a bit but usually not enough to make a difference in streaming.

It sounds like moving your WiFi router has done the trick. I'm using wired Gigabit Ethernet along with a USB PD hub -- and get about 330 Mb/s.
    well wippity do dah..u were great, see yah on the next one, let me know when u want to hook me up with langsi speed
    Quote Quote  
  30. In case you're interested, I'm using a hub like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2ZS1B5/

Along with a power supply like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081GYSPVM/

It's important to use a Power Delivery hub because the Chromcast only has one port for power and I/O. The power supply powers the hub, and the hub powers the chromecast (that's what the Power Delivery nomenclature refers to) and provides all the I/O ports.

You could connect your USB hard drive directly to the Chromecast, for example. You might need a more powerful power supply to do that if your drive gets its power from the USB port. 25 watts may not be enough to drive the hub, the chromecast, and the hard drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8CcVqUW72g

Of course, if you only wanted Ethernet you could buy the adapter from google:

https://store.google.com/us/product/chromecast_ethernet_adapter_gen_2?hl=en-US
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th May 2021 at 20:04.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!